Why don't tranny pans have a drain hole?

Boomin_tahoe

Hurtin' feelings errrday.
10+ year member
Jul 24, 2005
WA
Often wondered this. The only way to drain the fluid is to remove all the bolts.

Think I gotta change the gasket on my Tahoe....seeing tranny fluid leaking on my driveway.

wew lad

wew lad inc
Mar 22, 2015
MA
tranny fluid or oil? it's common for GM engines for suvs/trucks have the rear main seal go out. I had to get mine replaced a few months ago.

C1500martin

CarAudio.com Veteran
Mar 24, 2014
Cali
Some do, some dont. new ones do, almost all of them do. You shpuld have a vortec engine no? I thought those had the mewer trannies which do?

OP
Boomin_tahoe

Boomin_tahoe

10+ year member
Jul 24, 2005
WA
tranny fluid or oil? it's common for GM engines for suvs/trucks have the rear main seal go out. I had to get mine replaced a few months ago.
Def tranny fluid. It's reddish in color. And see some fluid surrounding the boltheads too.

OP
Boomin_tahoe

Boomin_tahoe

10+ year member
Jul 24, 2005
WA
Some do, some dont. new ones do, almost all of them do. You shpuld have a vortec engine no? I thought those had the mewer trannies which do?
Vortec yes.

What year did the Vortec come out?

wew lad

wew lad inc
Mar 22, 2015
MA
can you tell where it's coming from?

it's possible that it's leaking from one of the solenoids or sensors in the tranny case, or even one of the lines - they rust out sometimes

OP
Boomin_tahoe

Boomin_tahoe

10+ year member
Jul 24, 2005
WA
can you tell where it's coming from?
it's possible that it's leaking from one of the solenoids or sensors in the tranny case, or even one of the lines - they rust out sometimes
Not really. Threw a piece of cardboard under it yesterday....with multiple places it looks like but that could be the drippings from the pan and bolts. Suppose I could wipe it clean then take a look lying on my back....I should have my old lady look at it. She's used to being on her back anyway lmao!

wew lad

wew lad inc
Mar 22, 2015
MA
yeah definitely wipe it clean and start at the top of the engine and work your way down to the tranny when looking for leaks. could be a lot of things unfortunately lol, replacing the rear main seal requires dropping the tranny so i'd try to be sure what the problem is first.

**** if your girl would do that for you then you picked the right one

OP
Boomin_tahoe

Boomin_tahoe

10+ year member
Jul 24, 2005
WA
I did notice the tranny fluid level is way past the level line on the dipstick. Which is weird because I never added any. Wonder if it's this hot weather causing it to expand.

wew lad

wew lad inc
Mar 22, 2015
MA
err i hate to be the bearer of bad news but that might mean there's oil or coolant leaking into your tranny fluid.

or, it was overfilled - also bad. how did the oil look when you changed it last?

OP
Boomin_tahoe

Boomin_tahoe

10+ year member
Jul 24, 2005
WA
err i hate to be the bearer of bad news but that might mean there's oil or coolant leaking into your tranny fluid.
or, it was overfilled - also bad. how did the oil look when you changed it last?
It's def dark. Prob time for an oil change anyway.

SilverSquared

Fat guy on the GROUND.
10+ year member
Dec 12, 2005
Southeast Louisiana
Check tranny fluid after about a 10 mile drive. Needs to be at operating temp.

While running, and you're at your point to check, put it in each gear for about 10 seconds.

After cycling thru, put it in neutral and apply parking brake. Leave engine running.

Check fluid level.

NASTY08IMPALA

CarAudio.com Veteran
Aug 29, 2012
LOUISVILLE, KENTUCKY
No most new ones dont....mine doesnt even have a servicable filter ..has to be flushed with a machine every 100k

OP
Boomin_tahoe

Boomin_tahoe

10+ year member
Jul 24, 2005
WA
^^Tis true. I have heard of that before.

I like older vehicles better. Newer ones making it more difficult to work on.

ThatChevyGuy

sue me, its a ford.
10+ year member
Jul 16, 2006
Georgia
Vortec yes.
What year did the Vortec come out?
ls 5.3 first year was '99.

they make a plug you can install on your pan to drain it. Was kind of a bitch to install and i was told they will almost always leak but worked out great on mah race car. Now i would have to think about having that on a daily driver...

OP
Boomin_tahoe

Boomin_tahoe

10+ year member
Jul 24, 2005
WA
Then I must not have a vortec then....hell now I'll have to look tomorrow.

Oil pans have a drain plug, yet their surrounded by a bunch of bolts just like the tranny pan is. I have heard of people drilling a hole then thread it and getting a oil pan bolt w/washer to plug er up. Might be easier to spot weld a nut on the inside of the pan and line it up with the hole. Then get the proper threaded bolt as your plug.

C1500martin

CarAudio.com Veteran
Mar 24, 2014
Cali
You have a 1st gen vortec 95-98 i think you have a 5.7 right? The 99+ have a 5.3 just did the tranny gaslet on one last week

Its an 01 tahoe 5.3l

OP
Boomin_tahoe

Boomin_tahoe

10+ year member
Jul 24, 2005
WA
Yeah 5.7

Hey I see a drain plug on that pan!! No fair lol

So maybe some do some don't. It would cost me around 20 bucks for the gasket and filter.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts

Trending topics

Latest classifieds