To use or not to use rear fill

grampi
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Cheyenne
I've done installs both with and without rear speakers and I prefer not using them. To me, if I can hear speakers in the rear at all, it just sounds unnatural. I guess I have it in my mind that the system in your vehicle should sound as though you're sitting in front of a stage and all the sound should be coming at you from the front. It just sounds more realistic that way. Which do you guys prefer and why?

I've done installs both with and without rear speakers and I prefer not using them. To me, if I can hear speakers in the rear at all, it just sounds unnatural. I guess I have it in my mind that the system in your vehicle should sound as though you're sitting in front of a stage and all the sound should be coming at you from the front. It just sounds more realistic that way. Which do you guys prefer and why?
NO rears at all here. Unless I ever decide to go with video with 5.1 I will NEVER have rear speakers.

i belive threads like this have been done before. but i would agree with you. doesn't sound right, plus the open holes in the rear deck from the missing speakers just makes it easyer to get the bass up front IMO.

i agree. however the only reason to having rears, would be to have the acoustic balance or atmosphere in your car that you wouldn't have otherwise compared to a studio performance vs. live. feeling.

just a tad rear fill is necessary if you can dial in the correct time factor for the delay.

but what is you were to have an SUV such as a jeep. The sound kinda circulates through. I disconnected the rear stock speakers and it sounded like junk but the backs help. Reason for that?

ive always down rear fill, but on my next project im jus doing front stage. Rear fill is for rear passengers and i dont have to many of those, im going to focus more on mew the driver than anything else

i agree. however the only reason to having rears, would be to have the acoustic balance or atmosphere in your car that you wouldn't have otherwise compared to a studio performance vs. live. feeling.
just a tad rear fill is necessary if you can dial in the correct time factor for the delay.
If you're getting the proper imaging, balance, etc, from your front speakers, THEY will provide the rear fill. The rear fill from a live performance comes from the stage.

This debate tends to cause drama and leads to nowhere. The reason for that is because there are many who 'thinks' rearfill is the way to go.

It's kinda of a battle of 'night club' vs. 'concert' IMO.

This debate tends to cause drama and leads to nowhere. The reason for that is because there are many who 'thinks' rearfill is the way to go.
It's kinda of a battle of 'night club' vs. 'concert' IMO.
I definitely prefer 'concert', even if I'm listening to 'night club' music. I'm pretty sure rear fill would completely fukc up the stage just in front of my windshield I've been working so hard to get.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.