What Ohm should I pick when choosin a sub ?

Participant count
  • Participant list

toyopl
10+ year member

Yeah, so lots of info here but I couldn't find some easy info on what ohms for what application. I'm gonan be running 2 8's on Sundown sax-125.2 Sundown Audio - SAX-125.2

I was looking at one of these subs and they offer 2ohm/4ohm/8ohm and I'm a little confused because amps mention different amperage at different ohms. I'm guessing there's a lot more reading to really know what you're talking about when it comes to audio :p

Sundown E8 v.2 E8 v.2 Prototype - SSA Car Audio Forum

Image Dynamics ID8V.3 8" Subwoofers

JL 8W3V3 8" Subwoofers

I'm looking at the wiring diagram and punching in the 4ohm dvc or 2ohm svc only showm me to to connect them to a mono amp.

So your saying 2ohm svc just wire them normally each to an amp channel or 4ohm dvc in parallel ?

So your saying 2ohm svc just wire them normally each to an amp channel or 4ohm dvc in parallel ?
yes.

If you buy 4 ohm dvc subs, wire them like this:

1sub2ohms-1.gif

what about 2ohm dvc ? do I run each to each channel ?
- A single 2 ohm dvc sub can only be wired to 1 or 4 ohms, which means you won't be able to get all of your amplifier's available power unless you run two pairs of them.

- There are several possibilities. Your amp does 125 watts rms x2 @ 4 ohms, 200 watts rms x2 @ 2 ohms or 400 watts rms x1 @ 4 ohms. This means you have several different configurations that you can choose from. I'll list a few of them for you.

Four 4 ohm svc subs: Each pair wired to 2 ohms. Two subs per channel

Four 2 ohm dvc subs: Each pair wired to 2 ohms. Two subs per channel

Two 2 ohm svc subs: One sub per channel

Two 4 ohm dvc subs: Each sub wired as I showed earlier in the thread. One sub per channel

One 4 ohm svc sub: Bridge the amplifier to obtain 400 watts rms x1 @ 4 ohms.

One 2 ohm dvc sub: Bridge the amplifier to obtain 400 watts rms x1 @ 4 ohms.

There are other options as well, but the ones listed above should cover pretty much anything you'd want to do.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.