Variance of Sub Specs - 4ohm vs 8ohm - Same Manufacture and Series Line; Possible?

Participant count
  • Participant list

SUBBASS

Not mentioning the brand, but wondering if the following specs are plausible differences between a 4-ohm and a 8-ohm model from the same manufacture and series of subwoofer.

Note: Both are single voice coil 10" subs with a 1" linear excursion.

4-ohm:

Fo: 33.7

Qes: 0.64

Qms: 3.1

Qts: 0.53

BL: 13.2

VAS: 2.1

8-ohm:

Fo: 28

Qes: 0.56

Qms: 4.6

Qts: 0.5

BL: 16.2

VAS: 1.3

I've looked at a lot of subwoofer manufacture specs as comparison and most run very close in the specs category, but this manufacture skews off a bit.

I've plugged both sub specs into my enclosure program and I come up with the following for a *Optimum* sealed enclosure volume:

4-ohm: 2 cuft

8-ohm: 1 cuft

Is it even possible for a 8-ohm sub to require half the internal airspace to create a similar curve?

I contacted the manufacture about the these specs, but they sort of danced around the the subs in question and sent me the current spec sheets to every other sub in their lineup, but this particular one.

I'm hesitate to even build the box, even though I've already purchased the 8-ohm models.

Your thoughts?

Not mentioning the brand, but wondering if the following specs are plausible differences between a 4-ohm and a 8-ohm model from the same manufacture and series of subwoofer.
Note: Both are single voice coil 10" subs with a 1" linear excursion.

4-ohm:

Fo: 33.7

Qes: 0.64

Qms: 3.1

Qts: 0.53

BL: 13.2

VAS: 2.1

8-ohm:

Fo: 28

Qes: 0.56

Qms: 4.6

Qts: 0.5

BL: 16.2

VAS: 1.3

I've looked at a lot of subwoofer manufacture specs as comparison and most run very close in the specs category, but this manufacture skews off a bit.

I've plugged both sub specs into my enclosure program and I come up with the following for a *Optimum* sealed enclosure volume:

4-ohm: 2 cuft

8-ohm: 1 cuft

Is it even possible for a 8-ohm sub to require half the internal airspace to create a similar curve?

I contacted the manufacture about the these specs, but they sort of danced around the the subs in question and sent me the current spec sheets to every other sub in their lineup, but this particular one.

I'm hesitate to even build the box, even though I've already purchased the 8-ohm models.

Your thoughts?
Got me tuned in for answers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm starting to think nobody has a clue on how to answer my question.

I've been told by a friend, who is friends with Bob Carver, that *it is possible* for a 8 ohm sub to have specs so different from the 4 ohm version.

I just thought maybe someone could shed a different perspective.

I'm starting to think nobody has a clue on how to answer my question.
I've been told by a friend, who is friends with Bob Carver, that *it is possible* for a 8 ohm sub to have specs so different from the 4 ohm version.

I just thought maybe someone could shed a different perspective.
The only differences arise from the coil being either a different length or gauge of winding material. Has to be different to create the desired amount of resistance. It will weigh different or be longer/shorter. The difference should not result in a 1 cube change in enclosure size though. Not even close. If anything at all.

The only differences arise from the coil being either a different length or gauge of winding material. Has to be different to create the desired amount of resistance. It will weigh different or be longer/shorter. The difference should not result in a 1 cube change in enclosure size though. Not even close. If anything at all.
My thoughts exactly, after spending countless hours looking all different brands of subs.

It just didn't add up, that this one company had such a variance.

Thanks for your input.

Comments from my Bob Carver friend:

"Looking at the specs, the eight ohm looks more appealing. Higher bl, lower fs, qts is a touch lower . The vas is showing this is made for a small box because there is a lot of stiffness in the suspension so it takes a high power amp to get things moving."

"Once moving, it should go well. Sealed box, small passive radiator box, to medium ported."

"Lots and lots of mechanical resistance leads to the driver needing more power to produce the desired output. Go to sunfire.comand read the marylin monroe white paper. In acoustic watts output, it does not require a huge box for the same output level once the math is worked out. I tell you, bob carver was on to this long before the rest simply took his observations and ran with them before his patent on high bl woofers in small boxes was the normal. All bob no matter what the haters tell you."

"Once out, bob could not convince his speaker was unique, so he lost the patent and the world got some bad *** woofers at the time from kicker, rockford, and most noted for big bass in a small sealed box, jl audio. The w7 was the pinnacle of this work."

"Think of this. To get more ohms, more wire. More wire, more mass. More mass , lower resonance. Also more coiled wire. Stronger magnetic field at the voice coil gap."

"Lower resonance from more weight"

Any thoughts after reading the quotes?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.