Northeast Region What category to build for?

CT,DC,DE,MA,MD,NH,NJ,NY,PA,RI,VT,WV
    Participant count
  • Participant list

hispls
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
Hey guys. Looking to compete for the first time. I would drive to MA, NH, and CT shows probably. I'm just not sure what is the most common promoter/organization and what category I should try to fit into. I'd hate to do something stupid and end up putting myself way out of my league, or build within the limitations of DB drag only to find out that whatever show I can get to locally has different rules.

Any thoughts from guys who are allready in the area and in the scene?

In New England Steve Griffin is THE man and head promoter, he owns/runs New England Sound Pressure League (newenglandspl.com) His shows are an absolute blast and I haven't missed a single one since discovering them. However, he is working hard to bring Team North East SPL (teamnortheastspl.com) to the area in a big way. They have a finals event every year and the goal of most the serious competitors in New England is to make their Finals event this year. He has adjusted his class rules to make it easier for us to build for TNESPL and still fit into a class well in NESPL.

I'd def. build for TNESPL and hit their and Steves show up, the people who run and compete in these comps are worth the trip alone. You won't regret it IHMO, I already traveled out to New York to hit up one of their local shows to check it out and get my 1st points and it was worth every penny I spent and every minute of the 6+ hour drive. Gladly there will be pleanty of their shows in CT, NH, ME and likely MA (can't remember off top of head if there is one there yet or not but sure there will be) for us to get our points and have a blast.

I'd skip building for DB Drags as they don't have any shows closer then 4-5 hours to me at best and their finals is .. where? lol Yeah I am all set! And USACi has like maybe 6 shows a year all in CT. I need more then that personally in order to commit my entire build to an organization. Thats just my two cents, hope it helps. Look forward to meeting you at a show this year! -Bill G.

BillyG said it best, but just build for your budget, to analogize dont try and build for NASCAR when you can only afford to run short track level equipment.

edit* i compete in whatever class the stuff in my car lands me, who cares, if you have a loud system bring it out and see where you stand and make a decision from there.

That's sort of what I thought. Sadly their categories don't really work well around my current gear. There's a pretty big jump between 2000W and 10,000W!

Anyway, it looks like I'd do best with the gear I have in Stock 1 assuming my batteries are the right size....will do a little more research.

Any advice from the veterans of something that you wish you did from the get-go and didn't? Something stupid that I'm likely to miss and screw myself?

Since I know a little about what you have for equipment I can tell you that you'll need to be in WooferCooker Pro or No wall for TNESPL with the amount of power you plan to run. WC has a 5k limit, and for NESPL Stock classes have a 10k limit. As Bill mentioned DB Drag is very dead in NE at this point so I'm not sure it's worth building for unless you want to travel far just to get enough points to qualify for finals, which in itself is a ridiculous trip. Usaci may be worth doing, but it's hard to say. They seem to schedule shows much more last minute than the other orgs. in NE so who knows if there will be enough to make it worth it.

My suggestions would be for TNESPL: WC Pro2 or No wall and for NESPL Stock 3 or No wall.

Thinking single 15, pair of Sundown 3Kd's, got 2 batteries now, planning to get a few more from another member here when he gets his **** together....or will buy more bats. Single 15 would allow me to get the best use out of my power and keep things below the window line and also be more wow factor when I put up some really good numbers. AND I'd have the other 15 for a spare in case I had a disaster.

Also have a 18" btl I could use, but I don't think that really helps and I'm pretty sure my 15 would handle 6KW much better...otherwise, my other subs are 12" LMS drivers which sound great but are rather inefficient and their best output is

I would consider picking up another 3Kd but running all 4 to the single sub puts me into a class where I might as well do a wall and such anyway.

Really at this point I'm almost considering trading out my extra 3Kd for a 2KW amp to get into one of the 2KW limited categories to start out.

Thanks for all the input guys. If I'm going to dump money into an SPL build I'd rather pick something from the start that'll work well and build around that.

If I'm going to dump money into an SPL build I'd rather pick something from the start that'll work well and build around that.
to answer your question above about anything I wish I did or w/e my suggestion was going to be this ^^, I found out in the past that it is the best way to go, less expensive then trying to make something work that wont IMO.

Also lmao on the SQ comment ;-) Isn't it nice being on the low ground for a bit tho? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Oh and the 10K limit is high but so few are actually running that much power in those classes I wouldn't let that worry me too much. No wall is going to be crazy loud this year from the rumbling and rumors I have been hearing. I will be avoiding it till I get my Jimmy ready next year.

Thinking single 15, pair of Sundown 3Kd's, got 2 batteries now, planning to get a few more from another member here when he gets his **** together....or will buy more bats. Single 15 would allow me to get the best use out of my power and keep things below the window line and also be more wow factor when I put up some really good numbers. AND I'd have the other 15 for a spare in case I had a disaster.I would consider picking up another 3Kd but running all 4 to the single sub puts me into a class where I might as well do a wall and such anyway.

Really at this point I'm almost considering trading out my extra 3Kd for a 2KW amp to get into one of the 2KW limited categories to start out.

Thanks for all the input guys. If I'm going to dump money into an SPL build I'd rather pick something from the start that'll work well and build around that.
Not sure if your going to find a class around here that let's you run 4 amps to a single sub, even strapped. TNESPL allows two amps per sub if they are strapped, meaning your only allowed a one (+) and one (-) wire to each sub. I believe it's the same with everyone, unless you get into the higher classes with walls, even then I'm not really sure.

If you've never competed before you can try using a single 2K amp and do the Amateur/Rookie classes. Those are music based classes. Just find a good bass music song that has about 30 seconds of continuous bass in it and your good to go. The other classes are good too, if you can keep it below 5K.

The majority of competitions here in New England base their classes off of the sq in of your subs, with power limits. USACi does have a few shows in CT, and sometimes in Mass. They base their classes on the 4 ohm rating of your amp and have no limit on subs.

Id try to hook up with a local NE team or seasoned vet and go through everything you got and give you all the options. It can be rough starting out on your own and nobody wants to get owned at their first couple of comps. Id also suggest going into the rookie class even if it means dropping some amps for awhile. This way you have a chance to check out the spl sceen and will be competing against guys with similar experience and equipment. Either way win or lose there are some cool ass peeps in NE that will gladly give you pointers even if your competing against them. GL this year.

Also have a 18" btl I could use, but I don't think that really helps and I'm pretty sure my 15 would handle 6KW much better...otherwise, my other subs are 12" LMS drivers which sound great but are rather inefficient and their best output is
I've had 10k on my BTLs. I know guys that run 16k+ to theirs.

I've had 10k on my BTLs. I know guys that run 16k+ to theirs.
LOL. The thing is if I had tbig power on it I'd use it til it smoked. Actually I'm looking at trading the BTL to Dave the box guy for a good SPL box. AND the 15's can still handle the power much better.

Will probably also check into a 2KW amp to keep me in rookie class for a few runs. I do have a couple 1KW A/B amps I could use, but having a 4 ohm load for them will be an issue.

Wish ther was a team or some veterans in my area, but it's pretty barren. I tried to hook up with some of the locals at a small show here last year and it didn't seem like anyone was really serious. F*cking tragic with all the trust fund punks running around out here that none of them want to get a really competative cape cod team going...**** they don't even sell 1/0 guage at the shops down here.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice. I'm still on the fence and kicking around ideas. If anyone is remotely close and wants to get together and compare notes I'd appreciate it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.