voltage drop/lights dimming issue with bad grounds?

Guinelle1
10+ year member

Chicago
hello guys. im really stumped on how to fix this light dimming/voltage drop i get from my truck. its a 2000 chevy silverado 1500 with the 5.3l v8. i only have 4 10 in p1s which is only 600 watts rms. i have two RF 201s amps for the subs and one RF prime r150-2 for the front door speakers. ive done the big 3 with 0 gauge wire and have a DC power 190 amp alternator. i thought the alternator would fix the problem but it hasnt seemed to do much. the volts definitely jump right back up though. i think there may be something wrong in the system that is drawing too much power? also when i both my windows up at the same time i get a LARGE drop in volts that dim my lights. please help me! i thought my stock alt would be able to handle these subs but clearly not.

the battery is only about a month old. ive checked all the connections and all my grounds are good both of the big 3 grounds go directly to a spot on the frame rail

Sounds like bad grounds to me somewhere, the voltage shouldn't just drop and jump up. If your grounds are good for sure then you need to buy a better battery or multiple batteries. Everytime I get this problem it gets corrected when I purchase enough decent batteries.

the battery is only about a month old. ive checked all the connections and all my grounds are good both of the big 3 grounds go directly to a spot on the frame rail
Did you charge the battery before you put it in?

190 amp alt should support what your running with little to no drop at all. I would triple check all your wiring.

yeah this is a wiring issue. even if your getting 100 amp @ idle you should still be fine with this small of power usage. i would put a bet on battery/alternator ground. positive wiring.

but triple check ALL wiring you have touched pertaining to power system. and also double check your running a compatible load on the amps.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.