Type-X enclosure

danieldl
10+ year member

Hello,

I just would like to know if a 10" Type-X would be fitting and playing good in the following Alpine enclosure.

alpine_sub.jpg

This box is pretty rare and usually delivered with a 10" or 12" Type-R. Should I keep this enclosure for my Type-X or sell it with my Type-R and get a new one?

Thanks!

what do you mean its rare?
It's an original Alpine enclosure. You cannot find any new ones actually. My question is more about to know if it would still sound great (frequencies/volume). Sorry if I'm a little bit newbie here, that's why I'm asking. Just got a PDX-1.1000 and need to change that Type-R asap.

It's 10", I guess 12" would sound louder but 10" is more precise and accurrate. I'm right?

yeah i guess a 10 would give you better sq.

as far as the enclosure. im not sure. im confused if your saying its for a 10 or a 12.

well either way, i think you would have to find out the specs of the sub you want to put in that alpine box and see if they are a good match to the specs of the box. you could just drop it in and try it out.

youd probably have to give us more info. by the pic you cant really tell.

or i cant, since ive never seen an alpine enclosure. im sure you can make one thats just as good.

Well, it's hard to know what's the exact volume of that box, all I can say is that it has been done for a Type-R. I will take a look at the specs of both subs (Type-R/Type-X) and see if it could match, but I'm not an expert. The box is for a 10", I actually have a Type-R (10"). Just thinking about what I'll do if it doesn't match: buy a 10" Type-X or a 12" one.

It is rare. I had one for my R 12 when I got my first sub. Great box IMO. Till this day its hard to find them or any info for that matter. From what I remember, that box is built specifically to the Type R specs. Go to Alpines site and find the Sub spec PDF.S See what the R 10 specs are. Then compare to the type X

It is rare. I had one for my R 12 when I got my first sub. Great box IMO. Till this day its hard to find them or any info for that matter. From what I remember, that box is built specifically to the Type R specs. Go to Alpines site and find the Sub spec PDF.S See what the R 10 specs are. Then compare to the type X
they recommend very small boxes. much smaller than what it actually needs. saves them on warranties probably. that box appears too small.

Well, since it is in my Yaris hatchback, I cannot really go with something bigger. I can build a sealed box, which will have a lot more volume than this ported enclosure but that would take the same space.

Here are Type-R specs: http://support.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/OM_SWR-1042D.PDF

Type-X: http://support.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/OM_SWX-1043D.PDF

(I don't know why but it looks like it's in French, linked from USA Alpine website.)

Vented enclosure volume for the R: 0.6-1.25 ft^3 (11.5" x 11.5" x 12.75")

Vented enclosure volume for the X: 0.8-1.50 ft^3 (12.5" x 14.5" x 18.50")

I'm not sure what all those settings mean, as the vent lenght and vent displacement is the same for both of them (22" and 0.24 ft^3). When we're looking at the volume, why are there 2 numbers? Is it a range? If yes, it would match not too bad. But looking at the "optimal enclosure dimensions" would mean my actual enclosure is really too small (which would force me to go with a sealed box instead).

Well, since it is in my Yaris hatchback, I cannot really go with something bigger. I can build a sealed box, which will have a lot more volume than this ported enclosure but that would take the same space.
Here are Type-R specs: http://support.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/OM_SWR-1042D.PDF

Type-X: http://support.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/OM_SWX-1043D.PDF

(I don't know why but it looks like it's in French, linked from USA Alpine website.)

Vented enclosure volume for the R: 0.6-1.25 ft^3 (11.5" x 11.5" x 12.75")

Vented enclosure volume for the X: 0.8-1.50 ft^3 (12.5" x 14.5" x 18.50")

I'm not sure what all those settings mean, as the vent lenght and vent displacement is the same for both of them (22" and 0.24 ft^3). When we're looking at the volume, why are there 2 numbers? Is it a range? If yes, it would match not too bad. But looking at the "optimal enclosure dimensions" would mean my actual enclosure is really too small (which would force me to go with a sealed box instead).
wow. that is really small for a type R. my 12 inch type R did best in 2.25 cubes. the 10 was 1.8 i think. the type X probably performs better in smaller boxes than the type R does. it might sound decent in that factory alpine box.

It's an original Alpine enclosure. You cannot find any new ones actually. My question is more about to know if it would still sound great (frequencies/volume). Sorry if I'm a little bit newbie here, that's why I'm asking. Just got a PDX-1.1000 and need to change that Type-R asap.
It's 10", I guess 12" would sound louder but 10" is more precise and accurrate. I'm right?
if you mean more precise and accurate as the subs cone moving quicker or bein more "tight" then you are wrong. bigger cone will move more air makin it louder. the quality of the sub and enclosure will determine its SQ not size.

I would recommend going with a different box for the Type X. This design was specifically engineered by Alpine's in house engineers for the Type-R. I debated purchasing this 2 years back and did some extensive research.

I would recommend looking into a Type-X specific enclosure...I know http://www.atrendusa.com carry's them.

I would recommend going with a different box for the Type X. This design was specifically engineered by Alpine's in house engineers for the Type-R. I debated purchasing this 2 years back and did some extensive research.
I would recommend looking into a Type-X specific enclosure...I know http://www.atrendusa.com carry's them.
alpines "in house engineers" designed that box to save on warranties and sound ok. in a a box designed for performance of the sub as the only goal, it's a great sub. there aren't many subs that get louder for the price of a type R. that being said, the type X is a better sub, especially if you get a box built to optimize the performance of the sub. warranty be damned.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.