Which sub?

Participant count
  • Participant list

mestapho

I’m thinking of gaining some trunk space by switching from my 4 8’s to a single 12.  

I have a couple of questions.

I’m running the 4 Blaupunkt 8’s with a Pioneer GMD 9601 at 1 ohm. I’m really surprised at how good these 8’s sound and how loud they get. I just would like a bit more trunk room as it’s my daily driver/family sedan.

I’m looking at a B-stock SA12 for $170 (maybe a refurb at $150) or the Wolfram AG12 for $189.  Either would be dual 2 wired to 1 ohm with the 9601 @ 1200 watts

I imagine I won’t lose any and likely will gain SQ switching to either of these. My concern is volume. I’d really like to be as loud or a little louder.  Will I retain sq/spl, assuming a good enclosure?  I’m thinking 1.75-2 net at 32-34 Hz  

looking at the T/S #’s it appears the Sundown will work better in a smaller enclosure than the Wolfram will - VAS/Cms #’s.  As gaining trunk space is my main goal that’s where I’m leaning.   Any other subs in the up to $200 price point you’d get instead? Why?  

My only concern going sundown over wolfram is it appears the Wolfram would be able to take higher power (I know the sa will do way above rated) and I’ve got an itch to get an Orion XTR 1500.1 that’ll do 1800 at 14V. 

Currently running 

Pioneer MVH S600BS

Pioneer 9601 and 8604

4 Blaupunkt 8” in 4 cubes at 36Hz

Pioneer TS-M650PRO in the door

Vifa eBay tweets in the A-pillars

Stock electrical pending Big 3

Music:  everything but country

It's gonna be hard to beat the 8's because of cone area. It's not to say it can't be done but I imagine it'll take more than just switching to a 12 and the same 1200w to beat what you have without sacrificing space. I could see you gaining SQ because of different box and sub setup but when it comes to SPL, you're gonna have to have more power on tap to beat your current setup. I would go atleast 2 cubes net and atleast 2000w on tap if you want anything significant. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The wolfram might be able to handle more power thermally but the sundown is the more efficient of the two. If you arent adding any more power and dont want to loose spl then then you need to maximize efficiency of the sub and box. 

It's gonna be hard to beat the 8's because of cone area. It's not to say it can't be done but I imagine it'll take more than just switching to a 12 and the same 1200w to beat what you have without sacrificing space. I could see you gaining SQ because of different box and sub setup but when it comes to SPL, you're gonna have to have more power on tap to beat your current setup. I would go atleast 2 cubes net and atleast 2000w on tap if you want anything significant. 
Thanks for the repilies. 

That’s what I was worried about. A little less than half the cone area. But was hoping throwing all 1200 watts at one sub with a lot of excursion that it might equal out.   

Hmm. Maybe two 10’s?? Closes the gap on cone area, 600 watts each.

Shoot, I don’t know maybe I’ll just keep what I have then.  These cheap subs sound pretty amazing considering the price.  Maybe just go nicer at 8’s in the future. 

wolfram or FU750  it should be on sale tomorrow idk for how much but mine was $150 few months ago new, now he has bstock $154 check it tomorrow., great sub for that amp i have almost exact same power on mine (just needs 2-2.25cfad).. just remember u need to tune low if u play rebassed or low rap cause 9601 don't have ss filter.. as for the xtr i'd get the wolfram 1500 instead yes the xtr does more power but if u don't need the extra i think wolf maybe more efficient

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.