There's too many head units, help choose

Savan

Ohio
Could someone help me choose a new head unit?

I am leaning towards Pioneer just because people seem to have the best performance with that brand from what I've been hearing and seeing online.

It's going into a 2011 corolla, so double-din.

I would like for it to have most, if not all of the audio adjustment features, such as time alignment and multi-band EQ.

I would consider spending a little more on the big touch screen if i can be convinced that it is worth it. What more do you get out of having the full touch screen? Keep in mind that i am not interested in GPS or android auto because of the significant price jump. Realistically, I would only really want the big screen if i can run Waze GPS. That would be ideal, but if it isnt possible to do then i dont see the point of the touch screen unless i could be convinced otherwise.

Lastly, i was told that preout voltage is an important factor. From my understanding, higher preout can mean less distortion noise and also less work for the amplifier to perform, correct me if im wrong. But its for that reason that i would like three 4V preouts.

Thats pretty much it. I cant seem to find a solid choice between a non-touch screen vs a touch screen with all of those features i am looking for (aside from the waze gps for the non-touchscreen obviously).

Any input on this matter is greatly appreciated.

pioneer 2800 bs
Or if you dont care about touch screen this is cheaper

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130S701BS/Pioneer-FH-S701BS.html?tp=72406

Both Have every audio option you need and 4 volt preout.

I'm pretty sure i lnked that same double din on your other thread....
Yes, you did link me that one and it's definitely my top choice right now. Pioneers method of naming these devices is kind of confusing. I am trying to get an understanding of their pricing and model naming vs their differences if that makes sense. Also, nobody around me carries the 2800bs. I will order it online if I need to.

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

You're $100 short from getting the hi- resolution unit
What's the Hi res model and is it worth the extra hundred

Yes, you did link me that one and it's definitely my top choice right now. Pioneers method of naming these devices is kind of confusing. I am trying to get an understanding of their pricing and model naming vs their differences if that makes sense. Also, nobody around me carries the 2800bs. I will order it online if I need to. 

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

What's the Hi res model and is it worth the extra hundred
hell yea it is. jvc kw-m740bt

pioneer 2800 bs
Or if you dont care about touch screen this is cheaper

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130S701BS/Pioneer-FH-S701BS.html?tp=72406

Both Have every audio option you need and 4 volt preout.

I'm pretty sure i lnked that same double din on your other thread....
Is there a newer model of the 2800bs? Most places are saying that it is no longer available. Could you recommend a different model that i can purchase from Amazon or Crutchfield? I don't have any car audio stores near me besides Best buy, which also does not carry the 2800bs.

Alpine has the best audio shaping tools with the 9 band parametric EQ in their non touch screen double din is around $280. Their touch screen jumps to $700 though so way out of your budget if you want touch screen. Pioneer only has a 13 band graphic EQ. If you use a DSP though than of course it doesn't matter.

Pioneer PRS80 is probably the most processing power you can buy for under 1000$ and it's within your budget. If you care about processing power you wouldn't look beyond that.

Alpine and Kenwood both make solid head units so as long as you aren't shopping in the bottom end of their lineups Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood shouldn't disappoint with performance and you might just go to some brick and mortars and poke around at them and see which you like the look and feel of best and go from there.

I've also had good luck with Jensen and JVC head units so don't rule out those brands

4V preamp outs are nice, though usually they're only better because they're designed and marketed towards guys who run amps as opposed to the high level outs and not so much because 2V is inadequate to get the job done. If you don't have a garbage install or bottom of the barrel amp a 2V preamp out head unit should be fine provided it's middle of the road or higher in that brand.

If you're really wishy washy, might consider putting up the extra few bucks to buy from Best Buy and have them deliver to your local store for pickup that way if you just don't like it you'll have an easier time exchanging it.

Amazon, ebay and jet all have it.
Oooo I do see it on Amazon now. How do you feel about the 391bhs or 491bhs, which I think are the same but one has the bigger screen. I believe those are the newer models to the 2800bs. They cost more than the 2800bs if I bought from Amazon, but it doesn't come out to be too much of a price difference after paying for the install parts I need if I bought the 2800bs from Amazon as opposed to buying the 391bhs on Crutchfield, which includes all the install gear for free besides steering control.

The out the door cost of the 2800bs from Amazon is coming to about $250.

The out the door cost of the 391bhs from Crutchfield is coming to $300.

Would you say the extra fifty dollars is worth it for the 391bhs? For example, faster processor, better touch response... Things like that are what I'm concerned about because I have limited patience when I'm driving lol

Oooo I do see it on Amazon now. How do you feel about the 391bhs or 491bhs, which I think are the same but one has the bigger screen. I believe those are the newer models to the 2800bs. They cost more than the 2800bs if I bought from Amazon, but it doesn't come out to be too much of a price difference after paying for the install parts I need if I bought the 2800bs from Amazon as opposed to buying the 391bhs on Crutchfield, which includes all the install gear for free besides steering control.The out the door cost of the 2800bs from Amazon is coming to about $250.

The out the door cost of the 391bhs from Crutchfield is coming to $300.

Would you say the extra fifty dollars is worth it for the 391bhs? For example, faster processor, better touch response... Things like that are what I'm concerned about because I have limited patience when I'm driving lol
no experience with the 391 bhs but the 2800 is not laggy at all.

Pioneer PRS80 is probably the most processing power you can buy for under 1000$ and it's within your budget. If you care about processing power you wouldn't look beyond that.
Alpine and Kenwood both make solid head units so as long as you aren't shopping in the bottom end of their lineups Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood shouldn't disappoint with performance and you might just go to some brick and mortars and poke around at them and see which you like the look and feel of best and go from there.

I've also had good luck with Jensen and JVC head units so don't rule out those brands

4V preamp outs are nice, though usually they're only better because they're designed and marketed towards guys who run amps as opposed to the high level outs and not so much because 2V is inadequate to get the job done. If you don't have a garbage install or bottom of the barrel amp a 2V preamp out head unit should be fine provided it's middle of the road or higher in that brand.

If you're really wishy washy, might consider putting up the extra few bucks to buy from Best Buy and have them deliver to your local store for pickup that way if you just don't like it you'll have an easier time exchanging it.
I second that DEH-80PRS Pioneer unit. I have one and it puts every other HU I have owned to shame, I used to be an Alpine fan but Pioneer converted me. Just get an 80PRS and a double-din install kit and you'll be set.
Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.