Type R...dissapointed

Okay, well for now I can live with the type r.

But other than that- I can't find how the Bass EQ on the amp affects the sub as compared to the Bass on the head unit. I know, noob question. Is the bass EQ on the amp just like a regular equalizer that will cause clipping if I have it all the way up? What about the one on the head unit? I know some HU's have a separate control for the sublevel, but mine doesn't.

Okay, well for now I can live with the type r.

But other than that- I can't find how the Bass EQ on the amp affects the sub as compared to the Bass on the head unit. I know, noob question. Is the bass EQ on the amp just like a regular equalizer that will cause clipping if I have it all the way up? What about the one on the head unit? I know some HU's have a separate control for the sublevel, but mine doesn't.
No idea what you mean by the Bass EQ? Is this the crossover(high-pass)? Or subsonic filter? Or Bass Boost?

My guess is bass boost and that should be all the way down. With the gain set with a DMM. Cross it over around 80 with the ssf just a tid below tuning.

I'm actually not sure. I don't have a subsonic filter, and my crossover is set through my HU at 100hz. I woulda crossed lower, but I'm overpowering my speakers already and don't want to blow them out.

I think it might be the bass boost, it just says "bass eq" on the knob. I have it maxxed out, cause at 0 it's very weak.

I'm actually not sure. I don't have a subsonic filter, and my crossover is set through my HU at 100hz. I woulda crossed lower, but I'm overpowering my speakers already and don't want to blow them out.

I think it might be the bass boost, it just says "bass eq" on the knob. I have it maxxed out, cause at 0 it's very weak.
I think your headunit is produceing too lwo of a voltage source as teh input, but your bass eq or bass knob should never be all teh way up. Thats BAD!

This is what ******s do to their 12" rockford p2 systems they get installed at quality auto sound.

I am going to guess that you simple dont have all of your settings correct and this is why it doesnt sound like you want it.

ALL of your settings should start at 0 or no gain. Then simply adjust at the EQ and you should be good. I would bet you lunch you just have things wrong and that is causing your problem.

Turn Bass Boost all the way down on the amplifier!!! (to the left, counter clock wise)

There should be a crossover on the amplifier itself as well.

Make sure any settings on your headunit related to sub output are on, and if there is a sub level adjustment on the hu, turn that up all the way.

Adjust the gain on the amplifier from there.

Might be too late though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

I wish someone could come help me set it up right. I know I have it wrong, and will probably clip my sub to death within the next week : (.

If i put the bass eq on the amp down all the way, the sub doesn't even play.

I wish someone could come help me set it up right. I know I have it wrong, and will probably clip my sub to death within the next week : (.

If i put the bass eq on the amp down all the way, the sub doesn't even play.
I honestly dont think its necessary to turn it all the way down. I think you want it in the middle (ex. my pioneer goes from like -6 to +6 put it on 0). All the way down is deff. not going to be heard.

I honestly dont think its necessary to turn it all the way down. I think you want it in the middle (ex. my pioneer goes from like -6 to +6 put it on 0). All the way down is deff. not going to be heard.
It depends on the amp, some of them are all the way down (fully to the left) and some of them are at 0 when dead middle. It should be labeled on the amplifier casing though.

To the OP- To make it simple for you, look at the side of the amp. If the 'Bass EQ' is labeled with +12db or something similar, turn it to 0.

Now, look for the Input Sensitivity/Gain, this will be labeled with voltage, i.e. 0.5 volts and so on.

Also, there will be a crossover, labeled from around 50-250hz.

Turn the 'Bass EQ' to 0, turn the crossover to around 80, and set the 'Input Sensitivity/Gain' with a dmm, or for testing purposes put it between half and three-quarter and see how much ouput you have.

If there is little to no ouput, then you have either:

1) A damaged amplifier or

2) A low input voltage from your headunit/damaged headunit

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Understand?

K i'm getting closer. I set the Bass eq to 0. It did go negative, so 0 was in the middle.

I also discovered the subwoofer level adjustment on my HU, I thought my headunit had it but I hadn't found it til now. So that is set to max.

What about the bass level on the headunit? With it at 0, I get pretty low output. Cranking it to +6 (max) REALLY bumps it up. I'm assuming this will clip the sub as well? Can I just set my gains with it maxxed out to get a good setting?

K i'm getting closer. I set the Bass eq to 0. It did go negative, so 0 was in the middle.
I also discovered the subwoofer level adjustment on my HU, I thought my headunit had it but I hadn't found it til now. So that is set to max.

What about the bass level on the headunit? With it at 0, I get pretty low output. Cranking it to +6 (max) REALLY bumps it up. I'm assuming this will clip the sub as well? Can I just set my gains with it maxxed out to get a good setting?
Adjust the Bass Level as well as all other eq's, treble, ect. that the unit has to the needs of the interior speakers. Tweak it and get them sounding good, at a set 'max' volume, make sure they arent clipping or getting distorted on bass notes and what not, and then set the gain on the amplifier from there.

Tada, your good to go, and while cranking bass boost or the gain may result in more output, your most likely going to be overheating the coil on the woofer and eventually it will fair if you dont set it up properly.

The sub was only overrated when people were acting like it was the best thing ever made. However, for the cost there isn't too many subs that can hang with it. I'm very happy with my 15; it did a 149.7 (headrest) at the last show that I attended. I'm guessing that you have a 12?
how much power you got goin to your 15 ? and what size box ?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.