Tweeter volume help

Participant count
  • Participant list
I have a 2005 Saturn VUE with the 6-speaker option (4 in the doors with 2 tweeters in the front pillars. I have a JVC Arsenal KDA735BT stereo with Polk DB1001 tweeters (set up with the included crossovers and clipped wires to cut 3 dB). I also have four Polk DXi651s speakers in the doors. The speakers and the tweeters are both 4 ohms. The tweeters are pointed directly at the driver and the passenger per the door sail set up.

The problem is the tweeters are still a bit louder than the rest of the speakers so whatever I hear is a bit heavy on the high end freqs. This isn't about EQ levels, it's volume. As a note, the tweeters are wired inline with the door speakers per factory wiring, though with the added polk crossover. I've seen mention of resistors being added but I have no idea how to do that or where to start or what to buy.

Turning down the treble only cuts the EQ curve and deadens the "sound" of the high end freqs. The volume is still there. When I check my RTA, the dB level of everything above 4 kHz is significantly higher. I'm a live audio production sound guy. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I need to add some sort of dB pad. I see l-pads as volume control knobs but obviously that doesn't work for tweeters. I've see people talk about adding in a resistor but I'm not sure what or how.

Turning down the treble only cuts the EQ curve and deadens the "sound" of the high end freqs. The volume is still there. When I check my RTA, the dB level of everything above 4 kHz is significantly higher. I'm a live audio production sound guy. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I need to add some sort of dB pad. I see l-pads as volume control knobs but obviously that doesn't work for tweeters. I've see people talk about adding in a resistor but I'm not sure what or how.
A resistor will only change the crossover point. You need a better way to tune them or adjust the level.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.