Voltage issues

shammyhavik

Senior VIP Member
cali
I recently upgraded my electrical to all 0/2 weld including big 3 and two agm batteries.

Last night after coming home from work I noticed my voltage was having hard time rising above 14v. This is not normal when riding on the freeway at normal music levels.

After parking and shutting the engine off i watched the meter drop to 12v! I was sure to turn the radio down before shutting off the engine. Then this morning I took the DMM to both batts for the sake of it and they read 11.45v

My car still started somehow but i noticed a struggle in the start.

Now today my voltage is doing better than yesterday when cruising because it rose above 14v.

What the hell is going on here?

Batt or alt could be going out

You can have both tested at local auto parts store. I get my stuff tested all the time. I've never been charged for it

**** it's probably the alt because I just purchased both batts from Chauncey who tested them and load tested them hiself

Ok, then I would recommend getting the charging system tested. They should do it for free.

How is your voltage regulated? A problem with the control module is the only other thing I can think of if wiring and batteries were both good.

What vehicle?

So now even when im not playing music & come to a complete stop im voltage drops to 13.

My vehicle is a 2006 hyundai sonata lx 3.3L

Idk how my voltage is regulated, but my electrical was installed by CSCstang and he took the time to do it right.

if its reading 14+ when running its charging.

if it went to 12 exactly when you **** if off , and your batterys are reading below 12volt then it sounds like batterys.

it should read about 12.5 volts when you shut it off.

Start your car put the DMM to the batt and see if you are getting a steady reading of 13.8-14.4 volts with the car running. Check all your connections also. Could be something lose. Doesnt matter if he took his time and the best installer on the planet. Things happen.

Did you have voltage issues immediately after the work was done?

Even if the batteries are good, you may have a parasitic drain. Did you install anything new?

Checked dmm with the car started and i'm at 12.5v at idle, then at 12v with the car off..

I didn't add any equipment after the electrical was done. Also nothing is loose i checked.

Idk if it's relevant but one battery sounds less solid than the other when ii knock on it.

No voltage issues after work was donei. I was steady 14-14.4 whenc cruising now i don't even see 14.4 with the music off

One battery may have crapped on you. Auto Zone will do a load test for free. I'd disconnect the batteries from each other and have them tested individually

You might have drained the batteries if you've clipped your amp, put a trickle charger on them overnight.

Your stock alt could also be failing because there's two batteries it has to charge along with bigger current demands from the amp.

You might have drained the batteries if you've clipped your amp, put a trickle charger on them overnight.
Your stock alt could also be failing because there's two batteries it has to charge along with bigger current demands from the amp.
I don't have a trickle charger and i've been wary of clipping since i first smelled the coils after getting the electrical done

the autozone places sometimes have a portable load tester and can test your batteries without you removing it.

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

Checked dmm with the car started and i'm at 12.5v at idle, then at 12v with the car off..
I didn't add any equipment after the electrical was done. Also nothing is loose i checked.

Idk if it's relevant but one battery sounds less solid than the other when ii knock on it.

No voltage issues after work was donei. I was steady 14-14.4 whenc cruising now i don't even see 14.4 with the music off
12.5 volt at idle sounds like something's wrong with the alt

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.