Voltage help!!!!

Quaid_Station
10+ year member

I have a 2015 Chevy Cruze and the stock alt is 130a.

About to be running 2) SQ HDC12's on a SQ3500 amp.

Just bought all Sky High wire which is all 1/0g from power wire, ground wire and even big 3!

I have enough money to buy a big battery to last me a little while because no company that I have contacted makes a HO alt for my car.

I'm wondering how bad my voltage would suffer daily on a XS Power D3100 or NSB G31?

Will you be riding with your bass up loud alot?

Depends on your listening style. The battery will help temporarily for long bass notes, but the alternator will not keep up with that amp if tuned to use all its power.

Just set your gains correctly until an alternator is available.

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk

Depends on if you run at 4 ohm or 1 ohm - I have a 150amp alt and been running fine at 4 ohm, have not tried 1 ohm where I dont have the electrical to support it.

edit - I guess it would depend on what your subs are lol

that 3500 is going to be power hungry.

and just adding a battery is not going to help much.

you need power to make power. batterys do not make power.

and having the gain set low will help but......

you need a small system. or bigger alt.

I listen to a lot of rap music.No dubstep or anything techno like music.

I mean I want to crank it and also use its power too! Just you gotta do what you gotta do..
Well best way to go about it is you know what power you want to use which means you have lots of power to play with.

Set your gains and if you see major voltage drop tune the gain down until you get a manageable power.

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk

I have a 2015 Chevy Cruze and the stock alt is 130a.About to be running 2) SQ HDC12's on a SQ3500 amp.

Just bought all Sky High wire which is all 1/0g from power wire, ground wire and even big 3!

I have enough money to buy a big battery to last me a little while because no company that I have contacted makes a HO alt for my car.

I'm wondering how bad my voltage would suffer daily on a XS Power D3100 or NSB G31?

I can sell ypu two 55ah 775cca agm batts for 90 shipped each. If that would save you some cash. Either way keep your secondary batts charged and replace your front battery also. 3500rms is a lot for a factory alt. People do.it but that doesnt make it right

A single D3100 free standing (no alt or charger attached )on a sq3500 wired to 1 ohm on music will last longer than you guys think, will it be optimal no

I would probably recommend running a pair of G31's wired in parallel (dedicated ground run) will you have line drop yes, but you will have sufficient reserve to operate the amplifier

A single D3100 free standing (no alt or charger attached )on a sq3500 wired to 1 ohm on music will last longer than you guys think, will it be optimal noI would probably recommend running a pair of G31's wired in parallel (dedicated ground run) will you have line drop yes, but you will have sufficient reserve to operate the amplifier
I'm leading towards 2 D3100.. I know forsure it can handle the power but would that also help my voltage? Or put more strain on my alt and cause more voltage drop?

that 3500 is going to be power hungry.
and just adding a battery is not going to help much.

you need power to make power. batterys do not make power.

and having the gain set low will help but......

you need a small system. or bigger alt.
Okay, Singer emailed me saying they have a externally regulated 200a alt for $449 and Excessive Amperage has a 250a alt for $645. Will Singer be enough?

2 G31s should hold you well. If you just play it to work and here and there those will keep you above 12 volts for a long time. Hell I had a stock 110 on m impala with a AQ 3500 @ .5 ohm with 2 g31s. Voltage would get to low 12s driving.

[quote name='Quaid_Station']Okay, Singer emailed me saying they have a externally regulated 200a alt for $449 and Excessive Amperage has a 250a alt for $645. Will Singer be enough?[/QUOTE]

ya should do you good/ that and 2 batterys in back and a good under hood batterys.

i would hit up @michaellane for some batterys. he has some nice ones for i think 90 shipped for 1. i plan on getting a few of them.
plus hes a great guy to deal with....

you need more than a 200a alternator unless you plan on running two alternators. you're going to need a true 250-300a at idle alternator with at least 3 good AGM batteries, preferably more.

you're talking about 3x the power than most stock charging systems can handle. you spent the money on the big boy amp, you need to spend the money on the big boy alternator and batteries now.

you'll miss A LOT of output due to the lack of current, when i added a second battery and HO alt i noticed a big increase in output even on my 1k rms amp. i can guarantee you'll drop to at least 11 volts if you want to tune that amp to its max before clipping, which is TERRIBLE for your car and amps. you don't want a brand new 2015 cars electrical to start having problems already do you?

Upgrade your alt for sure low voltage can damage your amplifiers. If your lights dim a lot when the bass hits hard you need more volts and batteries are not the answer they only hold voltage you need a big alternator to keep the voltage up. If plan on upgrading amps in the future get the biggest alt you can buy and the correct wire to go with remember the closer your voltage stays at normal charging voltage (14.4) or whatever your car charges at the more spl you can maintain if your volts drop so does your bass

you need more than a 200a alternator unless you plan on running two alternators. you're going to need a true 250-300a at idle alternator with at least 3 good AGM batteries, preferably more.
you're talking about 3x the power than most stock charging systems can handle. you spent the money on the big boy amp, you need to spend the money on the big boy alternator and batteries now.

you'll miss A LOT of output due to the lack of current, when i added a second battery and HO alt i noticed a big increase in output even on my 1k rms amp. i can guarantee you'll drop to at least 11 volts if you want to tune that amp to its max before clipping, which is TERRIBLE for your car and amps. you don't want a brand new 2015 cars electrical to start having problems already do you?
I run this amp and a power hungry 800rms a/b 4ch amp with a 55ah batt up front and 2 100ah batts in the back with a mechman 240 charging at 15 and i never drop below 14 ever

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.