Strange Custom Stereo Problem - No sound? 1975 Porsche

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hey all,

Brand spanking new to the forum because no one else has an answer!

I have a 75 Porsche 911S which has a very simple stereo setup.

Headunit - powered, switched, grounded. Turns on fine. Pioneer DC or DEH something or other. New, bluetooth, not expensive.

Speakers - Shelf box setup. One small main, one small tweeter. No external power. Just speaker wire.

I've installed lots of stereos in lots of cars but this one is a mystery.

I set the whole thing up and it worked fine for 4 days. Car went away for some work - came back. No sound at all. HU still powers, works, but no sound is transmitted.

I took a look at the wiring the other day and what I found was odd. The copper wire at the connection point to the harness AND at the connection point to the speaker had turned silver in color and looked soldered. Basically it had melted slightly, as far as I can tell.

I stripped the wire, it was copper beyond the pre-stripped area. Reconnected. No dice at all. No sound.

TL;DR - Speakers wired directly to HU, HU has all power/connections(unless I missed something), but worked fine for a week. Came back, wires look melted/soldered/silver at the ends. No sound. Restripped and connected. No sound.

Please help!

Keeping an open mind, the only thing that changed was it no longer works when it was sent out of your possession and you know the electrical was modified.

Try this-

Get access to another stereo and swap it using the same wiring.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.