kinetik hc 2400 or 2 kinetik hc1200?

Participant count
  • Participant list

juststartin
10+ year member

i was going to get a secondary battery but i wasnt sure if i should get 1 big battery, or 2 smaller batteries. im going to have about 2700watts rms. i have upgraded big three already, but have not installed H.O alt. yet, not sure if i will depending on the battery situation and if i feel i need it. please give me some advise as to which battery or batteries to go with

Either or, thing you have to watch out for is your system pulling more than your alternator does too much of the time to the point it leaves your batteries in a low state of charge. With AGM batteries you want to try to keep them above 12.7 volts and WHEN you measure it is important. You should wait at least 3 hours after the vehicle has been turned off and measure it with the car off. Ctek makes a handy charger and a comfort light that would come in handy.

2 1200's cost more than 1 2400.

also the point of the extra batteries is to help supply power when the needed power exceeds what the alternator has available. and is really only good for short periods.

IE: alternator is 100 amps, and car uses 40 amps of that leaving you 60 amps for your audio equipment.

now lets say you have a 1000 watt system and it pulls 75 amps @ peak, and @ other times only pulls 55 amps.

now when your running your system and it pulls 55 amps, your most likely going to be okay, but when it gets up to about 75 amps your exceeding the alternators power output and now your dipping into your reserve(second battery) this is fine, as when you drop back down, you battery will be recovering.

now say you went up to a 2000 watt amp and its peak amperage pull is 148 and its pulling at least 130 amps, and you have the same old 60 amps to run your system on. your way over your alternators output now, and dipping into battery reserve constantly, now the battery has no chance to recharge, and will now run out of power in the battery also/

so a HO alternator is needed.

also the hc2400 is a 128ah battery(299$) two hc1200's is 100ah and will cost 358$. so overall the hc2400 cost less, and will put out power for a longer period of time.

but HO is a must, 250amps HO should be enough, and 1 hc1200 if your on a budget, or buy the hc2400

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.