Car subwoofer in home

Participant count
  • Participant list

idan167

CarAudio.com Recruit
Hey guys,
My subwoofer at home need a replacment, it is a home theather sub and im thinking to replace it with a car subwoofer.
I mean that I need to replace the sub itself only, the amp and the box will be the same. I know that it wont power it as it should but I think it will be ok.
so my question is, if car audio is working at 4ohm and home audio is 8ohm, how many watts will it actually be?
im not planing to put an spl sub, just so I know how it will work.

Grab a Dayton, peerless, tang band, goldwood, etc. off parts express that is dual 4 or single 8 ohm that matches close to the same wattage. Lots of those are excellent replacements for home audio equipment.

What kind of Home sub do you have?

Every HT plate amp for subs I've owned has been 4 Ohm stable..

How big is the HT enclosure? you will want to find a sub that will work with the enclosure you already own..

Your post is pretty vague and nobody here can give solid advice with the little bit of info you provided.

Can't find a proper replacment in my country, I will need to buy a whole new sub which will be very expensive.
I know I need a 8 ohm sub but car audio doesnt say how the sub will handle at 8ohm because it is not supposed to.
I dont need something crazy just a replacement but I want to know how a 4 ohm sub will work with 8 ohm.
The sub is Alpha Technology xp1200, I dont think you will found something about that sub.

Can't find a proper replacment in my country, I will need to buy a whole new sub which will be very expensive.
I know I need a 8 ohm sub but car audio doesnt say how the sub will handle at 8ohm because it is not supposed to.
I dont need something crazy just a replacement but I want to know how a 4 ohm sub will work with 8 ohm.
The sub is Alpha Technology xp1200, I dont think you will found something about that sub.
You will heat up your amp and probably blow the amp running a 4 ohm sub on it. The sub will be fine.

Hey guys,
My subwoofer at home need a replacment, it is a home theather sub and im thinking to replace it with a car subwoofer.
I mean that I need to replace the sub itself only, the amp and the box will be the same. I know that it wont power it as it should but I think it will be ok.
so my question is, if car audio is working at 4ohm and home audio is 8ohm, how many watts will it actually be?
im not planing to put an spl sub, just so I know how it will work.
I say run it but if you zap your amp don't blame me. And how the hell are we supposed know how many watts bro? You didn't tell us a single thing.

i'm sorry but I dont know as much as you know about car/home audio, I dont know what info to tell you, i said all the things I know.. i thought that every speaker in home audio is supposed to be 8ohm, didnt know that sub is running at 4 ohm.. even tho i searched on google and didnt find what you did.
anyways if its running at 4 ohm i guess it wont be a problem to replace it with a car sub thats running at 4 ohm.
thank you guys for helping, aprriciate that. didnt mean to frustrate you :)

i'm sorry but I dont know as much as you know about car/home audio, I dont know what info to tell you, i said all the things I know.. i thought that every speaker in home audio is supposed to be 8ohm, didnt know that sub is running at 4 ohm.. even tho i searched on google and didnt find what you did.
anyways if its running at 4 ohm i guess it wont be a problem to replace it with a car sub thats running at 4 ohm.
thank you guys for helping, aprriciate that. didnt mean to frustrate you :)

No one is frustrated.. It's just impossible to give GOOD advice when there is unknown variables.

Now that you got the ohm load figured out you need to move onto enclosure space..

If you can use a tape measure then this should be very simple.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...