whats the next forum boner? & a few questions for my fellow bassheads

Participant count
  • Participant list
they sound pretty good mounted below the dash ive heard a pair ran of an arc 4 channel and they sounded great even down by your knees lol. them hdc4's are no joke. with that power tho id just run hdc3s I had a single 15 on a m3a and loved it.

crown anything is amazing. still got any old magazines kicking around? I wonder the msrp on the frank-amp'n stein haha must have been a pretty penny. I do have a soft spot for the ppi art amps wont even lie lol.

continuous as in single ton with that exact amount of power?

I hear you on that ive seen helix processors being used/tuned and it does not look easy. ive been a basshead forever and really hope to step into sq once I can afford it. really does make a difference. and that also is very true unless you have a very keen ear. not to compare but I really cant tell too much of a difference between a pair of some decent arc components to some focals. or at least enough to justifiy spending the extra $1,000+

crown anything is amazing. still got any old magazines kicking around? I wonder the msrp on the frank-amp'n stein haha must have been a pretty penny. I do have a soft spot for the ppi art amps wont even lie lol.
continuous as in single ton with that exact amount of power?

I hear you on that ive seen helix processors being used/tuned and it does not look easy. ive been a basshead forever and really hope to step into sq once I can afford it. really does make a difference. and that also is very true unless you have a very keen ear. not to compare but I really cant tell too much of a difference between a pair of some decent arc components to some focals. or at least enough to justifiy spending the extra $1,000+

I wish I had saved some of those old car audio magazines. I imagine there would be some good laughs at some of the old conventional wisdoms. MSRP on all those limited edition amps was absurd and only highest volume dealers or connected people could even get them.

The definition of continuous power handling I like is what Emminence uses. Clamped power sine wave for 8 hours..... though really if it'll hang for 10 minutes it'll likely hang for hours since as you exceed thermal limits heat builds up to failure levels really quickly. You run your "5000W" sub on a legit 5K amp at 1 ohm and it's likely that most of the time your amp will be seeing far greater than 1 ohm and assuming you listen to what I'd actually define as music, you're at a small fraction again of seeing rated power over a period of time. Now I've seen people play "music" that's just a soft-clipped sine wave with monosyllabic grunts about committing crime and genitals..... throw in a CD of that, hit the right frequency where your amp sees at or close to nominal impedance and your 5000W sub won't last more than 1 song.

Personally I like a retard-proof definition of power handling. I have had the conversation with Jacob at Sundown about this and he rates his stuff pretty much retard proof. It's a good idea from a retail point of view, because you pretty much KNOW anything that comes in broken was abused if you rate things using that definition.

Ever smoke a 40$ cigar? They're really good, but certainly not 4X better than a 10$ one. Same with snobophile priced audio equipment IMO.

you build woofers right? whats up with the sundown team subwoofer. going from what you just said it's built for 5000 watts clamped continuous? or musically. or is there a woofer that can take that kind of abuse non-existent? just seeing the amount of power people are throwing at woofers makes the whole rms/max not make any sense, on music how much impedence raise and fall do you normally see? haha good comparison. like I said I never really noticed anything making it worth the extra amount of loot.

bandpass vs transmission vs sealed vs ported vs horn vs etc. (if you had to pick one) (and why)
They can all sound good but they all have different applications. It all comes down to what your goals are and how much space you are willing to give up. Bandpass is for increased output at a narrower frequency range. T-lines are good for flat responses and still get decently loud. Sealed can be good for smaller spaces and it's simple to build. Ported/vented can sound good while having extra output at the tuning frequency. Horns kinda resemble bass reflex boxes except that it has a larger opening in the end, creating more SPL. Starts off with a narrow pathway and expands into a large "horn". There's also Aperiodic, Aperiodic Bi-Chamber (aka ABC box), isobaric, Passive radiators, Infinite baffle, and I'm sure there's more.. There's many variations of everything so again, it all goes back to what your priorities are. I wish there was one enclosure that could do it all but it is simply impossible. You have to be willing to compromise to get what you want. There is no best. You choose what's best for your application.

Last edited by a moderator:
you build woofers right? whats up with the sundown team subwoofer. going from what you just said it's built for 5000 watts clamped continuous? or musically. or is there a woofer that can take that kind of abuse non-existent? just seeing the amount of power people are throwing at woofers makes the whole rms/max not make any sense, on music how much impedence raise and fall do you normally see? haha good comparison. like I said I never really noticed anything making it worth the extra amount of loot.
I think it can handle it musically though it's not like it's gonna see 5000w continuously with music. Tantric SHD is rated at 5000w rms musically also.

It's very telling about the change in the industry in regards to how quickly and cheaply someone can get to 150 where a decade ago it took a good deal of testing and adjusting and testing repeat.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.