voltage good, still clipping?

couldn't find a grommet on the passenger side for that run that's on top of the intake so it will have to stay there for now, excuse the mess i do a lot of off roading and playing in the mud and what not

recently the subs have been sounding a lot better, painful high notes and very nice violent lows, however anything lower than 27hz it dosnt shine to much in that area. nothing a different/better box cant fix. i think they are breaking in, getting a little more looser now. they officially sound louder than the 4 15s cvrs. however the protect problem is still going on. when i turn the gain on the knob half ways it dosnt happen, only when its fully pinned on 25hz and below

recently the subs have been sounding a lot better, painful high notes and very nice violent lows, however anything lower than 27hz it dosnt shine to much in that area. nothing a different/better box cant fix. i think they are breaking in, getting a little more looser now. they officially sound louder than the 4 15s cvrs. however the protect problem is still going on. when i turn the gain on the knob half ways it dosnt happen, only when its fully pinned on 25hz and below
Well u do have gain set by ear which is a big no no...set it with a dmm properly...i imagine ur gonna lose a lot of output doing so but the clipping will stop!

Get u a new box and once the rise is a bit more under control ull gain some of that lost power back.

The protect issue still could be numerous things...could have shorted something out in the amp while ur wires were fried!

Could have shorted something due to a bad ground or clipping....and the problem with that is u most likely will have to send the amp in to be repaired in order to find what shorted...it may not affect anything until u crank it.

I had a brand new saz1500 that would go into protect at certain frequencies and higher volume and couldnt figure out why. Eventually i sent it in and they said there was some vibration damge to a few fets from shipping. Couldnt see it though lookin at it. They replaced them and worked like new.

First id double check ur subs and make sure both coils are good and that that isnt the issue, get em in a proper enclosure and get better grounds.

If the problem isnt solved id send the amp in to be repaired...one last thing u may wanna check...try it on a diff hu...pull a buddies rcs and hook it up to ur amp if need be. Ive seen issues with rcas and/or head units sending a bad signal through them and it tends to cause issues at certain volumes...like lets say u have 4v pre outs and for some reason once u hit 3/4 volume it shorts out and sends a 6v signal...if ur gains are set to a 4v and then it gets 6v its gonna be clipping way worse than it already was!

But it sounds like ur gains are prolly twice as high as they need to be anyways...ive never had to go higher than half way on any amp unless i was running an old school 1v or 2v hu.

You draw a lot more power/current when playing below tuning freq

Well u do have gain set by ear which is a big no no...set it with a dmm properly...i imagine ur gonna lose a lot of output doing so but the clipping will stop!Get u a new box and once the rise is a bit more under control ull gain some of that lost power back.

The protect issue still could be numerous things...could have shorted something out in the amp while ur wires were fried!

Could have shorted something due to a bad ground or clipping....and the problem with that is u most likely will have to send the amp in to be repaired in order to find what shorted...it may not affect anything until u crank it.

I had a brand new saz1500 that would go into protect at certain frequencies and higher volume and couldnt figure out why. Eventually i sent it in and they said there was some vibration damge to a few fets from shipping. Couldnt see it though lookin at it. They replaced them and worked like new.

First id double check ur subs and make sure both coils are good and that that isnt the issue, get em in a proper enclosure and get better grounds.

If the problem isnt solved id send the amp in to be repaired...one last thing u may wanna check...try it on a diff hu...pull a buddies rcs and hook it up to ur amp if need be. Ive seen issues with rcas and/or head units sending a bad signal through them and it tends to cause issues at certain volumes...like lets say u have 4v pre outs and for some reason once u hit 3/4 volume it shorts out and sends a 6v signal...if ur gains are set to a 4v and then it gets 6v its gonna be clipping way worse than it already was!

But it sounds like ur gains are prolly twice as high as they need to be anyways...ive never had to go higher than half way on any amp unless i was running an old school 1v or 2v hu.
I set my gain by ear and with the clipping indicator on the remote gain knob like Soundqubed suggests (I have the same amp as BassandBeer). The gain is at a little under 3/4 with that method. I have had zero problems with setting the gain this way.

Last weekend I set it with a DMM and that method actually had me turn the gain up higher than it was (closer to 3/4 of the way up or maybe a tiny bit higher), which induced clipping at a lower level on the remote gain knob. I was not happy with this so I turned the gain back down to the original location I had it set by ear.

