Want to go Louder

Everyone keeps telling you that unless you find more space or power or both it'll be a lateral move or downgrade.

qs49GV8.jpg

Here I did a 3 ft3 net for that 9512 tuned at 32hz... it's about as big as I'd go (realistically I COULD go bigger but 3ft3 is pretty big for a single 12 and it's 4.4ft3 gross) and it's got good output man... but as you see below those JL10w6's (yellow) on your power in your enclosure (if it's actually 3ft3 net?) look a bit louder to me.

5KBp2J2.jpg

So once again here it is... to noticeably increase... increase cone area significantly, add pretty much a doubling of power or .... both if you want to get louder for real.

Almost doubling power, redoing my enclosure and adding 2 more batteries and alt/wire took me to 147ish daily from 144 with 2 12's. And it was a HUGE difference with the lower tune... went from a 32hz tune to 30hz with the added power.

There's no magic solution man... The 12 looks to be less to me

Last edited by a moderator:
Here I added those 13w7's above on a T2500...

ewdJAhG.jpg

Those lines are 2db increments so that's what... 7-8db

I compare a pair of Sa X15's in 8.75 ft3 net tuned to 30hz on 5K with the 10W6's on 1200 in 3ft3 net tuned to 30hz below.

f9mgqkB.jpg

Looks like over 10db difference to me... lol... 

Everyone keeps telling you that unless you find more space or power or both it'll be a lateral move or downgrade.

Here I did a 3 ft3 net for that 9512 tuned at 32hz... it's about as big as I'd go (realistically I COULD go bigger but 3ft3 is pretty big for a single 12 and it's 4.4ft3 gross) and it's got good output man... but as you see below those JL10w6's (yellow) on your power in your enclosure (if it's actually 3ft3 net?) look a bit louder to me.

So once again here it is... to noticeably increase... increase cone area significantly, add pretty much a doubling of power or .... both if you want to get louder for real.

Almost doubling power, redoing my enclosure and adding 2 more batteries and alt/wire took me to 147ish daily from 144 with 2 12's. And it was a HUGE difference with the lower tune... went from a 32hz tune to 30hz with the added power.

There's no magic solution man... The 12 looks to be less to me
My jl w6v3 are in a 2ft3 net volume at 30 Hertz running off jl hd1200. If I get the mtx I'd be giving it at least 1600rms

Could you mock up that graph for me for these 3 setups??

2 10 jl w6v3 in 2ft3 net volume @30 Hertz on 1200rms

2 10 alpine x series in 3 ft3 net volume @ 32 on Hertz 1800-2000rms

1 12 mtx 9500 in 3ft3 net volume @ 32 Hertz on 1600-1800rms

Could you mock up that graph for me for these 3 setups??

2 10 jl w6v3 in 2ft3 net volume @30 Hertz on 1200rms

2 10 alpine x series in 3 ft3 net volume @ 32 on Hertz 1800-2000rms

1 12 mtx 9500 in 3ft3 net volume @ 32 Hertz on 1600-1800rms
Waste of time man... it's only gonna be about the same. the added power will only fractionally increase the output, that'll put a 12 about where you are...  2 10's (the JL's on the added power might gain... but not much). Learn Winisd or BB6, do your diligence when researching new equipment and either buy an SUV or eat the cost for upgrades to your electrical and amps.

Total system cost ran me around $ 2100 and I was extremely happy with my Blazer (HU, 3 amps, highs, subs, Alt, wire/interconnect, 2 extra batts, Eq/line driver, deadening and materials for 3 interchangeable enclosures)... but I ate a few Sheeitburgers along the way by not taking good advice.

Hey... it's a steep curve to learn to get loud, I'm still learning

Last edited by a moderator:
You realize that sound is measured and felt differently than can be expressed to a layman... it's measured on a logarithmic scale and in a perfect world doubling cone and power will net 6db. So that +10db increase above is HUGE.

Here's something to chew on...

t's a typically over complicated explanation. The fact is that for any two sources, regardless of size or input power, the radiated sound pressure adds vectorial. If the sources are closely spaced (correlated or spaced much less than a wave length) then they are in phase at all points in space and the sound pressure just adds everywhere. So if they each radiate a sound pressure of 1 independently then they sum to 2. Acostic power is the square of the pressure so power goes from 1 squared = 1, to 2 squared = 4. In dB, 10 log(4/1) = 6dB. So two sources which radiate the same sound pressure radiate 6dB more acoustic power when correlated. Now the electrical power into the sources is just the sum of the power delivered into each. Just add the power. If the drivers receive the same power it's 1 +1 = 2 which in dB is 3dB more power. So the two sources radiate 6dB more acoustic power with a 3dB increase in input power resulting in a 3dB increase in efficiency. If you make the drivers identical fine. But its the same if one driver is a 6" woofer and the second is a 10". And it carries over to drivers with different efficiency too. Lets say you have driver 1 which radiates a sound pressure of 1 with 1 watt in. Driver 2 radiates a sound pressure of 1.3 with an input power of 0.8 watt. Assume they are closely space, the net sound pressure of both is 2.3 for a 7.23 dB increase in radiated acoustic power, relative to driver 1 alone.. The input power is 1.8 watt or 2.55 dB greater than 1 watt. So relative to the first driver the system radiates 7.23 dB more acoustic power with 2.55 more input power or a gain in efficiency of 4.68 dB compared to the first driver. Or you can use a more appropriate reference for sound pressure if you like and have a more standard measure of the increase in efficiency. you can go through the arguments from first principles if you like, but it just make things less simple.

Now I got a headache... that type of explanation is why I just learned modeling software.

Then there's the louspeaker design cookbook

https://www.parts-express.com/loudspeaker-design-cookbook-7th-edition-book--500-035

Another Cliffhanger ^^^^.... snore

Good luck... I'm out

What about doing a single woofer but in a 4th order through my ski pass. Would I gain anything
Wow.. the 4th order idea again?

I had to see and surprisingly the Type X (SWX1042D) on a 2K amp does show some gain ...(pink)... I like that X15 output tho... lol

gGki4E.jpg

Maybe 2db or so around 30hz but I'd take that with a grain of salt as your enclosure is in question... 3ft3 NET with 40-50in2 of port for that 2K looks like what I'd do and that's gonna be big externally. So the output you see above will be dependent on your enclosures ability to deal with the added power... so IDK really  

As far as a 4th is concerned... you had another thread and others on other forums so What do YOU think?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.