Voltage issues

not every car charges at 14.4v , but he should be seeing higher then 14v . so i say pull the alt. and have it tested. they will put a load on it to see what its charging at. but if you say no higher then 12v when its running, thats the alt. even if you had a bad battery you would still see 13.8 or higher when running. it would just go back down fast with a bad battery. meaning it will not hold a charge.
Front batt was suspect during installation...resting at 10.7. Seemed to be charging up fine when the car left though. Prolly bad front batt.

not every car charges at 14.4v , but he should be seeing higher then 14v . so i say pull the alt. and have it tested. they will put a load on it to see what its charging at. but if you say no higher then 12v when its running, thats the alt. even if you had a bad battery you would still see 13.8 or higher when running. it would just go back down fast with a bad battery. meaning it will not hold a charge.
I know, I charge at 15v. Most stock vehicles charge at 14.4v.

When my XS D3100 had to charge up from ~6v, my voltage was really low. After I got it started with a boost pack, it charged at 12.6v. 15 minutes later, it got to 13.6v. It took a while to fully charge, but I've had no problems since.

Batteries can pull from a charging system. In his case, they probably aren't though. Just saying it can happen

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

Front batt was suspect during installation...resting at 10.7. Seemed to be charging up fine when the car left though. Prolly bad front batt.
Maybe one cell is bad?

The car still does charge up to about 14.2 at most but not 14.4 like it did when it was first installed

Like bigscott said though it drops rapidly

Rotten eggs is a CLEAR symptom when dealing with electrical that you are overcharging a battery.

Other symptoms include, not related to electrical, that your CAT is clogged or damaged.

You shouldnt have charged a dead agm with an alternator... very bad idea.

Also, shouldnt leave a battery that may have a bad cell in the vehicle either.

If it's not too late, needs to be fixed before all the batteries end up damaged and they need to be properly charged too.

15v is too high of a voltage as well hence maybe why it smells like that.

Batteries under the hood need to be charged at a much lower voltage due to the ambient heat around the battery.

That's why cold starting charges higher.

Warm weather needs far less voltage or overcharging will occur.

Voltageb is a stupid thing. I just started my car today and i'm at 14.5.

Maybe it's because i just gort hit by hella snow & 30 degree weather. Now im back at the 60-70's

Sent from Iphone exuse shitiness

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.