Northeast Region What category to build for?

CT,DC,DE,MA,MD,NH,NJ,NY,PA,RI,VT,WV
    Participant count
  • Participant list
I'm only about an hour drive from New Bedford, and yeah I was at that show in Hyannis, though my box being tuned to 28hz wasn't really amazing on the meter ....

I think I'm getting a direction here, but I have a couple more questions.

First of all, if I mount amps above the window line does that count as box being below the window line?

Second, how is power measured if I were to try to get into a 2KW category? Do people use "cheater" amps for this? Is there even a "cheater" amp that is rated for something low and puts out far over 2KW?

I'm only about an hour drive from New Bedford, and yeah I was at that show in Hyannis, though my box being tuned to 28hz wasn't really amazing on the meter ....
I think I'm getting a direction here, but I have a couple more questions.

First of all, if I mount amps above the window line does that count as box being below the window line?

Second, how is power measured if I were to try to get into a 2KW category? Do people use "cheater" amps for this? Is there even a "cheater" amp that is rated for something low and puts out far over 2KW?
I'm 99% that the amp rack is included in the height rule if it is attached to the box only, but I'm no judge so get confirmation. 2K amps that do higher: Sundown 2K if you can find one or a Rockford 2K, both do a lot more then 2K so they would be perfect for that class.

It go's by its highest rms rating for the amp for example my DTR3400 does its power at .5 ohm even if I wired it to 1 ohm where its rated for 2200 (lets pretend its 2K not 2200 for a sec) it would not be allow in rookie class.

aah man I've been out to Hyannis before, hung out with a buddy who worked @ Tweeter and lived in Sandwich... be nice to see him again, sheeit been a while. New Bedford, thats a haul for me too!

aah man I've been out to Hyannis before, hung out with a buddy who worked @ Tweeter and lived in Sandwich... be nice to see him again, sheeit been a while. New Bedford, thats a haul for me too!
If you get down to the cape, drop me a line. There's some killer lunch places in hyannis and some great fishing in the canal.

If you're anywhere between me and Farmington, I'll be up that way next week, wouldn't mind comparing notes.

Understood on the rules. Pretty much Sundown and RF are the only amps that make a 2KW rated? Kind of silly to make the cutoff a number that only 2 amps fit though isn't it?

Farmington ME? lol

I ate at a nice pizza place in Sammich, and stayed at a nice hotel. Ended up going home with my first ever system too, two JL's and a baller 400w amp! this was back in 1998!

There are a lot of amps out there with a 2K rating, Sundown and RF are just a couple of them. I would think a majority of the amp manufacturers would have something under 2K. And with my classes there's also AM1, that has a 1000 watt limit. But like Bill said, it's based on the factory power ratings. Some amps can drop lower than what the factory claims, but it would be impossible to enforce such a rule so we just go by the manufacturers rating.

As far as amp racks, if it's not attached to the enclosure then your all set with NESPL, if it's attached to the box then it's considered part of the box. With TNESPL I believe your limited to 25" in height, even if it's above the window line. This includes the amp rack or anything else attached to the box.

Farmington ME? lolI ate at a nice pizza place in Sammich, and stayed at a nice hotel. Ended up going home with my first ever system too, two JL's and a baller 400w amp! this was back in 1998!
Yep, I'll be up in central Maine doing some work on my sugarbush. If you're on the way we could meet up.

Dunno of any good eats in Sammich, but know a great fishing hole!

Seems like as many 2.2 or 2.5K amps as 2K. I saw the 1KW category which I could probalby do, but I think with the unlimited cone area I'm not terribly competitive there...that and my 1KW amps do max power at 4KW and I don't think I can get my subs up that high...but I might do some testing and see what it looks like I can do.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.