voltage drops

phazeone
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
MiAmI,fL
i cant get rid of my dimming ive given up on that

but id like to know a good way to prevent large voltage drops my battery charges at around 13.6 to 13.9 when the cars hot and i get voltage drops to 10 volts i just need a easy way to prevent that without upgrading the alt. again cuz i will

have to get a custom bracket fabricated

any input appreciated

i did that when i put in the new alternator...

theres gotta be something i can do cuz this is my daily driver that i have the system in so

it gets alot of play time im doing all this while trying to rebuild my monte carlo which isnt cheap so im just looking for a cheap quick way to eliminate my problem

i'd take and have the alt checked, cause if it drops all the way down to 10V, just because the car is warmed up, you've probably got a bad alt. new or not, sometimes you can get a bad one. also trying to pull more amps out of the alt that they're putting out will kill alts pretty fast to.

It sounds like the voltedge regulator for the alt is bad. Some cars come with one apart from the alt, and replacing the alt is not the fix. Find out if the regulator is internal to the alt, or if it is a different part. If it is a different part get a new one.

i bought the alt brand new from iraggi alts alittle over a month or so ago. i know im drawning alot of power but today when volts dropped to 9 i thought the car was gonna turn off u think if i were to get somebody to either get it rewound and maybe play with the regulator since its an internal one maybe if it charged at around 15 or 16 volts i wouldnt have it drop down so low or would it still drop the same amount or less

You can't change it to a higher voltage because you will fry the rest of the electronics in the car.

Have somewhere test it to be sure it is functioning properly.

only way to have 16v and not fry your electronics is to have the turbostart 3 post battery //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

oh u guys misundertsood me i wasnt planning on running a 16 volts system if i were to do that it would fry my car since it would charge the battery at over 18 volts

i was just thinkin maybe i get the the alt to charge around 15 or 16 volts ive seen it done before and no harm was done to the cars electrical system

no, i knew what you meant.

I was reffering to squeak 9798.

If you had a 15v charge at the batt you would be o.k.

not a 16v alt, only with the 3 post batt it would work.

17.1v and 14.4 v

o0o0 ight ,.,., hey i got a reply over on termpro to the same question the guy said he had the same electrical system and he had caps and had about the same voltage drop i have he said he took his caps out and it never dropped below 12 volts again is this crazy or could it would?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.