What's a good 4 channel?

QueSound15
10+ year member

I know a thing or two....
Hey guys, looking to upgrade my 4 channel. I currently run an old scho USA made soundstream p205. Not enough power for my new components.

I need something 100rms to each channel at 4 ohms.

But my budget is around $100, maybe $150.

Anything worth buying in that price range?

try to see if woofersetc or online car stereo will pricematch, for a little more you can get the PPI 800.4 which is one of the most sought after 4 channel now 145w @ 4ohm and awesome crossover

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

you can probably get an mb quart 125.4 at your price range

try to see if woofersetc or online car stereo will pricematch, for a little more you can get the PPI 800.4 which is one of the most sought after 4 channel now 145w @ 4ohm and awesome crossover 

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 PM ----------

you can probably get an mb quart 125.4 at your price range
Why is the ppi so sought after? Jw

I would highly recommend to get a PPI Phantom P900.4. It's small efficient and powerful. The price is a bit higher than your budget, but the improvement over cheaper amps is real. If you want to spend less take a look at PPI Black Ice 4-channel amplifiers. They should do their rated power (I have seen a test of 800.4) and cost significantly less, but being Class A/B amps they're much bigger than the P900.4.

By the way, recently, I have been seeing a lot of places selling Alpine F300 amplifier for under $150. Vendors must be getting rid of their old stock (I think this is a discontinued model). These amplifiers are underrated by some 25%. They have very low noise, low distortion, high channel separation, they run very efficiently and take little space. Besides a bit more power, I don't know what one could ask for in this price range. Perhaps this is not a great subwoofer amp, but it will be sufficient for 95% of speakers out there.

PS: One excellent amp for under $100 is MB Quart REF4. These were quite good very clean output and quite underrated, but now discontinued. Some vendors still have old stock and sell them for a "song". I believe Sonicelectronix is selling MB Quart REF4.50 for like $90 and MB Quart REF1.800 for $110. The only issue with REF4 is that these are quite capable Class A/B amplifiers in a very small chassis. I have a REF4.80. It gets stupid hot in the summer. If put accidentally some cargo next to it that obstructs air flow, it can easily shutdown. I do like it as the sound is quite nice, and it was tested to provide 4x110watts RMS power at 4ohm (rated for 4x80). I suppose the REF4.50 is also a quite amp, but it will probably be sensitive to how you install it. The Alpine F300, being a Class D amp, should not have such problems. For this budget Alpine would be my top pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Rockford PBR300X4 I got for $145.00 running my speakers. The birth sheet showed it put out 85 watts per channel at 4 ohms. Debating on buying a second one for the wifes car, but I've been searching around for amps in the same budget range of under $150.

Don't jack around and get a ppi phantom 900.4 . They are running 185.00$ on amazon or sonic. I am very pleased with mine very small amp too it can literally fit in the glove box. It's output is crazy as well I have it running 4 infinity kappas and it is more than most people can handle volume wise.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.