Thin / Shallow High Quality Subs?

30DZ
10+ year member

I just got an suv the other day (mazda cx-9) I can't get a regular sub box and put it in there because I need the trunk / cargo space for work. So I'm right now trying to research to see if it's possible to do some kind of stealth install. I found some other person on another forum doing a similar type install in his CX-5 and here's a diagram of what he's doing. However only difference mine is only one amp, and I'm planning on getting it installed underneath where the jack is. I have a Sundown SAZ-1500D it's a 1 channel 1500 watt amp. So, I don't know if this will work for 2 subs might have to sell it. I had originally got it for an XCON 15 for my old car but, getting the box built was a disaster and ended up giving up and selling the sub.

So, for the CX-9 can somebody recommend some thin / shallow high quality subs and possible an amp if necessary? I'm willing to spend a few hundred on each sub and amp. Really want a high quality and low bass if possible with thin/shallow subs. Can anybody recommend the best ones? I'm pretty sure SSA's are out of the question because of how big the magnets are right? Wouldn't be able to get into the side walls right?

Here's that pic of somebody else's design:

finishmediumjb0.jpg

The Sundown amp you have is a mono amp. It'll work for one sub or you can hook up 5 to it if you want. Just cause it's a mono doesn't mean it's for one sub. It means its a single channel. That's all. I've heard Type R shallow mounts and thought they sounded great. They're really expensive though.

Thanks for the quick replies. The MKIII's look pretty sick, how much do they run? these look like custom built subs or something like SSA? since it says on their site that pre-ordering has stopped, or is that since they aren't fully out yet? i'd like to find a company that does custom or limited type stuff something serious like SSA and rather stay away from mainstream brands like Alpine etc but I did look it up on ebay and they look pretty awesome too I see them going for $318 each I would be willing to spend that much. Now just need to figure out what amp would go good with these subs, if the Sundown I have is too much power or what (EDIT: nevermind see a suggestion above, Mmats, will check it out) . I'd like to get more feeback on the MKIII's though, where can I get them?

Sell the sundown....turn a profit. But the Mmats. Much smaller footprint.

And I wouldn't hesitate to run the new shallow Alpine Type R's either. So if you can find them on sale somewhere....great.

Sell the sundown....turn a profit. But the Mmats. Much smaller footprint.
And I wouldn't hesitate to run the new shallow Alpine Type R's either. So if you can find them on sale somewhere....great.
Ok awesome because I think it's going to be difficult to find the MKIII's I might just go with the Alpine's then. Which MMat amp you think would be good, here's two I found on ebay, one is a competition amp almost twice the price but, I wouldn't mind getting it if it was that much better.

Here's the D800.2 - D800.2 MMATS PRO CAR 1 CHANNEL AMP MONO 800W MAX SUB SUBWOOFER AMPLIFIER NEW | eBay

SQ-2175 - SQ-2175 MMATS AMP 2 CHANNEL 550 WATT RMS COMPETITION SOUND QUALITY AMPLIFIER | eBay

or would you recommend another MMats model to run the Alpine's? The Alpine's are 600W rms each, so not sure if the 2175 would be enough or not? Would the D800 even be enough?

I'd really like to get everything brand new so don't think the first one is gonna work, the second one looks like an old listing from 2011 did an ebay search for "HiFi 6150D" nothing came up. Plus would I need a 6 ch?
You won't find most of these brands "new" on ebay. Usually you have to go to an online store or order from factory.

You won't find most of these brands "new" on ebay. Usually you have to go to an online store or order from factory.
that's a good sign then, people must really like them so they aren't selling them. well i found mmat's site and sent them an email to see if they can recommend me an amp for the swr-t12's will see what they say and then probably just get whichever one they recommend

thanks again for all your quick help

Well if you ever want to upgrade the stock speakers.....a 6 channel the size of the 6150 can't be beat. It is smaller than the sundown you have, gives 1000 rms on channels 5 and 6 bridged - perfect for the alpines.

So if at some point you want more sound, than boom.....it is ideal. Prolly get one for about a grand.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.