What is the max depth you can make a ported box

vehementSPL
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
indianapolis
I have heard MANY people say 36 inches (you can go deeper but you start to loose output) then I have heard say it matters on shape and size of woofers. They say as long as the box is pretty square then the depth doesn't matter , the internal size does. I hear if you are more narrow it can't be as deep. Now if somebody knows why or if this is... Please speak up. I know for sure there has to be a theoretical limit . I know most draggers swear by 36 inches

No limit.

I would stop listening to those many people, they apparently don't know what they're talking about.

I know most draggers swear by 36 inches
Are you confusing this for rules for building in CRX's or something? Because there's certainly no acoustic reason for it...

I know most draggers swear by 36 inches
Okay no offense, but Im gonna stop listening to what you say people have told you. This is a VERY basic question that anyone who kows anything about building boxes should already understand. You compete in SPL (arent you a MECA record holder too) and you dont know the first thing about box design? Stck around here a while man, you'll get an education. And aparently, stop listening to the idiots you hang out with in the lanes, they are clueless.
There is no magical number for a maximum enclosure size in one axis. Suggesting there is, is just silly.

36 inches is a "old school" guideline, it refers to internal bracing a panel that is 36"in length. By no means is it the max depth of a enclosure. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

Me having a record has nothing to do with about being misinformed on this. I have known some draggers that were also champions that said the same thing. Now this was 4 years ago but remember I have been out of the game for a while

howsmart.jpg

to assume he knows everything because he has won a record...is silly
Obviously, which is why I mention it now, as he uses his record status as proof of his 'facts'. *shrug* He's still never told me who made his box(es). //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Umm I NEVER said it meant I knew everything. To admit you know everything is to admit you know nothing at all. I just used it to validate I wasn't a complete idiot. BIG difference

Obviously, which is why I mention it now, as he uses his record status as proof of his 'facts'. *shrug* He's still never told me who made his box(es). //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
lol Yeah I did 3 times. Not my fault you don't read //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif lol. I designed AND built my boxes. So now for future I don't wanna hear about me not telling you nor anything about me using my record to prove my debate to be fact. I only threw it out there that time cause I was being called an idiot. now this isn't a reference to yourself. But anybody with a decent amount of intelligence knows knowledge and intelligence is two totally different things. I typically have both but I have been raised on some old school ideas. All my previous knowledge was from reading draggers posts back in the day.. I did have a question if depth dont matter and air space is air space..... If I had a sub that would work very well in 3 cubes tuned to 40hz. What if I made the first part of the box 10x10x10. Then the rest of it 5inch x 5inch x 14 feet (3 cubes total) Stupid design but would this affect the output of the box?

lol Yeah I did 3 times. Not my fault you don't read //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif lol. I designed AND built my boxes. So now for future I don't wanna hear about me not telling you nor anything about me using my record to prove my debate to be fact. I only threw it out there that time cause I was being called an idiot. now this isn't a reference to yourself. But anybody with a decent amount of intelligence knows knowledge and intelligence is two totally different things. I typically have both but I have been raised on some old school ideas. All my previous knowledge was from reading draggers posts back in the day.. I did have a question if depth dont matter and air space is air space..... If I had a sub that would work very well in 3 cubes tuned to 40hz. What if I made the first part of the box 10x10x10. Then the rest of it 5inch x 5inch x 14 feet (3 cubes total) Stupid design but would this affect the output of the box?
I can read fine. And I'll mention it when ever its a valid point. Like any time you use it to try and prove anything, even not being an idiot. If you post something that is idiotic, oh lets say thinking you cant build beyond 36" in an enclosure, you being a 'MECA champ' doesn't make your statement any less stupid. So, your MECA status really means squat to your points. Bring it up for no good reason, and expect to have it thrown back at you. If someone asks about MECA champs, or a specific question involving said sanctioning body, Im confident you know more than I and I would defer to you. But just about anything else, Im really forced to question your knowledge base. Perhaps you would be better off assuming you are a complete idiot, and start the whole learning process over again. I think that might work out better for you in the long run.
"What if I made the first part of the box 10x10x10. Then the rest of it 5inch x 5inch x 14 feet (3 cubes total) Stupid design but would this affect the output of the box?"

Certainly it would affect the performance of the box. Enclosures, particularly vented enclosures, are susceptable to having 'dead space' in them if the dimensions are not considered. Air pressurizes inside the box (or depressurizes), causing air to flow in and out of the port. The sleaker is the piston creating the pressure, the port is the relief valve. If there is a section of the box so small, or so far from the speaker and port, it becomes dead space that this compression/decompression to air movement interaction bypasses it, effectively eliminating this area as an effective part of the enclousre, thereby reducing the internal volume of the box.

Now, is this in any way saying you cannot build a box beyond 36"? Maybe to a legal retard, but to the rest of us we realize this means its not the 36" dimension that hurt the capabilties of the box, it was the odd shape/air spaces within the box that caused the problems. Nice try, was still a really elementary question to ask, for someone who supposedly has a good amount of experience with this stuff. And this attempt at saving face by trying to find a situation that would make your statement true, just shows you STILL dont get it.

I guess it was just lucky your MECA box never needed to be bigger than 36" huh? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.