Head unit and rear fill speaker recomendation 2013 Nissan Sentra

Don't know your knowledge level, so I'll go over what I think are some of the basics.

Yeah the big 3 will help just about any vehicle even stock. When adding an amp, you definitely should (plan for it).

You have a healthy budget, before you buy your stereo, there are quite a few other things you should think about.

1. The alternator - If you're still on stock, then you should at least know how to calculate what you are adding. (I'll use that sundown amp since it shows the specs).
75w x 4 = 300w (for ch 1-4) / .65 (65% efficient ) = 461w
300w (x1 for 5th ch/ sub) /.86 = 348w +461 = 809w.
809w / 14.4v (standard voltage numbers) = 56 amp draw for that one amplifier, (that you would be adding to what your vehicle uses). That is when it's full out playing your subs at your max settings. It would be highly unlikely you would need a new battery for that, but if you play heavy bass music on high for hours on end, you would probably need a larger alternator. Not sure about your vehicle, but if a slightly larger factory alt is an option, that would probably be good enough.

2. Wiring. - The big 3 is a big part of that. Probably $50-$100, and you (used to be able to) buy a hydraulic crimper and do it yourself for the cost of what any audio shop would charge. This is an easy job, and you can use it to make your custom power and ground cables too. Your going to need a fuse on your power wire to protect the wire. For the big 3, your amp wiring, fuse, crimper, you should figure your options but its probably about $150. That includes new speaker wiring from your amp to your speakers. 40-50 seems to be where your factory wiring is probably not enough, and won't kill you to spend $20 there.

3. SOUND DEADENER - I go through stages of where I enjoy this more than my stereo. If you want to know what it's like, go listen to your stereo on a lower volume with the windows down in traffic. Then put your windows up, and that's about what sound deadener does. It blocks out all the outside of your vehicle / ambient noise so that you don't HAVE TO crank it up to hear your music. The doors are where you want to start, they block out the sounds from the other vehicles. Doing the floors blocks out road and your own vehicle's noise (wind, engine, exhaust, tires). The roof is to help create a cocoon and a better sound stage baseline. Four doors are about $150-$200 for the good stuff. My regular cab pickup was about $500 for the entire cab with some doubling.

From what I gather so far, My build for a $2k budget would be two sets of those focals I posted earlier, and a 4 ch amp that would play just those. (that's a little under half).

$100-$150 on a simple head unit.
$200 wiring (on the high estimate for two amps with a splitter)
$150 for sound deadener

You can buy a better sub than what you have posted. It looks to me like you might have just wanted to use one amp, and that really limited your options.

A second amp that is 1 ohm, 1 ch, and will work for a different sub. I like JL audios, I have em, but you are paying a premium for that name. Not sure how much bass you want, but for the price of that sub, you can buy something that will hit a lot harder. If this is just going in your trunk, you don't need a enclosure that's got fancy curves and a label. This is where you should figure out that alternator amperage, because if you go bigger.

I WOULD go with a larger alternator for probably around $300 for something that's probably about 80-100 amps more than factory (and that could be $500-600). There could be a big price difference in what you actually find, it really depends on your vehicle and what you have. I'm not going to search for your options, but I suggest you see what they are before you buy. You don't want to build this, then NEED one or else you have to turn it down after 20 minutes. I would bet your factory alt is about 100 amps, and you're not adding 50 amps of draw and getting away with it not effecting your vehicle.

That would give you about 50-60 amps for your sub amplifier. (60x 14.4 = 864) x .85 = 734, and then it depends on how your music as to how well that would recharge. That would be a constant recharge when that's not how your music plays. You could go with 1,000w RMS sub on that alt.
You can buy a sub (up to 1000w for cheap, and a cheap amp to play it on). A sub is also something you could hold off on.

The only change in all of this to save a little would be to get rid of the second pair of 6.5s, and 4 ch amp, and just get some budget low wattage speakers to go in the back that can play off your head unit's power. Get a 2ch amp for the fronts, and set your sound stage. That would save a few hundred, and would cover that alternator.

I know you said you don't want to buy an alternator, but if you want a subwoofer, ANY SUBWOOFER, I bet you will need one. I will bet your factory alt is about 100amps, and won't keep up with a subwoofer, (unless you're cool with turning the sub amp off for a few songs in between the one song you get to listen to). I honestly think the alternator that you don't want to get, needs to be/ will eventually be the biggest ticket item on your list, (even if you don't do it now).

No Real need to purchase a Crimper in my opinion unless you want to spend funds on something you may not use on the daily(like an Audio shop would). You can simply use Copper Lugs/ ring terminals and smash flat on a concrete floor with a hammer and use a punch to hit the ends of the ring terminals in 3 different spots on both sides and heat shrink them to save some funds on that tool. I do all mine that way without any issues. You can always purchase the soldering ring terminals and connectors as well. Heat shrink those also

If it helps, as far as subs, I mostly listen to punk, garage, and some metal and hard rock, so I'd want some oomph in probably the 60hz to 80hz range. But nothing to be heard all over the block,

Wowzer! Great responses! So an update...

...Next week getting a Pioneer AVH-2550NEX Head unit install.
Plan on using my factory speakers next few weeks, but have plans to upgrade via adding the front speakers listed below, and adding a sub package with enclosure and amp,

Dual 8" 1,400 Watt SDR Series Complete Subwoofer Package with Vented Enclosure and Amplifier
(mostly listen to punk, hard rock, and garage rock, So I really dont need mega sub bass)
https://www.skaraudio.com/products/...8-inch-complete-bass-package-subwoofer-system

165 V20 - Focal 6.5" 70W RMS Polyglass Series 2-Way Component Speakers OM System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010C1SOW2/?tag=caraudiocom-20

I plan to continue to use the factory 6x9 speakers for rear fill and have em powered by the head unit, I'll wanna use external amplification for the Focals up front, any recommendations for a 2 channel amp roughly 50 to 70 watts?

