Battery, cap, or new battery?

Participant count
  • Participant list

des343
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Just to give a quick run down. Car is 04 Neon. I only have a 15 in L5 aero port. Shark audio 2500d at I believe 2 ohms. Gain maybe half way bass boost maybe 1/4. I have a Jenson 760.4 for my mids and highs which are currently only stock so the amps gains are very low.

I have a 220 amp H/O alt. Big 3. And I run 4 gauge stinger OFC wore to the back with a distribution block. And 4 have into amp. (i will eventually upgrade to bigger wire or a second run. But I'd rather not even have to if I can get away with it) and just a basic Wal-Mart battery atm. I'm doing things as I can.

My issue is my lights still dim though I would like my next move to be the best option To stop the dimming. They only dim during the intial bass drops. If the bass is continuesly heavy the lights pick back up to fill power (if that makes sense) I'm sorry I'm poor at explaining thing through text.

But basically what can I do (most efficiently) rid the issue. If a capacitor works like it is supposed to then that would get rid of the issue id assume. I'm fully aware they arnt usually the best option but I have a very large alt and a capacitor seems like it would do the trick.

However is not the case? I've never owned one. Would a high end battery under the hood fix the issue? Or would I HAVE to get a second battery I mean I figure I can't be running anymore than 1k rms at peak.

Put as large of a good AGM under the hood as you can. Many can handle 1k watts with minimal voltage drop. Wal-mart battery is most likely your problem. What is your 4 gauge wire fused at?

Get an AGM under the hood and throw the capacitor idea out the window.

I'm surprised you upgraded your alternator before upgrading your battery...what brand is your alternator?

Just to give a quick run down. Car is 04 Neon. I only have a 15 in L5 aero port. Shark audio 2500d at I believe 2 ohms. Gain maybe half way bass boost maybe 1/4. I have a Jenson 760.4 for my mids and highs which are currently only stock so the amps gains are very low. I have a 220 amp H/O alt. Big 3. And I run 4 gauge stinger OFC wore to the back with a distribution block. And 4 have into amp. (i will eventually upgrade to bigger wire or a second run. But I'd rather not even have to if I can get away with it) and just a basic Wal-Mart battery atm. I'm doing things as I can.

My issue is my lights still dim though I would like my next move to be the best option To stop the dimming. They only dim during the intial bass drops. If the bass is continuesly heavy the lights pick back up to fill power (if that makes sense) I'm sorry I'm poor at explaining thing through text.

But basically what can I do (most efficiently) rid the issue. If a capacitor works like it is supposed to then that would get rid of the issue id assume. I'm fully aware they arnt usually the best option but I have a very large alt and a capacitor seems like it would do the trick.

However is not the case? I've never owned one. Would a high end battery under the hood fix the issue? Or would I HAVE to get a second battery I mean I figure I can't be running anymore than 1k rms at peak.
In my opinion capacitors are a waste of money and generally are never a good solution, for anything. Put the biggest agm you can fit under you hood.

I'm not sure of the brand off bat I'm sorry. I upgraded that first because the stock is only like 65 amps I think. And I KNEW that would need to be replaced and I got it for 200 bucks figured for the same price as the battery id try that first my logic was "maybe the alt will just handle it" but I learned it don't work quite like that lol.

I'm amped at 100amp fuse on the block.

What is a good AGM I need a small battery. What I have now is just a basic ol Wal-Mart brand battery. But I don't have much room for a large battery.

measure your battery tray and buy the biggest agm that fits in that space...

Sam's club has a pretty good deal on Duracell AGMs

Thank you all for the quick response. I guess my next buy will be a new battery for the front.

Surpised how well an L5/15 rocks a neon. Lol I don't plan on going much larger idt but who knows I've said that in the past. Haha.

Turn the bass boost all they way off. Could be part of your problem.

Don't buy a cheap mainstream cap (Boss, Rockford, Belva, ect.)

If you do want to buy a capacitor, get a bank of Maxwell or XS caps. They are expensive, so they might not be what you're looking for.

One big AGM under the hood and proper wring should be fine with your alternator and system.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.