Thoughts Before I Buy

Blackout67

CarAudio.com Regular
Ohio
Found this on Facebook marketplace for only $100. Guy says it's between 2-2 1/2 cubic feet tuned to 30hz. Main concern is this guy says it's a horn enclosure. I'm not too knowledgeable on horn enclosures but I'm not even sure if this I a true horn. Most of the horns I've seen are either like a bandpass type deal or they are transmission lines that open up towards the end of the port. This one appears to be just double in port area at the bend as you can see in the picture. The guy said he had a DS18 ZXI 12 inch but I've no experience with DS18 but my buddy has a Sundown U12 v1 laying around h'll let me borrow and a JP8 to put it on. What would that sound like?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240609-212805.png
    Screenshot_20240609-212805.png
    325.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20240609-212906.png
    Screenshot_20240609-212906.png
    142.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Because of the huge port area it seems like there will be very little cone control. May be just right for an SPL sub since they have a heavy spider and surround.
Yea from what I've seen they are very efficient and the power handling goes down because of that and hits peak excursion easier

Agreed, doesn't look to be an actual horn loaded enclosure but is't hard to tell as the port may just have the hard turns rounded out for airflow. Horn loaded bass enclosures usually have the driver enclosed within the horn and you don't actually see the drivers.

Agreed, doesn't look to be an actual horn loaded enclosure but is't hard to tell as the port may just have the hard turns rounded out for airflow. Horn loaded bass enclosures usually have the driver enclosed within the horn and you don't actually see the drivers.
Thats what I was thinking. Ive also seen horn enclosures thaat are like transmission line boxes that have the subwoofer baffle on an outside wall but Im not quite sure how long the port is I cant really tell from the pictures. The dimensions of the box are 36x14x20

This is the build pic he sent me. Doesn't really look quite long enough does it?

Attachments

• received_1404248310277849.jpeg
    received_1404248310277849.jpeg
    544.1 KB · Views: 12
Seems like maybe it would be pretty good for SPL. Maybe put a high excursion sub in there and half rated power since the port is so good it'd be really efficient

This is just a slot ported enclosure. He's thinking horn loaded because the slot fires into a bigger port. I am just wondering if the tuning is higher than he thinks. From the looks of that port, I am guessing 40-45hz
Looks like a pretty long port tho. Atleast 2 21/2 feet. Box is 36 inches long

Last edited:
This is the build pic he sent me. Doesn't really look quite long enough does it?
Doesnt look like that enclosure would handle more than 1k-1300 rms maybe? I wouldnt trust it for any more than that myself. Single baffled and no real internal supports. Too much power and that box will start to come apart if not screwed together. Thats what Im seeing for myself. And the baffle will not support a heavy sub at that. Thats me though

Seems like maybe it would be pretty good for SPL. Maybe put a high excursion sub in there and half rated power since the port is so good it'd be really efficient
Id be careful about which sub you put in it without any bracing, and id find out if its stapled or brad nailed? Id prefer deck screws myself

This is just a slot ported enclosure. He's thinking horn loaded because the slot fires into a bigger port. I am just wondering if the tuning is higher than he thinks. From the looks of that port, I am guessing 40-45hz
I'll bet you are right about that man, I myself was thinking 38Htz on up to 45 by the looks, and just a simple ported enclosure.Nothing special that I can see. deff no internal bracing for a heavy hitter/spl type sub,and single baffle??? Id be cautious of putting more than 1200 rms on that enclosure .Tuning and the right enclosure from the sub is everything that makes all the difference in performance

Thats what I was thinking. Ive also seen horn enclosures thaat are like transmission line boxes that have the subwoofer baffle on an outside wall but Im not quite sure how long the port is I cant really tell from the pictures. The dimensions of the box are 36x14x20
Are those dimensions including the take out of the wood? Is that 5/8" or 3/4" or?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...