Electrical demons...need help

hooppro
10+ year member

So i finally get everything in my car set up i have all the wires ran in their slots and evertyhings ready to go. but when i turn the ignition on the deck turn on for 2 sec than off and than on again for 2 sec and repeats i closed the door and than noticed that the deck would turn on cause the interior lights were off. but if i turned my volume up very high than the component set amp (my fronts) would just turn off until i turned it down. while this entire time my sub is not working...the sub amp is on and seems to be working properly but nothing is coming from the sub and it worked fine before my last amp fried itself so im pretty sure its ok....and now comes the worst part of all...i tried to start the car and it wont even start it just sounds like a metal grinding sound and all the lights in the car dim or go out.... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif i tried chragin the battery but that did nothing?!?! what the **** did i do wrong? i car worked fine earlier today and all i install today after unpluggin the battery was my deck and thats it besides running the wires to it. anyone got suggestions a bad ground? what would cause the entire car to not start and dim all the lights when turning over the ignition? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/help.gif.cee8f684da1ba626487a8bc51152e1ec.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/help.gif.cee8f684da1ba626487a8bc51152e1ec.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/help.gif.cee8f684da1ba626487a8bc51152e1ec.gif

sounds to me like your alternator is not providing enough juice.

your battery also sounds like it might be drained.

get a new alternator, the grinding sound is your ignition trying to turn over the engine and the spark plugs are not sparking.

all you are doing is flooding your engine. disconnect your amps from your battery, go to the auto store (or online) and have them install a high output alternator.

can you list your amplifiers\speakers\cdplayer\car\sub(s) so we might know how many amps you need?

i have a 93 grand cherokee, pioneer 860mp, brutus 1500d and a rf 351s, cdt cl-6 and 6x, and a re hc 15"...could the lack of power be behind nothing coming out of the sub just cause their is no enough power?

Yeah I would start witha volt meter and the battery. Start with the voltage that the battery has across the posts then see how much the alt is giving out. Id also be looking around for a different alt because that amp will eat a ton of juice. Pretty sure ive seen some used HO alts on sounddomain the last week or so.

Easy test for your battery but requires two people or to be parked in from of something.

Turn on your headlight.

Try to start the car.

If your headlights go out your battery is no good.

Batteries can go bad because of age/use or a bad alternator that couldn't charge it.

You need to put a DMM right across the HU power wires and see what's happening there. My guess is you have a bad connection somewhere or are hooked into a power line that's disappearing.

You need to put a DMM right across the HU power wires and see what's happening there. My guess is you have a bad connection somewhere or are hooked into a power line that's disappearing.
thats what i was thinking... bad switched/constant connection.

ok charged the battery all night and the car starts now and the speakers play even when the lights are on so thats a good sign...now the only thing is that mt sub wont play....i turn the gain all the way up and i can barely here it

make sure you have your amp (or even your HU sub-woof out wires if applicable) set to low pass and make sure it's something feasible

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.