What size enclosure for this sub?

This is the sub I am talking about:

https://www.parts-express.com/Dayto...eries-High-Excursion-Subwoofer-22-ohm-295-291

It says 2.87cu.ft. for car audio tuned at 40hz. Does that include the ports and speaker displacement? So the box would then be around 2.25cu.ft? Please help me out guys!
They show this on the site. Different specs in manual?
Sealed Volume1ft³
Sealed F355Hz
Vented Volume1.5ft³
Vented F329Hz

Regardless, they are usually recommending the actual volume the speaker "sees". You want to adjust for anything that reduces starting volume, such as port, speaker basket, magnet, bracing, etc.

So I want to go with 2.87cu.ft. GROSS volume... So does that mean 2.25cu.ft. or so after ports and sub displacement? That is the only answer I need answered. Please help guys! I have never heard of a 12" sub enclosure being 2.87cu.ft. after port and sub displacement.

So I want to go with 2.87cu.ft. GROSS volume... So does that mean 2.25cu.ft. or so after ports and sub displacement? That is the only answer I need answered. Please help guys! I have never heard of a 12" sub enclosure being 2.87cu.ft. after port and sub displacement.

You want want NET that is the Enclosure volume before sub and port dispacement.

Also.. I wouldn't tune this sub to 40hz.. Your best bet would be to model the sub or try and find someone willing to do this for you..

what kind of power you throwing at it? What kind of music do you like? What kind of vehicle is it going in?

Be prepared to answer the above questions and possibly more before someone will be willing to do this for you.

"they are usually recommending the actual volume the speaker "sees". You want to adjust for anything that reduces starting volume, such as port, speaker basket, magnet, bracing, etc."
Calculate the displacement of your ancillaries and add that to the internal dimensions so you have the net recommended volume.

And double-check that 2.87 ft3 before you start designing or building. The web link you posted shows very different numbers.

They recommend 1.5 cubes. They recommend 1 cube ported net for the 10. You may be able to go a little over on airspace.

I absolutely would tune this woofer anywhere between the high 20's to the mid 30's, depends on the sound you want. 40 hz is really high.

I can design you a box for this sub, if you want. I've done at least 3 Dayton designs sort of recently, 2 ported and 1 4th order bandpass. These subs are somewhat more HT oriented, but would work well for audio. The type of box you want to put them in would depend on how you want it to sound with your music and what kind of vehicle it's in. If you do a box too big, it'll limit the bandwidth and the box will be super peaky and boomy, possibly. 1.5 cubes is about as small as it gets for 12" ported box sizes. I'm not sure I'd do too much bigger over 1.5 cubes; I'd have to get fairly into designing it to see what box size might be best. This woofer has a decently low Fs, a decently high Vas, and sort of middle ground Cms and Qms (and Q values overall), pretty decent xmax for an 800w RMS rated woofer. You might be able to run it over 1.5 cubes if you want to. You just really gotta figure out how you want it to sound, first.

I'm running the 10 inch model of this sub now. From my modeling, I came up with 1.2 cubes at 30 hz for the 10. Very impressive sub. . When I was modeling the 12, I was looking at doing 1.75 at 31 hz from my modeling, but i went with the 10 instead.

This is what he’s talking about. But it also answers his question. It says 2.87 GROSS internal, INCLUDING driver and port.

I was thinking a box that is 2cu.ft. after port and sub displacements. Port would be 2" x 12" x 31" Tuned at 33hz. Hows that sound?

I was thinking a box that is 2cu.ft. after port and sub displacements. Port would be 2" x 12" x 31" Tuned at 33hz. Hows that sound?
Just hire someone who actually designs boxes to design your box. It’ll save you time and money. Or if you have the time and money, just design and build your own box, and then hire a box designer if you don’t like the sound.

Notice it says "Maximum SPL" with the 2.8 cube gross and 2 4" round ports 12 and a bit inches long to deliver +6dB peak @ 40hz. That would probably not be the best sounding box for music. You will likely want to shrink the box and lower the tuning for something that will play a little more flat.

Parts Express normally has loads of user reviews so you could always just read what others who own one are having good results with or even email parts express and see if they have some other ideas.

Don't have an amp yet but its going in a 2021 Kia Forte GT with Harmon Kardon stereo. Can I just use an Audio Control LC2i for just a sub and leave the stock speakers?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...