Tips to avoid getting jacked

i saw this on termpro and being that we dont have a sticky for something like this i think it would be good info
Please feel free to add more to this list!

• ALWAYS use common sense. Don't 'bump' where you live, esp. if you live in an apartment

• If at all possible, avoid putting any stickers on your car (be it performance or audio) they just scream "steal me! steal me!"

• If you go to car shows/soundoffs, I suggest removing your license plate temporarily. This will at least make it hard for people to remember your car is packing what gear(s)

• Consider getting dark limo tint and car cover. Remember - out of sight, out of mind.

• when you go to a mall or a store, turn down your system at least 2 miles BEFORE you get there. When a thief hears you bumpin down the road, he will follow you till you park and jack your equipment when you leave. Anybody who's desperate for money will do ANYTHING to steal something.

• Please Please Please install an alarm. I know about 30 people who pack thousands of dollars worth of competition-grade Audio Equipments in their SPL vehicles and they don't even have a $100 car alarm How stupid can you be..

• 'modify' your car alarm.. It might be an overkill, but I'll install 10 additional siren around the car - two inside the hood, two underneath beside the cat, two in the trunk, and four in the cabin. Thieves don't have enough time to cut all those wires while they're blaring 130bD.

• I betcha right now I can guess where you all have your alarm brains.. they're under the dash. right? that thing can be disabled in less than 5 seconds! Don't be a fool, move that brain somewhere hidden. Mine has mixed wire colors and false wires all around, Not even a professional installer can unload it.

• modify your Kickpanels to hide the hood release latch under the dash. Mine is covering the whole thing so you will have to reach inside the kicks to pop the hood. One time I took it in for an oil change it took the guy about 10 minutes to figure out where the hood release is This is extremely important so that the thief can't disconnect your +12 source and disable your alarm.

• I can't emphasize enough how extremely important security screws are. These are oddly-shaped head screws that you can get from any hardware store. Nearly ALL thieves carry a flat screwdriver and/or phillips screwdriver all the time. A hex or square head screw will definately slow them down. If your amp is bolted to the amp rack like this, there's NO WAY they can take your equipment.. but make sure your amp rack is bolted as well.

• Ask your insurance provider if they can cover your equipment.

• Be careful on who you show your system to... remember that every person is a possible thief. Even people who post here.

• Don't leave anything "interesting" inside your car (cellphone, jewelry, heck even a quarter) this will only attract passerbys that can possibly lead to theft.

• make sure all your fuses are good and have the right rating. Moreover, make sure your equipments are FUSED. In worst case scenario, after an equipment is stolen, wirings short out literally putting the car on fire.

The next time you roll down the parking lot, remember to keep them bass down cause having a system is like having ***--- you'll never know when you're gonna get jacked //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

4 more info heres the original thread

http://audioforum.termpro.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/15/t/000677.html

please read its very helpfull knowledge

Man... you haven't been active since 11-16-2014

Great thread, sadly the awesome sound system in my signature was stolen in 2012. I also thought it was unstealable since my trunk opening is so small, I had to remove my rear seats and cut and bend metal to get the box in. Then I bent the metal back and put the seats back in once I had the box in. Also the subs were so close to the edge of the trunk they couldn't be unscrewed from the box and taken out. Sadly and amazingly they shattered both side windows and they completely destroyed my back seats, they didn't take them out correctly, and they bent that metal I had to bend and they got it all. I couldn't believe it. Not only have I never been able to afford to replace what they stole but they significantly damaged my car in the process. I never got my rear seats fixed. It's unbelievable what some people will do. Never thought it would happen to me. I'm glad to see all these safety precautions so I can be better prepared in the future.

Wow to read some of the stuff that happens and these tips are really helpful! Thanks for the tips and sorry to hear what has happened to some of you. I always turned mine down to not wake the neighbors, but I guess it has helped me in more ways then one aha. Also my rents always told me not to show my crap to random idiots.

But still a lot of useful advice!

• Please Please Please install an alarm. I know about 30 people who pack thousands of dollars worth of competition-grade Audio Equipments in their SPL vehicles and they don't even have a $100 car alarm How stupid can you be..
This one ^ so well put and that's me aha and thanks, I've been meaning too, but I really should stress it a little more as well as extra horns :p

Chains or cables with enough space to unlock them and a basic alarm with backup seems to work well... add a hood pin and trunk pin as well and the **** thing even gets on the owners nerves as well... very effective... if it's time consuming for the owner to bypass, imagine how it is for the thief... another thing is if you can, STAY UNDER THE WINDOW LINE!.. Everyone loves a wall... but most of those are garage kept... I'd suspect. My previous neighbor in an apartment complex had 4 beautiful 15'S in a double cab truck, but you can't limo tint the windshield and the resulting sight was truly inspirational! Someone else was inspired by it as well... it was gone in 2 months!

