Which Amp? Pioneer gm d8704 or Hertz hcp4?

Participant count
  • Participants list

Grogger

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi there, I just wanted to get some recommendations for a better sound quality 4 channel amp. I am on a budget, so $150-200 max for the amp.
I'm upgrading from an alpine kttp445u running my front speakers on 2 channels at ~90watts rms and about 82db s/n ration.
I'm adding an Audison Bit One DSP to create an active separate channel setup for the Polks (specs below). [Btw I got a steal of a deal on the Audison, so it wasn't $750. (-; ]

My thought is to get one of these amps as they seem to offer good value. Pioneer gm d8704 or Hertz hcp4. Then I will likely use the alpine kttp445u to power the rear speakers.
Comparison: The Hertz has a higher s/n ration at like 105db but is only 50watts rms. Also it is AB circuitry so will likely produce more heat generally. The pioneer amp is class D so less heat generally, s/n ratio is like 95db. However it's rated at like 100watts rms at 4ohms.

The other aspect that I haven't researched much is that some people comment on losing sound quality with Class D amps vs. AB amps. I'm not sure the current state of things with that. I suspect that may have been more true in the past, but with better technology in the last couple years that may not be as true anymore? This is just a hunch though, so I'm not sure.

What 4 channel amp do you recommend for my setup? Do you have insight into the sound quality around class D or AB amps?

Thank you!!

My Specs:
I'm in a 2007 toyota corolla.
Alpine 143bt head unit
Audison Bit One DSP
Polk db6502 components in front
Hertz dieci 6x9s in rear
Rockford Fosgate R500x1d to
JL Audio 12 W6v3-4 Subwoofer
I have been using a Clarion Eqs746 equalizer, but this will be removed when Audison Bit One is added.

Go with the Pioneer. You will want the power the Pioneer has. I switched to class d and honestly don’t hear a difference. I like the compact design and power factor.

The higher S/N does make a difference but at a higher cost tho. A/B amps are typically less power for your money so if you're on a budget, a modern class D does make sense. Class D's have come a long way compared to long time ago. As you know, it uses switching technology which is a different language altogether and then it is filtered in the end to make that classic sound wave we all know. So it comes down to the amp design and how good their filter is, not necessarily A/B is better than D but it can be depending on which amp you're talking about. I would pick that pioneer over hertz purely because you're getting more for your money that will be audibly noticeable.

Thanks Folks! I appreciate the feedback. Makes a lot of sense then to get the pioneer and have more power.

Does anyone have experience tuning Audison dsp's? Just curious if there are tips or tricks you have.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.