Voltage loss

Participant count
  • Participant list

Walk1141

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello,

I am currently working on my second audio install and my amp isn't wanting to turn on. I have checked with my multimeter the voltage coming from the power wire and the remote wire while the car is on and it shows 14+ volts. But as soon as I connect the blue remote turn on wire to the amp, both the remote wire and the power wire's voltage drops to 8-9 volts.

What could be causing this?

I previously had this same setup with 8 gauge wire inside of a 2002 PT cruiser until about 2 months ago when it broke down on me.

I'm open to trying anything and appreciate any help! :)

Sounds like you may have an issue with the amplifier. Some local Audio shops will bench test for very little of funds and some may charge nothing at all. Id get it bench tested. You may even try a Computer repair shop also. Ive had a friend do that in the past. If the amplifier is still under warranty, I would send it in for repair or replacement

Sounds like you may have an issue with the amplifier. Some local Audio shops will bench test for very little of funds and some may charge nothing at all. Id get it bench tested. You may even try a Computer repair shop also. Ive had a friend do that in the past. If the amplifier is still under warranty, I would send it in for repair or replacement

Thank you very much for your reply. I am going to try the idea that 1aespinoza provided and if that doesn't work, I will for sure call around and see what local shops will do for me.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Thank you so much! I will for sure try that tomorrow.

And being the novice I am, you are meaning to connect the remote turn on and power wire to the batter to check if the amp will turn on that way?

Yes.. Connect a jumper wire from the remote to the power wire and connect to +/Poss on Batt post, and -/Neg. on ground post at the battery.

Yes.. Connect a jumper wire from the remote to the power wire and connect to +/Poss on Batt post, and -/Neg. on ground post at the battery.

I will try that tomorrow after work and relay the results. And in the meantime I have checked and I am still under warranty for another 4 years so if it doesn't seem to work with that I will be sending it in to be repaired or replaced.

I will try that tomorrow after work and relay the results. And in the meantime I have checked and I am still under warranty for another 4 years so if it doesn't seem to work with that I will be sending it in to be repaired or replaced.
Thats exactly what I would do myself.Best to you

Thats exactly what I would do myself.Best to you
Just to update, I got it working but it wasn't the amps fault. Yesterday I tried to connect the amp to the battery directly and powered up correctly with the jumper wire. I tried the similar thing in the back where all my wires were ran. I got nothing. Then I just thought that the only difference was the ground in the two situations. I checked my ground and it seemed the connector was barely on and came off. I reattached another connector but still nothing. I found another ground point and now it all works. Powers up fine and I finally have my bass back.

Thank you all again for your help!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.