What’s best

Participant count
  • Participant list

SouljazStruggle

CarAudio.com Newbie
Ky
Hello, so I’ve always wondered... if you grew up on old school, three six madis type beats with the long lowwww bass notes... what’s the best size sub to hit those sensitive hz? Some subs actually a lot that I’ve tried in the past month, seem to be missing the notes and I’m not a fan of the newer rap music punching 808s rattling the trunk 😂

Dumb question?? Thanks for the support and Negative feedback bud.. 🤦‍♂️ and actually different sub sizes and types hit different things hence the reason your subs have a sensitivity section. No need to be a$$

Applause I never compared mine to anything especially yours... I was simply looking for advice but not everyone is helpful. Thanks again have a great day

Applause I never compared mine to anything especially yours... I was simply looking for advice but not everyone is helpful. Thanks again have a great day
I gave you the only advice you need on the subject. Size doesn't matter. It's the design of the sub and the enclosure that makes the difference. Wish I had a nickel for everytime I heard some tard say they had 15"s for the lows are some dumb ******** like that.

Hello, so I’ve always wondered... if you grew up on old school, three six madis type beats with the long lowwww bass notes... what’s the best size sub to hit those sensitive hz? Some subs actually a lot that I’ve tried in the past month, seem to be missing the notes and I’m not a fan of the newer rap music punching 808s rattling the trunk 😂
Try contacting crutchfield.com support. They have great suggestions. I don't always purchase from them, but I do use their advice.

The size of a subwoofer is important, but only in terms of what your setup is going to look like and how many you need. You could say the smaller subwoofers produce higher notes easier while the larger subwoofers produce lower notes easily but by FAR the more important factor is the enclosure. For example, if you want to avoid a peak at 34-50 hz like you see all the time with rap music rattling some dweeb with a prefab ported enclosure's license plate then you'll want an enclosure that's not tuned so low or ideally has little to no resonance if you can afford the power loss of a sealed enclosure. Where the size plays a role is mostly how much surface area your setup is moving and whenever you have more than one subwoofer the waves will interact with each other both constructively and destructively, so you wouldn't want to just jam your trunk with a bunch of small subs in their own enclosures without being cognizant of where the waves are going to interact. Having a single large subwoofer gives you great surface area and no hot spots. In a sealed enclosure a 15" can play 200hz notes that a 10" subwoofer in a 34-50hz tuned pre-fab ported box couldn't dream of producing without being muddy, plus it uses much less trunk space. The downside is that in a sealed enclosure you're losing a lot of efficiency because it's having to compress an air cushion and the backside of the pressure wave isn't being added to the frontside, it's just being suppressed.

The rule of thumb I go for is if I can fit a bigger one I'll get it, but this is ultimately for saving room in my trunk and avoiding nodes and anti-nodes in the car. Then decide what type of frequencies I enjoy the most. If I want to enjoy low rap music a ton then I may just want that prefab port box, but if I want to enjoy any sort of instrumental music with bass guitars or kick drums I'll want a box that's more responsive. Also if I don't have a lot of equalizer bands inside the bass range to adjust I'll want something with less resonance. It's incredibly annoying to have to choose between one hz range and another one sounding good, equalizers can flatten them out pretty well but having them flat in the first place undoubtedly sounds better.

What do you have space for in your vehicle. And the lack of lows your talking about from other vehicles may not be size related but instead enclosure, tuning and power related. As you increase sub sizes you also require more airspace per sub. As one of the response said go with what you can afford to give up space wise. lots of the pro’s and og’s on this site can dial in 8” sub projects to hit the same frequencies as 12’s or 15’s but it makes the most sense to discuss what’s the easiest and smartest route to the frequencies and output you want. Somewhere in between that number will likely make sense. Be focused on buying subs that your can effectively power with your cars electrical, quality amplification, solid tuning capabilities, and a good enclosure.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.