What Wattage is too expensive?

He did not. If you think about it, setups with AGMs and HO alts can drop voltage by quite a bit, so running those setups probably works alts hard.

Maybe not due to a splash, but it depends on what a "splash" was. The coincidence is pretty hard to ignore in his case. There's also a difference between "put it underwater then let it dry out and it still worked" and "put it underwater and tried to run it." Like a hair dryer. Maybe he dumped liquid in it and then cranked his car.

An alternator can function perfectly fine underwater, just like an electric motor. It's possible that his alt already had some kind of damage or a bad section of winding and the coolant/water caused it to short.

Matt

An alternator can function perfectly fine underwater, just like an electric motor. It's possible that his alt already had some kind of damage or a bad section of winding and the coolant/water caused it to short.

Matt

I would expect that as soon as the positive and negative terminals of the alt are both underwater, that'd be an immediate short as soon as it starts conducting. But admittedly I don't know much about how these things work.

I do agree it's a bit of a hassle to install inside the passenger compartment. However, you already have wire going to the back. All you really need is a distribution block under the hood, and big enough wire to the back of the car to handle your alternator output.

It's not for everyone, but after seeing the results for myself I don't think I'll ever buy another AGM for a car that has more than 500-1000w

Matt

It's true. There's two runs of 1/0 already going to the back...the issue is that there's not much space under the rear seats and I'm trying to keep as much cargo capacity as possible. This thing still gets used to haul trailers or carry heavy equipment from time to time. Could probably fit the batteries if I'd accept mangling the factory trim panels a bit. First world problems.

Unrelated...but the SMD fuse block is probably the most satisfying single piece of equipment I've installed in a while. God I love that thing. No more wires dangling around going into random fuse holders. Plus it gives you a bus bar as part of the deal.

Engine bay is dirty...but isn't it beautiful?

Attachments

• IMG_20221214_101839_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221214_101839_HDR.jpg
    521.6 KB · Views: 24
I have run 2k off stock electrical with 130 amp alternator. I did the big three and ran a secondary battery in the back.
You have to think, with box rise you are not gonna pull 2k all the time. On daily listening you are gonna pull 100-1000 watts. If you do competitions and don't do demos before the competition, you can pull close to 2k on burps.

Stock electrical in a sedan can typically handle 1k-1.5k total system power pretty much indefinitely. As long as your voltage is pretty steady with whatever setup you have, you should be good. The SPL guys will experience a lot of voltage drop and that's unavoidable for them without like 15 alternators.

And yeah if you spilled liquid on your alt that is probably what killed it. They are not water proof.

When you say: "Stock Electrical" what does that mean?

Thanks

Engine bay is dirty...but isn't it beautiful?
Very Clean indeed.. Nice.. I have been looking at the Colored versions also at GP Audio for my Rebuild this coming Summer. I may be able to get by with either just one of the 8 spot , or may need two?? Havent really looked at that yet. Deff looking at these for inside. I like my Stinger Pros.. but.. LOL These look pretty Nice for sure 👀 👀 💩

Last edited:
Very Clean indeed.. Nice.. I have been looking at the Colored versions also at GP Audio for my Rebuild this coming Summer. I may be able to get by with either just one of the 8 spot , or may need two?? Havent really looked at that yet. Deff looking at these for inside. I like my Stinger Pros.. but.. LOL These look pretty Nice for sure 👀 👀 💩

Damn that looks fresh... can't wait to see that if you go for it.

When you say: "Stock Electrical" what does that mean?

Thanks

The same model alternator and battery your car came with. I ran about 1.5k combined in a Subaru Legacy for years with no problems and ran that same setup in the Tahoe for a while, too. Seems pretty doable for most decent sized vehicles. If you go much beyond that it gets iffy.

It's like someone said before. When you get to a certain point there's a lot of cost in the electrical upgrades themselves. The good news is that it's kind of satisfying to do the electrical mods IMO.

But once you get your new alt you'll be in better shape than ever before... that's good news right?

Damn that looks fresh... can't wait to see that if you go for it.
ill deff do one of the 8 spot and maybe a 2 or 4.. Prob Blue.I like that color. I dont care for the lights/Light shows inside. Its a rel Biach while trying to drive at night with all the power LEDs on..I may over that up with some super dark Plexy or Sumtin.. 😫😫:poop:

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...