USAlternators: what's the word?

Taking pictures isn't too difficult. You just need good lighting, background, and a decent camera. But to answer your question, no it's not. Daniel had this T-mount already built for show purposes and it just so happened to fit my car. And since I'm guinea pigging a PCM module for him, he agreed to expedite shipping so I could have this in and testing before my show on August 8th. I would have got it later, but a buddy works for UPS, so he and I coordinated for an early pickup to cut a day off.
Posting pics now
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbsup.gif.3287b36ca96645a13a43aff531f37f02.gif

2wroh1e.jpg

Stock alt... it is literally located in the worst position imaginable.

290ybut.jpg

Got the USAlt wiggled in through the top. Because it's a large case, I had to flip it multiple times in this tiny space to plug in the computer and run wire to both posts. I ended up scratching the hell out of the custom paint //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

1zwdl5j.jpg

Belt put back on. Can't really see, but there was no need for me to go with a smaller belt. I added washers to the bolt to extend the alt and the clutch pulley was not much smaller than the stock size. Belt is super tight and so far has zero whine. Some friends have had their H/O alts chew through belts because they are a tad bit off, but this one is dead on.

2dj59o6.jpg

Two runs of SHCA 1/0 CCA. Each run goes to it's own post on the back of the alt. It's sooo nice having two posts instead of trying to wedge huge lugs onto a single post while working in a tiny space.

2h69g9e.jpg

I went ahead and replaced the stock battery with a new JuiceBox Apple (basically an XS D3400). I'll get the stock wires cleaned up more, but what I have now will work.

So 100% knowing that this car is PCM regulated, Daniel and I needed to run some tests to make sure we can get the voltage where it needs to be. The early Escapes like mine have a terrible regulation issue. Stock electrical would HOT idle at 13.6v. So the first time I started the new USAlt, it too HOT idled at 13.6v and 2,000 rpm only took it to 13.7v. Many people would be super pissed at this, but I knew 100% that these few days were going to be tests so that Daniel can better his product. By simply unplugging the PCM, now HOT idle is 14v on the dot and 2,000 rpm is 14.1v with no engine issues or triggered battery lights on the dash. Between Daniel's awesome customer service and my testing, we should be able to do something to get this alt right to where it should be ~14.3-14.4v. My competition is in one week, so that's when we'll see what this alt can really do.

You're crazy. Plenty of alternators (not just H/O) are using clutch pulleys. I guess it wouldn't make "cents" to a guy that searched on "goggle"ROFL

Please explain what's dumb about it so I can understand why not to go that route.
They're called overrun clutches. It's nothing like an a/c clutch or the clutch in your manual transmission.

They're a one-way clutch. They allow an alternator to slow down at its own pace after a large engine speed change. Alts tend to have a lot of mass, and sudden slow down is pretty hard on the belt (and probably other parts such as the alt itself, too).

They're a fairly new thing. Imports have had them for a bit longer, but by now I'd guess almost every manufacturer is using them. They started getting more popular in the late 2000's.

They're called overrun clutches. It's nothing like an a/c clutch or the clutch in your manual transmission.
They're a one-way clutch. They allow an alternator to slow down at its own pace after a large engine speed change. Alts tend to have a lot of mass, and sudden slow down is pretty hard on the belt (and probably other parts such as the alt itself, too).

They're a fairly new thing. Imports have had them for a bit longer, but by now I'd guess almost every manufacturer is using them. They started getting more popular in the late 2000's.
^Exactly

First sneak peek of the new USAlternators doing work. Please keep in mind that this unit is currently PCM'ed to 14-14.1v

Please don't pay attention to the crappy install - needs a ton of work until it's 100% done.

First sneak peek of the new USAlternators doing work. Please keep in mind that this unit is currently PCM'ed to 14-14.1v
Please don't pay attention to the crappy install - needs a ton of work until it's 100% done.

That didnt show anything i could do that on 1500 watts on a single 12 with a single stock alternator.

Show some actual alternator bench tests. Or even say how much power your running.

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk

That didnt show anything i could do that on 1500 watts on a single 12 with a single stock alternator.
Show some actual alternator bench tests. Or even say how much power your running.

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk
I've already shown a bench test and said what I'm powering. Learn to got through a thread before getting your ******* in a bunch.

Now, if you meant to say clamp test, then I understand and will be posting very soon. My new DC clamp should come in today.

American Power Systems makes the best HO Alternators on the market!
Except they actually aren't on the market because we are contract exclusive. You can call if you'd like, but we'll probably be more than anyone else because we build pretty much exclusive to contracts and everything is custom build to order.

You might remember us if you've been into if for year from back in the day as HO Alternator.

American-Power-Systems-INC.jpg

Unique.jpg

Don't know who the guys are, but thats our banner.

High Output Alternators
I've never heard of those guys. I've actually never heard of anybody really using them. Their prices look crazy though haha

Yeah. I think they were something in the car audio world like 10 or more years ago. And I bet you do know of people using them, just not personally. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
DSC_3621%20copy.jpg
Ehh... I'd rather not go with a company that "once was"

We just progressed to bigger better things. There is a reason people come to us (much more important people than car audio) and not the other companies that produce HO Alternator. We left the Car Audio world because of lack of consistent business. We are more worried about big contracts. I can almost guarantee the last ambulance you were in was running off our power.
I understand your viewpoint, but two things... 1) you left the car audio world and this is caraudio.com. So your public service products don't really matter to me - especially at those prices. 2) I've never been in an ambulance, or fire truck, or squad car. So I've never seen your product.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.