Two amps...six channels?!?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Under214ever

CarAudio.com Newbie
So I have a challenge that I have been pondering for a while. I have a 2006 Chrysler Town and country that I am doing a small "upgrade" on the audio. It had the infinity sound system in it previously so it had six channels. I had an alpine mini amp in it as a quick fix and would like to reuse it since it's only a year old. For my upgrade I bought kicker k series 5.25, 6.5 component and 6x9 for the rears and a kicker five channel and sub. My dilemma is what I want to power with the Alpine. The kicker pushes 45 watts RMS x 4. The Alpine runs 2 channels bridged to push 90 RMS. The 5.25 cam do 75 rms, the 6.5 components 125 watts, and the 6x9 is 150 RMS. So do I push the power through the components or the 6x9. The 6x9 are in rear and may need extra power to push through the sub in the rear.

Also looking for recommendations on tweeter mounting locations.

Thanks in advance guys, it's been a while since I've done this so I'm a bit Rusty!

I have an '04.
I didn't touch the dash speakers. I forgot I even had them until just now. If they're running they're running stock. I may have disconnected them. Good woofer/tweeter in the doors is more than enough up front IMO.
Prioritize front components and sub. 6x9's/5.25's should be an afterthought. I left my 6x9's stock. Running a ton of power for my components and 1000w for my 12.

So I guess I'd take whatever the most 2 ch power you can get to run your components. Either the Alpine bridged, or the 5 ch bridged (probably not enough difference to matter). So that would leave you two channels - which I'd use for the 6x9's over the 5.25's.

Are you using an aftermarket HU? I stayed stock and getting a clean signal has been a problem. If it didn't have 230K on it with rust setting in I'd probably spend some money there, but the day I do that the trans will die.

I have an '04.
I didn't touch the dash speakers. I forgot I even had them until just now. If they're running they're running stock. I may have disconnected them. Good woofer/tweeter in the doors is more than enough up front IMO.
Prioritize front components and sub. 6x9's/5.25's should be an afterthought. I left my 6x9's stock. Running a ton of power for my components and 1000w for my 12.

So I guess I'd take whatever the most 2 ch power you can get to run your components. Either the Alpine bridged, or the 5 ch bridged (probably not enough difference to matter). So that would leave you two channels - which I'd use for the 6x9's over the 5.25's.

Are you using an aftermarket HU? I stayed stock and getting a clean signal has been a problem. If it didn't have 230K on it with rust setting in I'd probably spend some money there, but the day I do that the trans will die.

All aftermarket! It had the old infinity system in it so I actually even ran all new wire. This is sort of a stepping stone if you will for future additions. I’ll end up doing more power in the future but need to do alternator and battery before I get too big. The advantage for me is that the van was free (thanks wife’s grandma) and only has 116k on it, garage stored most of its life.
Another advantage is that it was the higher 160 amp alternator in it and ,after ripping the entire interior apart, I have realized that these pimp wagons have pretty good factory sound dampening in the interior panels. Good enough at least for this stage!

Funny story. I had an older Taurus SHO (V8) that I really liked, but my wife's parents were getting rid of this van with 125k (which they also got from her grandparents). It had dealership maintenance from day one. Almost perfect condition, and they only wanted 1000 for it. It probably booked at 5 or 6. I couldn't say no. I've put over 100k on it since then and haven't done much to it. It's stupid practical. Big enough to use as a small pick up. Small enough to get DECENT mileage. Leaking some oil the last few weeks, but hard to complain.

Funny story. I had an older Taurus SHO (V8) that I really liked, but my wife's parents were getting rid of this van with 125k (which they also got from her grandparents). It had dealership maintenance from day one. Almost perfect condition, and they only wanted 1000 for it. It probably booked at 5 or 6. I couldn't say no. I've put over 100k on it since then and haven't done much to it. It's stupid practical. Big enough to use as a small pick up. Small enough to get DECENT mileage. Leaking some oil the last few weeks, but hard to complain.

Nothing wrong with the grandparent hand me downs. They are usually super well cared for!

The most ours has is a dent in the front fender from where grandma took out a mailbox. 😂

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.