What makes Kicker so bad?

wickedwitt: it's all about aligning the subwoofer (pump) perfectly to a suitable box (transmission) to yield the desired result in a specific place in your vehicle. if that weren't the way it worked, then you would hear no difference every time you moved your enclosure around in the trunk and got back in the driver seat to take a listen. fire the subs in one particular direction (with every enclosure) and it'll get louder than the other 20 directions you fired it. fire it in the same direction but move it over 8" and it's gonna sound different. put the same port(s) on the side versus the front and it sounds different even though every spec of the box is identical to the other box. this is because the second half of the enclosure is changing what you've just changed. there are boxes that will make the 10L7 sound tight in one vehicle and sloppy worst than 2nds with the same box in a different car. same works for the 15" or even an 18" and larger.....they will sound sloppy in WAY more enclosures than they will sound great in. align all the factors properly and you will be hard pressed to pass a blind test as to which sub is playing if all are dialed in to the same reference volume.

let me know if that was helpful or no....

Well in about 2sec I can amass from your avatar that you are an immature instigator
If I was an immature instigator I would say that kicker is overpriced & overmarketed junk made for the generally dumb public in the 17-25 age group who doesn't know any better....

But I never said that //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Of course I did call you a 'nutthugger' not to mention I just bumped this thread full of stupid up again... somay be you are on to something... ?!

If I was an immature instigator I would say that kicker is overpriced & overmarketed junk made for the generally dumb public in the 17-25 age group who doesn't know any better....

But I never said that //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Of course I did call you a 'nutthugger' not to mention I just bumped this thread full of stupid up again... somay be you are on to something... ?!
^^^ ttt, hahaha

My only gripe about Kicker subs is the stupid molded plastic cones in both square and round subs.

Not just ugly, but it makes for cones that weigh more, so they arent as efficient as they could be.

They look like subs designed by an out of work toymaker who used to design Transformers toys in Japan.

I dont think kicker is awful but when I see a CVR at best buy for 350 bucks it makes me mad. Then When you look at the motor/magnet and 65% of it is actually plastic boot, that pisses me off. Same thing with rockford. I wouldnt say that their stuff is junk, because its not. I had a pair of CVRs as my first subs, I beat the **** out of them and never hurt them. They didnt sound the best but you get what you pay for. I have also had countless kicker amps, I dont have anything bad to say about them lol. I wouldnt pay what kicker is asking for their product now a days but I would take it at a discount. the Square subs are nice though because you get some extra cone area. IA or Sundown or SSA or DC etc I could go on about internet brands are more or less home brew subs. These guys are smaller companies and give you the personalized support and depending on the company, a hand built sub. For the same price as a CVR you can grab a monster sub from one of these other companies that usually out performs and sounds better. I would say the biggest factor is probably the cost/quality margin. Its not that they are bad, you just pay for the name. If I could get a solo X for under 200 I certainly would.
ahahahahaha, look at ur fukin sig!!

Ive had various kickers, i liked the old school round solo barics... but i had a L5 12" a few years ago and i swapped in a 15w0v2 JL and for less it blew the doors off the L5. same amp, same setup and same type enclosure. but everyones got different experiences and style preferences. I had a couple KX amps, one blew runing a cheap 10 and one was pretty decent and lasted a while before i traded it. Still got a pair of KS Components and K20 tweeters that arent too bad... just trying to figure out if ima sell em or wait for something to put them in.

They get quite loud, last for years on end, and have wonderful customer service. That is why they are so bad. jokes, I got 'em.

I didnt say you said it would move faster and have equal output, I said you were leaving the equal output factor out of the equation. You mentioned the 12 being able to keep up with rapid bass tracks easier, because its smaller. It has to move faster (and thus more inertia) than a 15, because it will require more excursion to maintain equal output.
What numbers do you want? lol
Audio, I know this is quite late, but I wanted to clarify.
My entire premise was based off the assumption, that the smaller cones would produce less output. For many people that listen to metal, or rock with double kick drums, their objective is drivers that can keep up with the drummer and not sound muddy. Would a 12 have to work harder (move further) in order to produce that same note as powerful as a similar 15? Yes. We agree.

Aren't most (ignore bass head gear here with 12s that are rated for 2500w RMS, I'm strictly talking mainstream, budget drivers here) smaller cones designed around a higher fs, with lower power handling that would be suited for this type of install? I think yes. In this same world (again, mainstream drivers like RF punch series), wouldn't a 15 or 18 be designed for the consumer that listens to rap and slowed music, of which they are focused solely on output and not driver accuracy? Again, I think so. When you talk about mainstream companies, they are appealing to the masses, they aren't people like Jacob of Sundown, or Atomic, where they are trying to get insanely high output 10s or SQ oriented 18s. They are trying to move as much product as they can, which means building the 10s and 12s to a spec that most people looking for 10s and 12s would be looking for, and the same for the larger coned speakers. I didn't convey any of this my first couple of posts and therefore was taken very differently than I actually meant.

Just go to the Creedence website and get the original Solobaric. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

He wouldn't know, he is an lp nut hugger lol, he probably uses blues speakers and subs lol
Nut hugger?...no. I just value quality when I hear/see it. Especially when its made in the USA and last for 20+ years! Good luck with your "made in China" amps that you over paid for! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif Step your game up son! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.