USAlternators: what's the word?

ObTechAudio

Senior VIP Member
Apr 16, 2014
Provo, UT
I've seen a lot of discussion recently around H/O alternators and specific brands. Some customer reveiws have been awseome, and some have been not so awesome (catching on fire). When I was in the process of building my first big build, I did countless hours of research on Mechman, Ohio Gen, Iraggi, Singer, DC Power, Excessive Amperage, etc., and I decided to go with a Singer 270a. It was great... until my car was stolen.

So now I find myself making an even bigger build in a new vehicle, and I now need to purchase a larger power plant. I had a great experience with Singer, but has anybody ever heard of USAlternators? Their stuff looks top notch. It's a bit pricey, but from what I've hear, they are using awesome materials and not trying to make these as cheap as possible with sub-par parts. I have pasted some images below.

What are your thoughts?

mylows10

B2,singer,ampere rep
Sep 6, 2009
monterey , ca
if you look at the pulley its not much smaller that a stock size here,so even if the alt is spinning faster than the cars engine ,I don't see it going 2.5x faster to get to 6000 rpm ,that pulley would need to be much smaller

Massive spl

Banned
Jun 27, 2015
Michigan
Seems weird. Doesn't even turn on until 1000rpm and make power til like 5-6k. The alternator isn't something u want to skimp on. I said go excessive amperage or dc or mech man

OP
O

ObTechAudio

Senior VIP Member
Apr 16, 2014
Provo, UT
RPM is at alt pulley with a third being engine rpm. So at 2,000 engine rpm, this alt is doing 256 amps. Idle of 800 rpm it's going to be doing about 190 amps. All alt pulleys are clutch pulleys - allowing rotor to slow down at own speed instead of abruptly stopping with the engine to extend lifespan and performance. From what I've heard, the typical small pulley is around 1.9" where I think these are 2.1"... A small difference, but at 6,000 rpm it makes a slight difference.

OP
O

ObTechAudio

Senior VIP Member
Apr 16, 2014
Provo, UT
Seems weird. Doesn't even turn on until 1000rpm and make power til like 5-6k. The alternator isn't something u want to skimp on. I said go excessive amperage or dc or mech man
It will turn on at roughly 350 engine rpm OR 1,000 alt rpm. I'd never go with excessive or mech - especially mech. They have ripped off too many friends. I've heard 50/50 with excessive.

big scott

blazin low, and loud
Apr 4, 2014
edgewood, md
RPM is at alt pulley with a third being engine rpm. So at 2,000 engine rpm, this alt is doing 256 amps. Idle of 800 rpm it's going to be doing about 190 amps. All alt pulleys are clutch pulleys - allowing rotor to slow down at own speed instead of abruptly stopping with the engine to extend lifespan and performance. From what I've heard, the typical small pulley is around 1.9" where I think these are 2.1"... A small difference, but at 6,000 rpm it makes a slight difference.
Its just a pulley, not clutched.

ac compressors are clutch.

alts are not.

Massive spl

Banned
Jun 27, 2015
Michigan
What's the website? I type in US alternators into google and USA alternators comes up and used alternators come up. So what's there website?

Jbake1975

Senior VIP Member
Jun 2, 2015
U.S.A.
$625 for a 250 amp alt is UP there.May as well go DC or Ohio Gen for that price.They have a good rep and are well known.You'd think USAlternators would make their prices a little more reasonable to build a fan base.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/ponder.gif.ec2527b23f1d287b60dcbba54f95edba.gif

OP
O

ObTechAudio

Senior VIP Member
Apr 16, 2014
Provo, UT
$625 for a 250 amp alt is UP there.May as well go DC or Ohio Gen for that price.They have a good rep and are well known.You'd think USAlternators would make their prices a little more reasonable to build a fan base.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/ponder.gif.ec2527b23f1d287b60dcbba54f95edba.gif
Totally understand, but I think the the price is up there because it's a true 250amps hot and because all denso parts used - could totally be wrong though.

los33

Car Audio G
Apr 11, 2014
Houston, TX
Totally understand, but I think the the price is up there because it's a true 250amps hot and because all denso parts used - could totally be wrong though.
250 amp hot at idle or higher rpm?

Not all vehicles idle the same rate so it can bring cost up more.

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk

OP
O

ObTechAudio

Senior VIP Member
Apr 16, 2014
Provo, UT
250 amp hot at idle or higher rpm?
Not all vehicles idle the same rate so it can bring cost up more.

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk
Not at idle. ~200 at idle hot and 250 at ~1,900 rpm hot

Jbake1975

Senior VIP Member
Jun 2, 2015
U.S.A.
You think the other big name alt makers don't use the same quality parts?I'm very sure they do or they'd be called out quickly by the ca community.

OP
O

ObTechAudio

Senior VIP Member
Apr 16, 2014
Provo, UT
You think the other big name alt makers don't use the same quality parts?I'm very sure they do or they'd be called out quickly by the ca community.
Actually yes, I am saying that. Some companies are much more expensive than others and there is a reason for it.

Jbake1975

Senior VIP Member
Jun 2, 2015
U.S.A.
Actually yes, I am saying that. Some companies are much more expensive than others and there is a reason for it.
Not sure about USAlternator cause they don't seem to be well known.For that kind of money i'd go with a tried and tested company.That's just my opinion of course.Good luck.This is an email i received from them(USAlternators):

We have been in business officially since May with a website and everything. But the company we are working with to get parts and engineer new designs has been in business since the 1920s. That is why we are able to get new Denso OEM parts. So we are new since you have not heard of us. But we have been testing our alts on friends vehicles and my personal vehicle for a year now to make sure they can sustain output and take abuse.

OP
O

ObTechAudio

Senior VIP Member
Apr 16, 2014
Provo, UT
Not sure about USAlternator cause they don't seem to be well known.For that kind of money i'd go with a tried and tested company.That's just my opinion of course.Good luck.This is an email i received from them(USAlternators):We have been in business officially since May with a website and everything. But the company we are working with to get parts and engineer new designs has been in business since the 1920s. That is why we are able to get new Denso OEM parts. So we are new since you have not heard of us. But we have been testing our alts on friends vehicles and my personal vehicle for a year now to make sure they can sustain output and take abuse.
Hmmmm, interesting - thanks for sharing that with me!... what other companies are using Denso OEM parts?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts

Trending topics

Latest classifieds