Tryin' for a larger/more efficient box... Help

Participant count
  • Participant list
Thanks for the help, I designed it at about 14 in2 per cube so I just will have to see how they perform in a larger box. They go low really well in a 4 ft3 box so I just will have to try I guess. It's good to know that I'm on the right track, I hope a larger box will help bass extension below tuning. I'm not looking for miracles just an improvement over the 4 cube box. I guess I'm lucky to be under-powering the subs slightly, hopefully I can set the SSF under 27hz... love them lows!
If you happen to have the t/s handy, send them to me and I'll run them through winisd to get the correct velocity for port area and best tuning for them, along with power being used. That is if they are true t/s. Of course real world in the vehicle dictates all but don't ever guess on the correct pa/tuning.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

If you happen to have the t/s handy, send them to me and I'll run them through winisd to get the correct velocity for port area and best tuning for them, along with power being used. That is if they are true t/s. Of course real world in the vehicle dictates all but don't ever guess on the correct pa/tuning.
I'm pretty new here so I don't know how to PM someone yet...

Here is the T/S parameters...

Dual 4 Ohm

RMS Power: 1,250 Watts

Peak Power: 2,500 Watts

Voice Coil Size: 3"

4 Layer Black Aluminum CCAW Voice Coil

Frequency Response: 30-300 Hz

High Roll Foam Surround

Sensitivity: 85.3 dB

Fs: 40 Hz

Re: 3.8 Ohms

Qms: 5.00

Qes: 0.76

Qts: 0.65

Mms: 256.3 g

Cms: 0.059 mm/N

Bl: 12.8 n/a

Vas: 18.2 L

Sd: 471.4 cm^2

Xmax4: 23.5mm (one-way)

Like I said I have 37 x 14.5 x 26.5 to use externally... I'm hoping subs up port back with about 6.5" to the tailgate. I'm hoping that with a larger box the roll off beneath the tuning will be a gentler slope and I can set my SSF accordingly. Shooting for single chamber @ 5 ft3 net on about 2000 watts true...

2 CAB amps strapped into a 4 ohm load.

I'm pretty new here so I don't know how to PM someone yet...Here is the T/S parameters...

Dual 4 Ohm

RMS Power: 1,250 Watts

Peak Power: 2,500 Watts

Voice Coil Size: 3"

4 Layer Black Aluminum CCAW Voice Coil

Frequency Response: 30-300 Hz

High Roll Foam Surround

Sensitivity: 85.3 dB

Fs: 40 Hz

Re: 3.8 Ohms

Qms: 5.00

Qes: 0.76

Qts: 0.65

Mms: 256.3 g

Cms: 0.059 mm/N

Bl: 12.8 n/a

Vas: 18.2 L

Sd: 471.4 cm^2

Xmax4: 23.5mm (one-way)

Like I said I have 37 x 14.5 x 26.5 to use externally... I'm hoping subs up port back with about 6.5" to the tailgate. I'm hoping that with a larger box the roll off beneath the tuning will be a gentler slope and I can set my SSF accordingly. Shooting for single chamber @ 5 ft3 net on about 2000 watts true...

2 CAB amps strapped into a 4 ohm load.
Thanks. I'll plug these in later when I get home and see what we get...

Now that's whats up! I really do appreciate it! Hot ****...

Now that's whats up! I really do appreciate it! Hot ****...

I figured the port at 13 x 5.5 ,I have the car without the re-ported extension currently and it really hits probably 142-144 db or so but I am always looking for more. Unfortunately I became a DJSNT fan and I love those lows... I don't want to set my SSF above 20 hz anymore like I currently am with the small box... I may be asking too much from these subs but I'd like to see what's possible. With the extension I built installed it brought the over-excursion under control... "I thought I was gonna tear a spider before I did"... but I lost at least 2 db in the upper 30's-50 hz range. Yes they are a good small box woofer but shouldn't a larger box be more efficient, have better extension? The way it plays with the extension is great but I'm looking for more hi 30's- mid 50's without losing low to mid 20's very much. check this vid... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFeOskSmcNQ ...is this too much port at 71 in2? The box extension pic is in my gallery it works great but I like to really open up the volume sometimes and SPL...How much does anyone think the larger box will help? I have about 2000 watts after box rise currently, might this improve?
you should just build a t-line or a wave guide. once you get it dialed in you will never go back to a typical ported box..

Aren't those prohibitive due to size? 2 12's would be big I've heard... Really I have no clue..

Well I guess that rules out that option, under the window line is a must in the wife's car... otherwise I'd have walled it long ago...LOL!

I tried to PM you regarding some compensation but got a server failure message instead.

you use the thermal compensation? i generally use a 4hz to 7hz shift in FS for break in. anything else you try to calculate from testing?

my driver had a FS of 36.5 after break in its at 30.5! i also use the temp rise feature i find its fairly accurate in my current system

you use the thermal compensation? i generally use a 4hz to 7hz shift in FS for break in. anything else you try to calculate from testing?my driver had a FS of 36.5 after break in its at 30.5! i also use the temp rise feature i find its fairly accurate in my current system
I'm going on the assumption that these t/s are correct... for starters. But yes of course there's a drop in fs after after break in that needs to be accounted for. If you'd like to plug them in as well I welcome it. Let's see what we come up with. 23mm one way xmax? Hmmm...

I'm going on the assumption that these t/s are correct... for starters. But yes of course there's a drop in fs after after break in that needs to be accounted for. If you'd like to plug them in as well I welcome it. Let's see what we come up with. 23mm one way xmax? Hmmm...
naw i'm just curious, i know you are more than competent. i usually play wit the QL.QA.QP abit as well since of course nothing if perfectly airtight Ive always for winisd pro VERY accurate..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.