Advice with new system configuration

Participant count
  • Participant list

elpruss

I have 04 Nissan Titan Crew Cab, current system is a Pioneer P3300bt with factory Rockford Fosgate amp and speakers.

I just purchased and will be installing the following:

2 sets of JL C2-650 components (front & rear)

1 - JL 10W0v3 sub in a custom enclosure (under the rear seat)

1 - Zapco ST-5X-II (5 channel amp)

I'm considering upgrading my HU to the Pioneer AVH-4200NEX or another model with 3 way active crossover.

My question is this... should I wire my speakers in a 3way active setup? The 4 tweeters wired parallel to the front channels for the highs (2 tweeters to each front channel right and left). The 4 - 6.5's wired parallel to the rear channel for mids (2 - 6.5 to each rear channel right and left). The single Sub to the 5th channel.

OR... would I be better off wiring each component set (tweeter & 6.5") to each of the 4 channels and use the included JL passive crossovers?

If I use my current HU I will use the X-overs built into the amp, if I upgrade to a HU with 3 way active X-over, I'll set the amp to full and use the HU X-over.

Active will always get you better results. But it won't be perfect without a EQ for each channel and knowing how to use it. With those speakers it won't be that good either way unless the mid is eye level and pointed straight at your face

Thanks for the input. I know it won't be perfect, most notably I wouldn't be able to use the time alignment and/or auto eq feature of the 4200NEX (if I go that route). So would I be better off using the passive setup with the time alignment / auto eq features or going active?

What's the issue with the C2-650? I've read mostly positive reviews.

These where recommended based on my $1000 budget for the complete system (amp/speakers/sub).

Is their another set of 2-way components at a similar price point you would recommend over the JLs?
How much would you be paying for the JLs?

When going that cheap I always go to one of the Harmon brands. JBL, infinity. They still are not that good though. Good tweeters are either not cheap or require fab work to fit

I already bought them for $180, but haven't installed yet, so I could offload them and get something else if I decide.

I really don't want to spend more than $200 (+or-) per pair. That said... maybe I'd be better off spending $300 on the front stage and $100 (+or-) for coaxial's in the rear.

FYI: Before the JL's were recommended, I was considering Alpine type R.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.