What would be better then 2 kicker 41l7122

Trevor Weinberg said:
What’s the point of having a forum  for car audio that no one can answer questions  instead of writing stupid responses on how to save your time and mine just keep it to yourself. 
Sundown U, Sundown X, Sundown Z. Wolfram AU, DC level 4, 5, 6. These will all blow L7s away.

You’re right I guess I should’ve put a number on what I wanted. I know my 2 l5 at 1200 rms did over 130  but that’s as high as the meter that I had went . when I put the system in the car I knew the limitations of the car there’s no way I could fit a ported box and still  have room for everything else I want. I didn’t think I would get 150 DB in that car  unless I purpose built it for that, but it’s a daily driver I just want  something louder than I have now. I know my system now makes the rearview mirror of the car shake next to me. I have an appointment with the car audio shop to look at the car to see if they could build a ported box for the sundown subs. For just the woodbox I’m getting quotes from 250 to 500 is that about average?
Quit saying woodbox. It's a goddam enclosure or box. That's it. Nothing more/less. It's not made from anything else.

Quit saying woodbox. It's a goddam enclosure or box. That's it. Nothing more/less. It's not made from anything else.
Because they’re only made out of wood right not fiberglass  or any other material.  I don’t know about you but everywhere I go they charge more for a fiberglass enclosure. I would think that would be cheap for a fiberglass box but a little on the expensive side for a wood one so I would’ve thought you needed to know what the box was made out of to know if that was a good or bad price, And second if that bothers you so much get a life. There’s so many angry people on here that  worry about other people and not themselves and need to get laid 

Because they’re only made out of wood right not fiberglass  or any other material.  I don’t know about you but everywhere I go they charge more for a fiberglass enclosure. I would think that would be cheap for a fiberglass box but a little on the expensive side for a wood one so I would’ve thought you needed to know what the box was made out of to know if that was a good or bad price, And second if that bothers you so much get a life. There’s so many angry people on here that  worry about other people and not themselves and need to get laid 
Technically speaking, the more appropriate term for any box made from wood would be box or enclosure, to a lot of us: ported/vented enclosure are the most common. T-line enclosure is another. Not woodbox. Never heard of it and sounds stupid, esp coming from you. Now, any type of enclosure made from fiberglass would be a fiberglass sub enclosure. There ya have it. Some great car audio knowledge to run to the store with.  Tell you what....I'll worry about getting laid and you worry about trying to stuff 2 15's in a trunk of a car the size of a small dormroom refridgerator.

Gonna build a wall from wood....called a woodwall. It's gonna house 4 15's in a C pillar in my Tahoe(Like wtf?!)

T-line woodbox

Sealed woodbox

Ported/vented woodbox

4th order woodedbox made from wood

Woody Haarrelson

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

The biggest issue i see in all of this, is what some keep repeating, the box is too small... Now, i know more than enough to compare a Kicker CompC (from the late 90's) to an L7, but its what i have to work with. I had two CompC's in a 1.25cu per sub box (sealed) and it filled the entire back of my 90 Talon, i had to make struts to raise it to about a 35 degree angle so it would clear the strut towers. I hot rodded a shitty Radio Shack 170w amp and ran it at 2ohm mono and pulled 139.2 official, with a cassette tape in the stock deck. It did 148.x official with the windows down.

Id bet a decent amount of money that if you went with a single 12" L7 in a properly sized box and threw 1000w at it, you wouldnt be able to breathe. Something you never mentioned is how you have it wired up? At they single or dual VC? 4 or 2ohm?

Last edited by a moderator:
The biggest issue i see in all of this, is what some keep repeating, the box is too small... Now, i know more than enough to compare a Kicker CompC (from the late 90's) to an L7, but its what i have to work with. I had two CompC's in a 1.25cu per sub box (sealed) and it filled the entire back of my 90 Talon, i had to make struts to raise it to about a 35 degree angle so it would clear the strut towers. I hot rodded a shitty Radio Shack 170w amp and ran it at 2ohm mono and pulled 139.2 official, with a cassette tape in the stock deck. It did 148.x official with the windows down.

Id bet a decent amount of money that if you went with a single 12" L7 in a properly sized box and threw 1000w at it, you wouldnt be able to breathe. Something you never mentioned is how you have it wired up? At they single or dual VC? 4 or 2ohm?
when did you meter? was it on a term lab magnum recently or the old audio control meters in the 90s because those were extremely inaccurate.

when did you meter? was it on a term lab magnum recently or the old audio control meters in the 90s because those were extremely inaccurate.
1998 at an IASCA event. I was 3rd place, dude with a Civic hatch and 2 Comp 12's (and i dont remember what amp) did 139.3 and right before they shut down, a dude with another CIvic hatch running two 12" XPL's on an unknown amp (0-250w class) blew a 143.1 taking first place. So, i dont know what measuring equipment they had at either event, the 148.x was at a different one the following year. But you should have seen the looks when i got out of the lane after the tech said "Radio Shack amp" lol. The guy peeks in to grab the mic and was like "WTF did you do to that amp??!!".

With the same setup in my 86 Mazda 626 in 1997 i blew 132.9 with a CD, wanna say Dream Theater Images and Words track 6, starts off with a deep kb solo.

dude with another CIvic hatch running two 12" XPL's on an unknown amp (0-250w class) blew a 143.1 taking first place. So, i dont know what measuring equipment they had 

With the same setup in my 86 Mazda 626 in 1997 i blew 132.9
Those were probably audiocontrol meters. I had a 1986 626... competed in 0-250 and went over 150 consistently.  152db outlaw was pretty much where it was. 

Those old cheaters were the **** back in the day.

0-250.... yeah sure.... a power 50x2 and 2 100hc's on a pair of Cv Stroker 15's, 2 batteries and a 175A Mechman that shipped C.O.D.

Probably would have done a 46-7 nowadays.

TL is brutal

Those were probably audiocontrol meters. I had a 1986 626... competed in 0-250 and went over 150 consistently.  152db outlaw was pretty much where it was. 

Those old cheaters were the **** back in the day.

0-250.... yeah sure.... a power 50x2 and 2 100hc's on a pair of Cv Stroker 15's, 2 batteries and a 175A Mechman that shipped C.O.D.

Probably would have done a 46-7 nowadays.

TL is brutal
TL? T-line? Yea, i kinda want to build some for my home.

Ah ok, been out of the "loop" for over 18 years.
Yes... me too... the guys on this forum straightened my "expert opinions" out. It's been a painfully expensive and sometimes embarrassing process relearning what I thought I knew.

Medicine almost never tastes good but it beats the alternative. 

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.