Hook up amp & sub , amp don’t power on

Participant count
  • Participant list

mmouse223

CarAudio.com Newbie
last night I attempted to hook up amp and sub to car only to notice the amp didn’t power on at all, tried tapping into only 1 rear speaker side instead of 2. Checked ground , power , sand the ground of paint. Any idea what would cause this issue ?

Only issue i can think of now I thought about it is that I cut some of the blue “remote” wire I had left over and used it as 12v wire to run from loc to 12v of amp , would that cause issues or do you need a specific wire for that?

Only issue i can think of now I thought about it is that I cut some of the blue “remote” wire I had left over and used it as 12v wire to run from loc to 12v of amp , would that cause issues or do you need a specific wire for that?
What do you mean by this? What loc are you using?
Are you using this wire to power the loc or are you trying to use this wire as the remote for the amp? Or something else?

what LOC are you using? You may need to switch it to "AUTO" and you will want both left and right speaker wires in.

In some cars, the rear audio signal is really weak, which will not help with an auto turn-on circuit in a LOC.

what LOC are you using? You may need to switch it to "AUTO" and you will want both left and right speaker wires in.

In some cars, the rear audio signal is really weak, which will not help with an auto turn-on circuit in a LOC.
1696974125871.jpeg

What do you mean by this? What loc are you using?
Are you using this wire to power the loc or are you trying to use this wire as the remote for the amp? Or something else?
I’m tried to use the blue remote wire to power the loc and to use the remote

Used remote wire that came with amp wiring kit
Remote wire from loc to “remote” on amp.
Yellow wire to 12v power in same slot with power wire from battery to amp

Unhooked it but might try again , haven’t used amp in 2 years but I think it should still work

Last edited:
I’m tried to use the blue remote wire to power the loc and to use the remote

Used remote wire that came with amp wiring kit
Remote wire from loc to “remote” on amp.
Yellow wire to 12v power in same slot with power wire from battery to amp

Unhooked it but might try again , haven’t used amp in 2 years but I think it should still work
So if I'm understanding you correctly, you wired the remote and power for the loc to the remote and power terminals on the amp? Theoretically that should work. If you've got a multimeter on hand you can check the rcas coming off the loc for voltage. play some music and probe the rca to see if youve got a signal. Set the multimeter to ac voltage, positive probe on the center pin of the rca and negative probe to the outer metal barrel of the rca. Make sure not to short the two of them while you do it tho.

last night I attempted to hook up amp and sub to car only to notice the amp didn’t power on at all, tried tapping into only 1 rear speaker side instead of 2. Checked ground , power , sand the ground of paint. Any idea what would cause this issue ?

The amp should have a connection for the blue turn-on wire. If you ran the wire to the 12V connection on the amp, it won't work. Possibly blow a fuse and cause some negative issues. Run the blue wire to the turn-on connection on your amp and check fuses to make sure you didn't blow any. What type of amp do you have, so we can google it and look at your connections.

The amp should have a connection for the blue turn-on wire. If you ran the wire to the 12V connection on the amp, it won't work. Possibly blow a fuse and cause some negative issues. Run the blue wire to the turn-on connection on your amp and check fuses to make sure you didn't blow any. What type of amp do you have, so we can google it and look at your connections.
No I mean I ran the blue turn on wire on the loc “remote” to the “remote” of the amp so it can turn on amp

Cut and used the remaining of the blue wires left over to ran the yellow of the loc (12v to the power in the same slot as power wire )

I’m guessing my amp just bad after sitting in the car a year unused , or either I really have to tap in on both right and left speakers or actually ground the loc (only amp grounded )

Last edited:
It’s power acoustik rzr1-2500d amp I installed it previously on 2 other cars and worked perfectly but had a aftermarket radio with rca slots , no loc was used then

Last edited:
No I mean I ran the blue turn on wire on the loc “remote” to the “remote” of the amp so it can turn on amp

Cut and used the remaining of the blue wires left over to ran the yellow of the loc (12v to the power in the same slot as power wire )

I’m guessing my amp just bad after sitting in the car a year unused , or either I really have to tap in on both right and left speakers or actually ground the loc (only amp grounded )
Okay I misunderstood what you were saying. So neither end of your remote wire is connected to the vehicles remote wire? That's probably going to be your issue. I forgot you said the amp isnt turning on at all. That remote wire needs to go to the remote wire at the back of the headunit. Then you can add a jumper wire from the loc to the amp. That way they are both getting a remote signal from the vehicle. That loc doesnt have any instructions on the install bay website so I cant be 100% sure but I'm pretty confident that is a remote input, not an output. Also, if there's a ground wire on the loc then yes it needs to be grounded just like any other electrical device, otherwise the circuit won't be completed and it won't get any power.

Okay I misunderstood what you were saying. So neither end of your remote wire is connected to the vehicles remote wire? That's probably going to be your issue. I forgot you said the amp isnt turning on at all. That remote wire needs to go to the remote wire at the back of the headunit. Then you can add a jumper wire from the loc to the amp. That way they are both getting a remote signal from the vehicle. That loc doesnt have any instructions on the install bay website so I cant be 100% sure but I'm pretty confident that is a remote input, not an output. Also, if there's a ground wire on the loc then yes it needs to be grounded just like any other electrical device, otherwise the circuit won't be completed and it won't get any power.
Ok thanks a lot I thought only remote wire need to go from loc to amp only because auto sense would kick in / recognize and turn amp on /off

Got it , LOC black wire actually needed to be grounded . Every video I watched said said it doesn’t and that’s just to reduce noise but apparently that wasn’t true

Thanks everyone

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...