Understanding Watts in car audio

1khz is the frequency of the test tone. The 55 x 4 is a peak number. The rms wattage on most Sony head units is 17 watts per channel.

Those 55W are PMPO????? I was sure they were RMS. Oh ****... Are there radios more powerful than this?

Those the testing tone frequency a detail I must care about?

The 1khz frequency is pretty much standard for wattage testing for full range amplifiers. You really don’t need to worry about it.
You might find a head unit that puts out 1 or 2 watts rms more per channel . But that’s pretty much the limit.
Basically, if you want more than 20 watts rms per channel you are going to need to get an amplifier.

Those 55W are PMPO????? I was sure they were RMS. Oh ****... Are there radios more powerful than this?

Those the testing tone frequency a detail I must care about?
Generally not. There isn't enough room in a radio for the transformer necessary to up the voltage enough to increase output. Plus the radio is generally in a relatively airtight space, so it would overheat if had more power.

Taramps are pretty good at doing rated on their amps...but I couldn't tell you if their radio sounds good but I'd bet it makes rated 😂
I don't know the car audio radio standards, but the radio has a Signal to noise ratio of 73db, which it seems awfull to me. In HiFi it starts to be okay when it is over 95db. Are SNR in car audio this low?

By the way, in the item description of that radio says it has crossovers built-in. Isn't this way with all the decent radios?

Well, maybe I would have enough sound power with a high sensitivity speakers. In fact I am more concerned about quality than power, so probably will stay with the Sony radio I have and try to find a 93db sensitivity speakers, more or less.

Last edited:
I don't know the car audio radio standards, but the radio has a Signal to noise ratio of 73db, which it seems awfull to me. In HiFi it starts to be okay when it is over 95db. Are SNR in car audio this low?
Can someone clarify this point? It would be good to know this point, to understand better the CarAudio world

What radio are you referring to? That sounds like the am or fm signal to noise ratio. Cd should be over 90 unless its a terrible deck.
The radio is a Sony DSX-A410BT. It is supposed to be a good one.

Maybe you are right and those 73db SNR refers to the FM. Can you check it, or tell me how to find it out, please?

Looks like your am/fm is 73 and your overall is 80db.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230617-120930_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230617-120930_Chrome.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 14
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...