Just my experience with this amp.

if you have a clip light and you know what clipping sounds like you're 100% way better off. said this before, korean amps i set by ear and i have no problem soft clipping them. brazilians i use the clip light and verify with my scope. i do not clip it hard otherwise - dumb idea.

i thought the dmm method was great too, until i realized just how dynamic music recording level is. you will never have a one size fits all gain setting. you need to know what overdriving your equipment sounds like.

im talking about subs here. door speakers need to be set conservatively or with an oscope. dmm works but i would not trust it unless we're talking about low power less than 100w or power split up to so many coils a soft clip wont matter

Those clip lights on the gain knob arent that accurate..this has been discussed extensively!

And what hu are u runnin? I dont understand why the gain is up that high unless it has very low voltage preouts. Ive never had an amp on a 4v+ pre out hu that needed to be up more than a scosche past half way.

My scv6000s sgow theyre clipping according to the clipping light on the knob and my gain is not even 1/8 the way up..everything on the hu is at 0, no subsonic, no bass boost...they r strapped at .5...theres no way they are clipping with it all set that low on those amps...im not even cranking the volume yet and my nsv3 are nowhere near their potential...maybe working a tad over half way. Waiting to break them in and get another alt before i really give them hell.

I set my gain using the dmm 3 days ago because i got into a discussion on another forum about it and according to the dmm gain should be almost half way up before soft clipping begins.

Ill check it with an oscope before i actually set it but i do know im not clipping or een getting close to clipping even though the knob says i am.

Setting it by ear is ok if ur not gettin too loud but anyone whos doing over 50s ur gonna be hard pressed to actually hear any distortion...seeing as mine is in a 4th and vreaking 60 its **** near impossible to hear.

**** one of the subs has a pretty distinct coil tic at about half volume and u cant even hear that!

But each to their own i guess...i was just tryin to be helpful. If u feel the way ur doin it is working for u then thats fine by me.

Those clip lights on the gain knob arent that accurate..this has been discussed extensively!And what hu are u runnin? I dont understand why the gain is up that high unless it has very low voltage preouts. Ive never had an amp on a 4v+ pre out hu that needed to be up more than a scosche past half way.

My scv6000s sgow theyre clipping according to the clipping light on the knob and my gain is not even 1/8 the way up..everything on the hu is at 0, no subsonic, no bass boost...they r strapped at .5...theres no way they are clipping with it all set that low on those amps...im not even cranking the volume yet and my nsv3 are nowhere near their potential...maybe working a tad over half way. Waiting to break them in and get another alt before i really give them hell.

I set my gain using the dmm 3 days ago because i got into a discussion on another forum about it and according to the dmm gain should be almost half way up before soft clipping begins.

Ill check it with an oscope before i actually set it but i do know im not clipping or een getting close to clipping even though the knob says i am.

Setting it by ear is ok if ur not gettin too loud but anyone whos doing over 50s ur gonna be hard pressed to actually hear any distortion...seeing as mine is in a 4th and vreaking 60 its **** near impossible to hear.

**** one of the subs has a pretty distinct coil tic at about half volume and u cant even hear that!

But each to their own i guess...i was just tryin to be helpful. If u feel the way ur doin it is working for u then thats fine by me.
its an old alpine headunit I think cda 9813 4v pre outs

I was talking to a guy with the same problem your having.. He said like anything 30hz and under the amp would protect. He took the amp out the vehicle and it played fine. It was something to do with vibration... So if you can hook the amp up outside your vehicle and play whatever low song it protects on and see it the amp still protects.... It sounds silly but vibration could be the cause

I was talking to a guy with the same problem your having.. He said like anything 30hz and under the amp would protect. He took the amp out the vehicle and it played fine. It was something to do with vibration... So if you can hook the amp up outside your vehicle and play whatever low song it protects on and see it the amp still protects.... It sounds silly but vibration could be the cause
I don't know if that's the case in my situation because recently I played with the subsonic filter on my head unit and the issue seemed to have went away, can dive 25hz and below full tilt with no problem now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/graduate.gif.d982460be9f153bb54e5d4cb744f6ae8.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.