Which sub / how much power do I need?


apocalipzs

CarAudio.com Newbie
Feb 22, 2019
1
0
I drive a 2013 Ford Focus. I listen to rock music 90% of the time. The other 10% is a mix of everything from bassy stuff to American country.

The audio in the focus is terrible. My last car, 2016 skoda fabia with the stock bolero sound system was actually really good. First time getting into car audio so I don't have anything to compare to really. I'm not into making the windows shake and rattle or big thumpy bass, I'd prefer more clean quality bass.

I do use the boot space a lot so I can't just whack in 4 12" subs in a massive box. I need to keep price down. I was thinking about one of the under seat subs or a slimline sub box in the boot. Which do you think better suits my needs? 

Also, is there a sound quality difference between using speaker level inputs and using the preamp? Would prefer to keep the stock head unit but no pre amp outs.

 

Jeffdachef

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
Feb 5, 2013
18,235
679
South Coast Metro, CA
I drive a 2013 Ford Focus. I listen to rock music 90% of the time. The other 10% is a mix of everything from bassy stuff to American country.

The audio in the focus is terrible. My last car, 2016 skoda fabia with the stock bolero sound system was actually really good. First time getting into car audio so I don't have anything to compare to really. I'm not into making the windows shake and rattle or big thumpy bass, I'd prefer more clean quality bass.

I do use the boot space a lot so I can't just whack in 4 12" subs in a massive box. I need to keep price down. I was thinking about one of the under seat subs or a slimline sub box in the boot. Which do you think better suits my needs? 

Also, is there a sound quality difference between using speaker level inputs and using the preamp? Would prefer to keep the stock head unit but no pre amp outs.
a single powerful 8 in a 1/4 wave transmission line enclosure. Buy the design and build it yourself. Buy an 8 that has a high FS of 35 to 40hz with 500 rms handling and about a 750 to 1000 rms amp.  No i'm not saying 8s are better for rock, you just have zero space for anything bigger in a proper enclosure.

 

Bobbytwonames

Conspiracy Theorist
Aug 28, 2018
2,428
-98
Two VFL8D4's in a custom box. Standard cab 2005 Dodge behind the seat. Sub up port up. DDM80 amp. 900 @ 1 ohm. A little flex.

20191225_210449.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: macsdad

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.


Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)



Latest posts

Newest threads

Latest classifieds