Which DSP?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Sguirrelfeather

Senior VIP Member
Yeah, there are a lot of these threads on here. I've read until I'm almost blue in the face. lol I've settled on two which are within my budget and SEEM to have the features I want. First is the mini C-DSP 6x8. Second is the JFA Electronics DSP DX5. I'm leaning toward the C-DSP, but I want some quick input.

The system is in a Ford Excursion, so I've got three sets of components: Front, Middle, Rear. 5 1/2 mids, 3/4" tweets, sub box in the far back. I've got a FSD-2600 powering the subs and will have a CT-Sounds 150.6 for the rest. (currently down an amp so I'm only running one set) Anyway, I want something I can auto set to get a good baseline. I can't tell from the website if the JFA does that or not, but I know the C-DSP can.

Overall, I have read that the C-DSP is the best bang for the buck. True when compared to the JFA still? If so, or if the JFA can't do the auto set with a mic, then I'll just get the C-DSP.

And another question...I've read, and am really confused by, a statement which said you cannot change the volume with the HU when a DSP is connected. Is this true? Or was this only true of some DSPs?

Sorry if this seems stupid. I'm still learning about these.

Yeah, there are a lot of these threads on here. I've read until I'm almost blue in the face. lol I've settled on two which are within my budget and SEEM to have the features I want. First is the mini C-DSP 6x8. Second is the JFA Electronics DSP DX5. I'm leaning toward the C-DSP, but I want some quick input.
The system is in a Ford Excursion, so I've got three sets of components: Front, Middle, Rear. 5 1/2 mids, 3/4" tweets, sub box in the far back. I've got a FSD-2600 powering the subs and will have a CT-Sounds 150.6 for the rest. (currently down an amp so I'm only running one set) Anyway, I want something I can auto set to get a good baseline. I can't tell from the website if the JFA does that or not, but I know the C-DSP can.

Overall, I have read that the C-DSP is the best bang for the buck. True when compared to the JFA still? If so, or if the JFA can't do the auto set with a mic, then I'll just get the C-DSP.
C-DSP6x8 does not auto set anything. I think you're referring to the Room EQ Wizard integration, which can potentially drastically shorten the EQ tuning portion if you have the right equipment and learn how to use it. Even if you get all the right hardware and REW and dump your EQ settings into the DSP I think you have too much going on as a beginner.

Do you really need the rear speakers?

The JFA DSP DX5 gets a hard pass from me. The Bluetooth optional feature looks neat, but based on the Android app that I just demo'd this DSP appears to be a bit limited. It doesn't look bad, but C-DSP6x8 appears to be better and you won't have to deal with a foreign language.

And another question...I've read, and am really confused by, a statement which said you cannot change the volume with the HU when a DSP is connected. Is this true? Or was this only true of some DSPs?
This is not always true. If the factory radio changes the EQ as the volume is increased, such as reducing the bass to protect the speakers, then you might have limited use of the HU volume knob after adding a DSP. Even a changing sound curve doesn't always mean you would have to set the volume and use an aftermarket knob connected to the DSP.

Hmmm...I neglected to say what my HU is. Oops! I have a JVC KW-910BT. No adjustments as volume increases. So that means I should be fine still using the HU knob, yes?

And while I may not NEED the rear speakers, I do have three rows of seating, and when I have a truck full of 8 people, I'm sure they would at least appreciate me having them. lol

Really, I'm just looking for a DSP I can use for that many sets of speakers and the sub, so that I can really get this sounding better. I've already done just about everything I can to eliminate buzzing panels, dampen outside sounds, etc, but I can still perceive a little "offness" with the music. The right side's highs, for instance, just aren't as crisp and it hits wrong....until I move to the center of the truck, and then it sounds fine.

Without going even higher in budget, are there any others one might recommend if the C-DSP isn't appropriate?

Get the front right and people 3 cars behind you can enjoy it. But you will only get perfect sound from the drivers seat. It will sound like crap everywhere else. You can have presets to make it ok in every seat

Get the front right and people 3 cars behind you can enjoy it. But you will only get perfect sound from the drivers seat. It will sound like crap everywhere else. You can have presets to make it ok in every seat
That's kinda what I was hoping for....I spend the majority of time in the truck alone, but when I have riders, I figured I could change to a preset so everyone would have a decent listening experience.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.