Limited Space. Need sub and amp rec.

onemoreday21
10+ year member

Florida
Alright, I'm looking to install a sub w/amp in my 2011 F-150 and I'm quite honestly not sure where to start.

I had some experience with car audio in my late teens but since then have been pretty well out of the loop, so I'm essentially starting from scratch. As of right now, all I have is a sub box.  I'd like to stick with the current box as I haven't been able to find anyone local capable of building me something custom (admittedly, I haven't done much more than a cursory search) and I don't have the time and questionable skills to build something on my own.  With that said, if the box is really going to hold me back, I'd be willing to explore other options.

In any case, the current box I have is a sealed unit with a cutout for a single 10" driver.  It has roughly .7 cu ft of internal volume and fits underneath my rear seat ("Supercab") with the sub oriented in a downward firing position.  So, obviously, I'm looking for a single 10" sub. ? The only sticking point here is I only have about 5" of mounting depth to work with, so I'm pretty much stuck with "shallow" drivers. 

I primarily listen to rock and country music with quick hitting bass notes, so I'm really looking for a setup that has good accuracy and response time (probably not the appropriate terminology) that can keep up with fast/short bass notes.  With that said, I'd like something that has some decent "kick" to it for lack of a better word, but understand that I'm probably pushing it with a single 10" sub.

I'd like to keep total costs for the amp and sub (not including wiring and other assorted stuff) under $700-$800 if at all possible, but willing to go a little higher if it'll make a big difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dayton HO should fit the bill. .7 cut ft is just about what it needs and the mounting depth is 5.37". Very stout SQ sub that's very affordable. 

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-rss265ho-4-10-reference-ho-subwoofer-4-ohm--295-462
Sadly, I don't think that'll work.  Max I can go on the box I have is 5.25" and it'll really be a little less than that depending on how big the magnet/basket are on the back of the woofer since it's an angled underseat box.

Alpine  s series or swt might work for ya. Idk what you're looking to spend or how much power you're planning on running. A couple of options if you're budget minding. Both look like they might  be a little  happier in a ported box. I know if it were me I'd be happier. You could always go ported later. 

Sadly, I don't think that'll work.  Max I can go on the box I have is 5.25" and it'll really be a little less than that depending on how big the magnet/basket are on the back of the woofer since it's an angled underseat box.

Alpine  s series or swt might work for ya. Idk what you're looking to spend or how much power you're planning on running. A couple of options if you're budget minding. Both look like they might  be a little  happier in a ported box. I know if it were me I'd be happier. You could always go ported later. 
I had taken a look at and was pretty heavily considering the SWT, but after reading some so-so reviews, I wasn't too sure.  Do you have any experience with that specific woofer?

In any case, budget isn't all that big of a consideration.  I'd like to keep it around $700-$800 for woofer and amp (without wiring and stuff), but I can go higher or lower as necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stereo integrity bm mkiv, or bm mkv
I'm really liking the look and specs (to the level that I actually understand them) on the MkV and the price isn't too bad either.  Does anyone have experience with these in a sealed enclosure? 

Box volume seems to be right on and it would be easy to open up the existing opening for a 10" sub to fit the 12" MkV.

Your options open up a bit if you would consider doing a seat lift.  
I've looked into it and it seems like it'll be an enormous PITA for my specific truck.  The back of the rear seat is fixed to the rear wall of the cab (only partially attaches to the seat frame), so that would leave me with figuring out another way to mount the rear of the seat. 

I've looked into it and it seems like it'll be an enormous PITA for my specific truck.  The back of the rear seat is fixed to the rear wall of the cab (only partially attaches to the seat frame), so that would leave me with figuring out another way to mount the rear of the seat. 
You checked LMI? They are probably the best for FOrd seat lifts.

FINALLY!!! Someone else recommending this bad boy!!
Lots of people reccomend them before the whole Japan warehouse disaster.

They always made a good product, but when the build house in Japan had to be evacuated it halted production making them very hard to come by.

This site has been very slow lately. So you dont hear about them often. Over at diyma they are prolly used more since they are a sq sub

Lots of people reccomend them before the whole Japan warehouse disaster.

They always made a good product, but when the build house in Japan had to be evacuated it halted production making them very hard to come by.

This site has been very slow lately. So you dont hear about them often. Over at diyma they are prolly used more since they are a sq sub
I meant specifically the shallow mount model of this brand

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.