how many batteries can you run on 1 HO alt

Hard to say, you're good up to a large amount of batteries though. If you end up with a bank the size of adulbriches I'd consider charging them overnight. If you can float charge any battery over night I would... but I don't have a garage so I cant

Batteries are limited not only in their output, but also their charge intake

Hard to say, you're good up to a large amount of batteries though. If you end up with a bank the size of adulbriches I'd consider charging them overnight. If you can float charge any battery over night I would... but I don't have a garage so I cant
cuz I was thinking if I were to get another 4500 would it be ok to just get more batts like 4 more, that's well over 600ah being charged by my 370a alt

charge the batts overnight and you'll be fine.

the main reason it causes problems is due to the excess average load the alternator is seeing from charging a bank. batteries will **** up usable current just by being wired to your alternator lol

if you cant use an external charger on downtime id recommend another alternator.. you're talking about what, 7 or 8 batts?

When installing an alternator or more batteries, it's recommended that you fully charge the batteries before installation. If the batteries are sitting at a low voltage when you start the vehicle, that's a big load on the alternator.

I don't think there's really a limit on how many you can charge per alternator. It's got more to do with how much current you'll be pulling.

I'm set up to run ten batteries per alternator, lol. I've got a 370, 320, and 300 all on the same circuit for my battery bank

Yeah, I float charged them all and will hopefully be wiring everything up tomorrow. About to update my build log.

charge the batts overnight and you'll be fine.
the main reason it causes problems is due to the excess average load the alternator is seeing from charging a bank. batteries will **** up usable current just by being wired to your alternator lol

if you cant use an external charger on downtime id recommend another alternator.. you're talking about what, 7 or 8 batts?
Yeah, I'm going for a more consistent draw from the alternators rather than spikes of current demand

I used one 175Amp alt to keep SIX- NSB-SMS400's Charged and did so without a problem- I also had an onboard external charger that I used to maintain them during downtime between shows

The problem is duty cycle for the alt

Stock Alts can not output 100% all the time

It will wear on them and they die

A good aftermarket should be able to keep up with the rated output for a long time

So after you dip into your battery bank the alt needs to charge up the bank, the more batts you have usually means more power which means quicker drop which means more time to recharge your bank

If you have 1 battery down to 11.8v it will recharge faster then 10 battery's at 11.8v but the alt will put out it's rated current to charge them either way

I haven't had issues with my giant bank. Cold, I charge at 14.7v

Hot is at 14.5v and even at idle going full tilt I don't drop below 14v

That's 30 batteries charged by three high output alternators running three 7k amps at .35 nominal each

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.