Chains or cables with enough space to unlock them and a basic alarm with backup seems to work well... add a hood pin and trunk pin as well and the **** thing even gets on the owners nerves as well... very effective... if it's time consuming for the owner to bypass, imagine how it is for the thief... another thing is if you can, STAY UNDER THE WINDOW LINE!.. Everyone loves a wall... but most of those are garage kept... I'd suspect. My previous neighbor in an apartment complex had 4 beautiful 15'S in a double cab truck, but you can't limo tint the windshield and the resulting sight was truly inspirational! Someone else was inspired by it as well... it was gone in 2 months!
Beating a dead horse.

Here's a protip from me:

Don't leave your vehicle running unattended when doing demos. I was standing about 30 meters away from my car and some boon hopped out of the bushes and into my ride when I was demoing it at full blast at 2am in a park that's far far far away from any houses. Thankfully he couldn't drive stick, so I just ran up and was like "WHAT THE FUKKKK?????? NI**A WHO IS YOU????" and he just dissapeared into the bushes again.

Im white lol but those were the exact words that came out of my mouth. Just had a gangsta moment I guess.

Had my car been automatic, that ****** woulda got my car and my system lmao..i cant believe this actually happened to me.

and yes no racism but yes he was black if you're wondering..

Only time I've ever had anything stolen werey x15s and wound up being someone I worked with. I've just always been smart. Don't bump working a mile of where I live, turn it down at red lights(which is a good look for all bassheads to help people stop thinking were all loud @ssh0le 16 year olds lol) and never go slamming around parking lots. Unless I see a kicker decal in front of me in the drive through. Then it's full tilt for 30 seconds and a friendly wave and smile:fro: but I've also learned to use t20 or t25 head screws or any odd ball bit screw. And don't use 4 of the same on one amp. I use a Phillips on one corner, a t 25 on one, a t20 and a flat head on the last. Same with my subs. Use a couple different ones. Takes a extra few min and swapping bits but most theifs don't have a fully loaded tool box.

Only time I've ever had anything stolen werey x15s and wound up being someone I worked with. I've just always been smart. Don't bump working a mile of where I live, turn it down at red lights(which is a good look for all bassheads to help people stop thinking were all loud @ssh0le 16 year olds lol) and never go slamming around parking lots. Unless I see a kicker decal in front of me in the drive through. Then it's full tilt for 30 seconds and a friendly wave and smile:fro: but I've also learned to use t20 or t25 head screws or any odd ball bit screw. And don't use 4 of the same on one amp. I use a Phillips on one corner, a t 25 on one, a t20 and a flat head on the last. Same with my subs. Use a couple different ones. Takes a extra few min and swapping bits but most theirs don't have a fully loaded tool box.
smart with the screws on subs.. never had anything stole.. now cop lives across the street maybe little safer.. used to have car stereo ins yrs ago when i worked at shop cause i had receipt's showing my stuff cost twice what it did so if it got stole i'd get at least full retail and i coulda got it replaced for 1/2 that lol..

Here's a protip from me:
Don't leave your vehicle running unattended when doing demos. I was standing about 30 meters away from my car and some boon hopped out of the bushes and into my ride when I was demoing it at full blast at 2am in a park that's far far far away from any houses. Thankfully he couldn't drive stick, so I just ran up and was like "WHAT THE FUKKKK?????? NI**A WHO IS YOU????" and he just dissapeared into the bushes again.

Im white lol but those were the exact words that came out of my mouth. Just had a gangsta moment I guess.

Had my car been automatic, that ****** woulda got my car and my system lmao..i cant believe this actually happened to me.

and yes no racism but yes he was black if you're wondering..
What's even more retarded is demo'ing at 2 am....most times during the daytime hours where you CAN SEE is best.

That's not a protip bro,....that's common sense.

Instead of using drywall screws to hold everything down, subs, amps, etc....I use allenhead bolts, and t-nuts. On everything. Make it hard for thieves to steal it. Everyone has been a victim of theft at least once in their life. The next build gotta be smart about it. Spend that extra 5 bucks on hardware they will take time to dash and grab because I can guarantee ya it's unlikely to happen. They wanna be as fast as possible.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...