What Size subs??

Participant count
  • Participant list

SSon22s
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Racine,WI
Well Ive decided on the alpine type rs they are in my price range and get loud enough for me, I am going to go with a dual sub setup so what would you guys recommend, do I get 2 12s or 2 15s, I listen to rap/hip-hop and like the lows and want SPL not too much of an sq guy, will my amp even power 15s? I have a Viper D1200.1 (1200wrms@1ohm) so each sub would be getting 600wrms, The 12s are 500wrms and 15s are 750wrms, I think the 15s would be louder but what the hell do i know??

yeah the 15s would be louder with that amp because youll have the cone area advantage but honestly thats just right for each single 15.. actually you could get away with havin each one of those on the 12s.. these things really come alive with a ton of power.. id recommend closer to 750-1000 for the 12s and liek 1000-1400 for the 15s..

if you can fit the 15s well then do it. why not? more sub, more bass, little better lows, etc.

but regardless id suggest more power.. the 12s would be kinda at home with 600 a pop though..

I think this amp is all my electrical system wants to handle...I dont wanna go too much bigger unless I really need too...

yeah the 15s would be louder with that amp because youll have the cone area advantage but honestly thats just right for each single 15.. actually you could get away with havin each one of those on the 12s.. these things really come alive with a ton of power.. id recommend closer to 750-1000 for the 12s and liek 1000-1400 for the 15s..
if you can fit the 15s well then do it. why not? more sub, more bass, little better lows, etc.

but regardless id suggest more power.. the 12s would be kinda at home with 600 a pop though..
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/word.gif.64b12e39f936af3b4fff38a1c0bd0244.gif

if you have the room get 2 15's and upgrade the amp later. i ran 1200rms to my r and it loved it, but i think it could have taken a bit more

then just get a single 15 and run all your power to it.. itll wang.

however.. if you plan on ever upgrading your elec system, then consider the 2 15s or 2 12s.. but i think youd be wasting a little potential and a little $ if you went with 12s and only 600 wrms a pop

Well I had the alpine MRD-m1005 on 2 12 type rs and that thing SLAMMED to me and that is rated at 1000wrms@2ohm so each sub would only be getting 500, I got rid of em cuz i needed cash, then recently i got the viper amp and an IDMAX 12, was pretty nice but I popped the idmax trying to pull to much out of it so now I want louder and im feeling the type rs will do it for me just gotta get the right application, if i did one 15 i dont know if it would be louder than my old dual 12 setup....

it would prolly be close to the same.. but it would save you money... and you would be using the sub for what its worth..

but yeah if you thought your Rs slammed of 500 a piece then go for it if they do get 600 each from this amp then they will be louder.

do whatever you want.. except the 2 15s.. thats what i was trying to say here anyways..

i didnt know you had virtually the same setup before..

Well thanks I guess inturn I really answered my own question LOL...what would you say between one 15 ported vs the 12s ported??

ANother question ran through my head, Would it be worth it to fix my blown idmax and buy another one and run 2 idmaxs off of 1200watts?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.