Would the crossover built into the Pioneer head unit suffice over the crossovers built into the amps.

Sorry, kinda outta the loop, would I also need the big 3 that you all recommend?

Help a me outs! Thanks!

Last edited:
Wowzer! Great responses! So an update...

...Next week getting a Pioneer AVH-2550NEX Head unit install.
Plan on using my factory speakers next few weeks, but have plans to upgrade via adding the front speakers listed below, and adding a sub package with enclosure and amp,

Dual 8" 1,400 Watt SDR Series Complete Subwoofer Package with Vented Enclosure and Amplifier
(mostly listen to punk, hard rock, and garage rock, So I really dont need mega sub bass)
https://www.skaraudio.com/products/...8-inch-complete-bass-package-subwoofer-system

165 V20 - Focal 6.5" 70W RMS Polyglass Series 2-Way Component Speakers OM System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010C1SOW2/?tag=caraudiocom-20

I plan to continue to use the factory 6x9 speakers for rear fill and have em powered by the head unit, I'll wanna use external amplification for the Focals up front, any recommendations for a 2 channel amp roughly 50 to 70 watts?

Would the crossover built into the Pioneer head unit suffice over the crossovers built into the amps.

Sorry, kinda outta the loop, would I also need the big 3 that you all recommend?

Help a me outs! Thanks!
I would Still Recommend getting THE BIG3 done in 0ga OFC. I would cover/ and cap off the rear deck speakers from getting damaged from the subs air pressure pushing on the rear speaker cones.Can be done with a little work with 3/8" or even 1/4' plywood and some L brackets and a little time using some cardboard to cut and use as templets. This is a pretty decent little 2 ch amplifier Ive installed on some front stages and does very well for as little as it cost.

Last edited:
Would that Big Jeffs amp be too much power for the focals? Their max rms is 70 watts.
Ive even put this amplifier on 5.25 60-90 rms and up to 125 rms 6.5s as well as Coax speakers, and even on 40RMS + tweeters and have ran on 6.5-8" mids @2ohms. Great little 2ch amp

That jbl amp will work just fine. FYI, you could go a hair higher on wattage, 70-80 wouldn't be a problem. You might miss a decibal or two at full volume. (That shouldn't matter).

THERE'S NO WAY IN HELL, you are playing those subs on your factory alt for the long term. (I read DUAL, and thought oh come on)..

You did see that the subs alone are also on there:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V2NFXZ7/?tag=caraudiocom-20 $169, without the amp, but that amp package will work great for those. You can then buy the amp from skar for $127. They will still ship the amp for free, and you can save yourself $47 buying them separately. (JUST LOOKED BACK, AND MISSED THAT THE PACKAGE COMES WITH WIRING. SO IT'S PROBABLY ABOUT EVEN).

Back to your alt: that amp is rated higher than listed at 906w x 1 RMS @ 1ohm (https://www.skaraudio.com/products/rp-800-1d-car-amplifier ) and 90% efficient.
906w / .9 = 1006 watts amp draw. Then divide by voltage 14.4v = 69.9 amp draw, (plus your other amp which is about 10amps). You will definitely NEED to do the big 3.

You should have a 105 amp factory alt. You don't NEED to do it right away, but when you play your stereo, and your headlights dim is usually the easiest sign, then your circuit is too small: the battery (including it's wiring/big 3), your wiring, your connections, something need to be upgraded for the larger draw.

When you play your stereo, and your voltage starts to drop over time, your alternator is not keeping up. It's not able to recharge at a rate equal to or greater than what you are using. I would bet it would take about an hour to two hours at full volume of heavy bass music, with your factory 105 alt to drop your battery below unusable. Unusable meaning, you are not going to want to use your vehicle's electronics like windows, headlights, and eventually when it gets way to the bottom, you won't have any power for fuel injection and your ECU. Long before that it will drop below 12v, and then you might not be able to get it restarted. If it drops that low, you will want to turn the stereo off, and drive a while until it recharges. Doing that is also not good for your factory similar battery. Maybe you can hold out while you search for a deal on an alternator, but when you put that in, it's going to eat at you to play it.

With this setup, until you upgrade the alt, you will be restricted to playing it what I would guess is about 1/2 the time you are driving, (because you will need to let it recharge OR JUST TURN IT DOWN), to keep your battery from dropping to low.

Until you do get an alt, I would keep a real close eye on your battery voltage. If you're not someone that checks your gauges, take a glance at least every minute, and see how long at full volume, with your headlights AND AC on. If you charge a phone or use the cig lighter, or any other plug-ins you might have, get those goin too, really try to find the max limits. If your vehicle has electric engine fans, the: weather, stop and go traffic, and the AC should turn those on (since those are the biggest power draw in a vehicle), and see how long it takes for it to drop to 13v. Then see how long it takes for you to turn it off and go from 13 up to 14ish volts. Then do it again from 14V to 12V and back up to 14v. That should help you plan better to get your voltage back up before you shut it off. I would also turn the stereo off, and let the battery voltage get up to 13v or more before shutting the vehicle off every time. There's some wiggle room, but this should help you know what you need to be aware of, until it's upgraded and make sure you can start back up next time.

Last edited:
In my opinion, factory wiring should be sufficient for the factory alternator at full load or else we would have fires and there would be lawsuits up the azz. Grounds too. Doing the big three on factory alternators won’t hurt, but it’s not going to create any miracles either

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...