Type R's power

KRYPTO
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
MN
From what I've read its hit or miss on how much power you can throw at the Type R. It seems to come down to clean power, good settings, and a good box.

I've read 1k+ rms.... The subs I have (SWR-1242D) are rated at 500rms, I just dont see how you can put 1k rms to them.

I have the power to do it, but unsure if I should.

Just be smart about it. I have two MB Quart 12's in my Jimmy that are rated at 300rms each. I have a solid 2000rms on them. They will get a little smelly if I crank it up for too long, but they are taking way more than what they should.

Right now they are in a sealed box, I'm in the process of getting a ported one.

Can I throw them more power in sealed?

If you need to ask how to do it, you probably can't do it. You should first learn what clean power is, good settings, and a good box are.

Sealed boxes are more conducive to overpowering then ported. Also, the more power you throw, you typically want to stay on the smaller side of box volume specs....but as the other people have said, you should educate your self before doing any of this

If you need to ask how to do it, you probably can't do it. You should first learn what clean power is, good settings, and a good box are.
x3

How do I find this out?

I'm just trying to figure out the limits of the subs with proper equipment and tuning and learn how to achieve it.

Forest Lake, My amp should be here tomorrow sometime then I need to set it up. This will be first time with large power

I once had a 15 type r in a 3 cubic box and blew it off 1200 watts, and with my current setup im running 3 type r 12's @ 1.33 ohms off a memphis 2500.1 with the gains set around 1800 watts and they get a little smelly when hitting low notes. With a 2.5 in vc I wouldn't recommend 1000watts a speaker

Just be smart about it. I have two MB Quart 12's in my Jimmy that are rated at 300rms each. I have a solid 2000rms on them. They will get a little smelly if I crank it up for too long, but they are taking way more than what they should.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif
yeah, I know. Kinda goofy. What's funny is I have them in 2.75 cubes each. There is no reason these subs should still be playing but they are. Maybe I have a huge impedance rise with my box. Never measured it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.